Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Camp notes ~ daily updates

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I don't understand the uproar about Upshaw being 285lbs. Losing 10lbs is nothing at that weight. He'll lose that in training camp.
    It's interesting because he made a point of saying in May that he was weighing in the low to mid 270's and both he and the coaching staff wanted him to drop about 10-15lbs to improve lateral movement ability and explosiveness while rushing the passer.

If he's going to be asked to drop back into space and cover TE's and RB's in the flat then a 265lb Upshaw is going to be a lot more mobile and explosive than a 285lb Upshaw.

He doesn't have quick feet to begin with (as evidenced by his combine performance and pro-day performance), so being heavy is going to limit his ability in space and that could be a problem. He's still a hell of a defensive player and if the Ravens ran a strict 4-3 or 4-6 and Upshaw was a hands-in-the-dirt defensive end or something then it wouldn't be that big of a deal because he wouldn't be asked to stand up and cover guys.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

What Upshaw really needs is to be able to work out with Suggs. That's who he wants to become. It's too bad that can't happen. Nothing like the Defensive Player of the Year showing a rookie how to prepare for a season.

I remember Suggs saying that Peter Boulware was a huge help to him his rookie season. With Suggs and JJ not part of this there isn't that star for the young guys to look to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    What Upshaw really needs is to be able to work out with Suggs. That's who he wants to become. It's too bad that can't happen. Nothing like the Defensive Player of the Year showing a rookie how to prepare for a season.

I remember Suggs saying that Peter Boulware was a huge help to him his rookie season. With Suggs and JJ not part of this there isn't that star for the young guys to look to.
    maybe hes taking notes from Haloti... hes purposely gaining weight.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

It will be easier for Upshaw to drop the weight during training camp, than try to maintain 270 during that same time. He is still getting used to the league. He currently has no idea of how much hard work it takes to maintain weight and conditioning in this league. Haloti Ngata spoke in detail about this a few years ago.

Actually, I think this confirms what I often said about Upshaw, before the draft. He is much larger than the other OLB prospects, but is athletic for his size. People kept trying to compare him to guys fifteen pounds lighter, declaring that he lacked athleticism.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    It will be easier for Upshaw to drop the weight during training camp, than try to maintain 270 during that same time. He is still getting used to the league. He currently has no idea of how much hard work it takes to maintain weight and conditioning in this league. Haloti Ngata spoke in detail about this a few years ago.

Actually, I think this confirms what I often said about Upshaw, before the draft. He is much larger than the other OLB prospects, but is athletic for his size. People kept trying to compare him to guys fifteen pounds lighter, declaring that he lacked athleticism.
    :word

Blog Entries

One thing that you have to be able to do as a pass rusher is get off the ball quickly in order to catch the OT's off-balance. That alone gives the DE/OLB an advantage because the OT's are going to over-pursue and do things to try and compensate. That's when good pass rushers can set up offensive lineman.

Upshaw is going to have a tough time doing this because he's not really a "quick twitch" athlete. He's strong as an ox and he's an intelligent football player, but if he's going to turn into a Suggs type of defensive player then he's going to have to work that much harder to stay in great shape to compensate for him being a naturally "thick" guy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    One thing that you have to be able to do as a pass rusher is get off the ball quickly in order to catch the OT's off-balance. That alone gives the DE/OLB an advantage because the OT's are going to over-pursue and do things to try and compensate. That's when good pass rushers can set up offensive lineman.

Upshaw is going to have a tough time doing this because he's not really a "quick twitch" athlete. He's strong as an ox and he's an intelligent football player, but if he's going to turn into a Suggs type of defensive player then he's going to have to work that much harder to stay in great shape to compensate for him being a naturally "thick" guy.
    That is understood. I was just saying that the reality is, he couldn't possibly fully understand how to do that right now. Even Haloti Ngata had issues with that earlier in his career. He is going to have to make up for that lack of a 'quick twitch', in a similar way to the guy he is replacing (Johnson), with intelligent player, good technique and, in Upshaw's case, power to boot.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Asa Jackson has been impressive since he arrived. Team believes that he could be a productive nickel in the future. His progress could eventually supplant Cary Williams...
    Kid is smart, skilled and has flare. I think he's going to be a very good CB.

Courtney Upshaw is carrying about 285 pounds. The Ravens would like to see him get down to 270. He's thick, and his build at the moment is a lot like Pernell McPhee's. He has impressed the team with his ability to drop into coverage.
    Losing weight can be tough for the young cats, but I'd be surprised if he's not down to 275ish before September.

Gino Gradkowski is said to be tough and extremely bright yet a bit undersized. Matt Birk is noticeably bigger...Bobbie Williams is a bulldozer and a smart player with leadership skills.
    I liked the pick when I read up on his intangibles, but I never thought Gino would be big enough for 2012 play.

David Reed may have played his last game as a Raven. There isn't much organizational confidence in him. The guess here is he'll stay on PUP and when healthy enough there will be some injury settlement.
    Poor guy is just a smaller DWilliams (from a few years ago). Lots of promise, but can't stay healthy. WR corps is too deep--and we have at least two other feasible options at KR/PR (Jacoby and Asa Williams)--to keep DReed on the squad. Once upon a time, I expected quality WR production from him...

Good stuff! Keep it coming

Here's the most recent update: Asa is Acing it! What might be the real story behind the Steinbach workout? This and more HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

The reality is that if Kansas City's second best CB could get the contract that he received, Cary Williams can do better than 4-5 million per year, if he hits the open market. I can understand why he did not sign the extension.

Blog Entries

Good stuff with Asa Jackson.

Blog Entries

The reality is that if Kansas City's second best CB could get the contract that he received, Cary Williams can do better than 4-5 million per year, if he hits the open market. I can understand why he did not sign the extension.
    I agree. Williams plays a key position and is on a defense that is loaded with talent. He's in position to do well. Teams are going to notice and jump all over him next year.