Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Around the League: Training Camp

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    ... Maurice Jones-Drew is also holding out and I can't blame him. What they've done to him in Jacksonville should be criminal.
    Why? Didn't they sign him to a $31 million (5 year) extension 3 years ago? That's an average of over $6 mil. per, and probably a high amount back then.
    If I'm reading this right, he has approx. $4 1/2 and $5 mil. for 2012/13.
    Again, why is what the Jags are doing "criminal" according to you? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Eric Steinbach signs a 1 yr deal with the Dolphins
    Should be able to beat out Icognito for the starting LG spot.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Should be able to beat out Icognito for the starting LG spot.
    Most def, and he's a better fit with the new scheme of Philbin's anyway

Thought this might be of interest to some, since the Ravens had this player for a short time.

By Nick Fierro, Of The Morning Call

9:52 p.m. EDT, July 25, 2012
    Like Evan Mathis the year before, D.J. Jones hopes his journey stops here this year, with the Philadelphia Eagles and perhaps the most respected offensive line coach of his generation.

Jones, claimed off waivers by the Eagles last January just hours before the Baltimore Ravens had planned to re-sign him, is with his third team in two seasons and has looked like a solid pick-up since last month's minicamps.

His most memorable play unfolded in June, when he stood his ground without even being budged while third-round pick Vinny Curry went straight into him with his best (and, in retrospect, ill-advised) bull rush. Curry's legs buckled as if he had run into a brick wall, and one of them stayed that way for weeks as he missed the remainder of minicamp with a high ankle sprain.

So Jones' strength and power is undisputedly NFL-caliber. So is his mind, as his degree from the University of Nebraska suggests. Only the athleticism needed to work within position coach Howard Mudd's demanding framework is to be determined. But so far he's doing a bang-up job, pun intended.

"I like some of the things I've seen from him," Mudd said. "I like what I'm seeing from all of [the offensive linemen]. ... But the thing is now doing it in the [preseason] games."

Most of Jones' repetitions have been coming at left tackle, but he has lined up on the right side too and has been asked to learn both guard spots — another sign that the staff is high on him. If the coaches thought he was limited, they'd narrow his focus.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/football...,6993853.story

Mike Wallace is holding out. The Steelers have been using Emmanuel Sanders in his spot. I think that he will eventually report, but this could be a wake-up call for fans who think that Brown would flourish without Wallace. Brown's route running still needs to improve, he is not the vertical threat that Wallace is and I could see teams doubling down on him. Eventually, a choice will have to be made. I just think that this could bring people down to earth about the comparison.

Maurice Jones-Drew is also holding out and I can't blame him. What they've done to him in Jacksonville should be criminal.
    For the Steelers, they seem to find wideouts.
    They still have Cotchery and they drafted Toney Clemons.
    He is 6'2", 210 and runs in the 4.4-4.5 range.
    He has a 36" vertical and pretty good hands. (Yes, I know he is a 7th rounder from Colorado)
    I'm thinking they will try to get him into the lineup as much as they can if he performs early.
    And remember, the Steelers have changed up their offense this year, so let's see.
    They brought in some good, young talent on the Oline, have some big TEs.
    They have Redman and Clay as big backs and Rainey as a scatback back there.
    I wouldn't doubt if they try to run it more.

Blog Entries

I also expect the Steelers to try and run the ball more. However, I do not expect them to be good enough at it to lead them to a division title. The one person that might have the most trouble adjusting is the QB. He also has a tendency to hold onto the ball longer than he should, at times, but has made a living off of it. When you combine his ability to extend the length of plays, with the speed of Mike Wallace, you had a dangerous combination. Even with a new system, Ben is still going to want to extend the play.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

A vertical threat? I hope you mean that he extends the play vertical away from the line by virtue of his speed, and not jumping for the ball. That in fact is his main criticism. He does have trouble catching the ball in traffic. In fact, if he can learn to do that, he will be a major threat. In the meantime, him holding out is not doing him any good. The Steelers signed Brown pretty big, and that was rumored to be message for Wallace that the office would take care of him.

I think he will eventually come around. The word is he is not taking any advice from his agent and that talks have broken off. We will see.

Mike Wallace is holding out. The Steelers have been using Emmanuel Sanders in his spot. I think that he will eventually report, but this could be a wake-up call for fans who think that Brown would flourish without Wallace. Brown's route running still needs to improve, he is not the vertical threat that Wallace is and I could see teams doubling down on him. Eventually, a choice will have to be made. I just think that this could bring people down to earth about the comparison.

Maurice Jones-Drew is also holding out and I can't blame him. What they've done to him in Jacksonville should be criminal.

Mendy should be back by then anyway.

Redman is going to have trouble taking the majority of snaps for a full season, for the first time. He will wear down toward the end of the season.