Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Camp notes ~ daily updates

Curtis Painter is terrible.

They should bounce his ass and just see what they have in Brantley and Chester Stewart. They're probably not going to carry more than 2 QB's anyway.

OR, bring in some other vet...Dennis Dixon and Kyle Boller are available. As weird as it is to say, Boller is probably better than Painter haha.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Bobbie Williams has been a very good guard for the Bengals over the years...even the last couple.

His only issue besides being older is he seems to annually get a season ending injury during the second half of the season.

As long as he can play, I have absolutely no problem...none at all about his play at LG.

“I’m not going to have as much of a headache anymore playing Cincinnati,” Ngata joked. “Bobbie and I used to go at all the time and we have so much respect for each other.”

Blog Entries

two things about Painter...

#1 - We don't know that any of the other QBs didn't have a similar experience. They didn't report on Taylor or anyone else. So that could just be intrigue on how Painter looked. Also consider, unlike Taylor, he was in a different system last year, with different personell. Give him some time and see if he improves...

#2 - I saw that Flacco threw a pretty bad pick 6 in a practice this week, but the reporter noted that it was a pass Flacco probably wouldn't have tried in a game. Literally, he just floated a laugher in the air because it doesn't count right now. So, that could be the case with at least a few of Painter's picks.

Just saying...it's the first practice, let's not destroy the guy yet.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

They should bounce his ass and just see what they have in Brantley and Chester Stewart. They're probably not going to carry more than 2 QB's anyway.

OR, bring in some other vet...Dennis Dixon and Kyle Boller are available. As weird as it is to say, Boller is probably better than Painter haha.
    I think it Curtis Painter is really just a camp body brought in to light a fire under Tyrod Taylor. Sometimes one can get a little lackdaisal or too comfortable in the absence of competition. I think the Ravens are just keeping Tyrod in check

All I know is that Painter looked absolutely dreadful when he was playing with the Colts.

This may have been a signing on the advice/favor for his former HC.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I know it is way early and really I am not saying throw Painter out after the first day...

But I always liked Dennis Dixon. I always believed he would have won the Heisman his senior year if he hadn't tore his knee.
    Dixon and Taylor have the same sort of style.
    The feeling for me is if Flacco were to get hurt, it is because he was getting hit so much.
    So, you would WANT a quarterback that could move away from the rush.
    Either one of those players, to me, would put an enormous amount of pressure on a defense having to account for a QB that can actually run as fast as any runningback but ACTUALLY be able to throw and buy extra time to pass as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Bobbie Williams has been a very good guard for the Bengals over the years...even the last couple.

His only issue besides being older is he seems to annually get a season ending injury during the second half of the season.

As long as he can play, I have absolutely no problem...none at all about his play at LG.
    I was just gonna you were the one that called for Bobbie Williams way before anybody knew he'd be an option.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    I know it is way early and really I am not saying throw Painter out after the first day...

But I always liked Dennis Dixon. I always believed he would have won the Heisman his senior year if he hadn't tore his knee.
    Dixon and Taylor have the same sort of style.
    The feeling for me is if Flacco were to get hurt, it is because he was getting hit so much.
    So, you would WANT a quarterback that could move away from the rush.
    Either one of those players, to me, would put an enormous amount of pressure on a defense having to account for a QB that can actually run as fast as any runningback but ACTUALLY be able to throw and buy extra time to pass as well.
    Dixon had a tryout here along with Painter and Boller...Painter "won"

This could be like when we had Troy Smith and Jon Beck backing up Flacco. I know the rules have changed, so you don't have to worry about Wildcat QB vs true backup QB, but Tyrod probably moves well but maybe doesn't have the arm strength that would suit Flacco's style. Thus, you might want a backup who could possess an arm strength like Flacco so that if you change QBs, you don't necessarily need to change the way you run the offense as much.

To me, unless the FO is not confident in Taylor...Dixon and Taylor have similar skillsets, and Taylor is younger and "Fresher", so more developmental upside.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Thanks for the quick focus on the #3 WR competition Please continue!

Blog Entries

I wouldn't get worked up about Painter. Tyrod will be the backup, and they will probably only carry 2 QB's again. Painter is just an extra arm for camp.

Jones vs. Doss is very intruiging....

Jones skillset would push Boldin into the slot but will he be consistent enough with his hands, routes, etc.?

Doss i love as a player but he hasnt done it on the pro level yet so there has to be a question mark there until he does. He seems to be healthy now and if so he would figure to be a more reliable player in those hands and route running categories.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I knew that the Willaims signing was going to work out.

"WILLIAMS IN SHAPE: Veteran offensive guard Bobbie Williams reported nearly 15 pounds lighter than minicamp when he was listed at 6-foot-4, 345 pounds.
    Now, the former Cincinnati Bengals starter is down to 331 pounds.
    "I can't carry it as you get up there in age," Williams said. "I'm trying to play my best football."
    Signed to a two-year, $2.9 million contract in June that includes an $800,000 signing bonus, Williams drew praise from Harbaugh for his upgraded conditioning.
    "Bobbie has done a great job," Harbaugh said. "He passed the conditioning test with flying colors. He looks to be in very good shape. He looks good.
    "

Great news. Shame that not all of our blockers can be this way... *cough* *cough*
    That guy is a really good football player. Bet he's thrilled to finally be on a good team after playing his whole career in jail.