Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Camp notes ~ daily updates

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Prepping him for IR.
    haha already? i guess you have to plant the seed for it to be believable.

such differing opinions on him, ravens.com reported that Harbs thinks hes developing faster than they thought he would but Tony is seeing a guy thats not fit for the 53. I guess both could be true, but just seems like the one thing hes actually great at is the one thing this team is missing, red zone jump ball WR.

on another note im glad to hear Dickson is showing improved hands. whatever was in his head last year was the culprit, which i didnt even hear about. hes always had soft hands in college, its just a matter of the game slowing down for him.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Yep Probably, he wouldnt last on PS with measurements like his.

Question, if your on IR, he cant practice etc, so how exactly does he get better from now to next year? he wont have improved any, so wouldnt it be better to take the hit, put him on the roster, so he can practice and learn so this time next year he is more pro ready?
    Who gets cut then? That's why I don't think anyone takes him from the practice squad. That means they would also have to keep him on their roster and get rid of another player. Maybe if he looked impressive in a couple of preseason games someone would sign him. Having shown nothing why would someone who had plenty of chances to draft him and didn't now guarantee him a spot on their roster?

well i havent even thought about a 53 man roster but one less DB maybe or something. But is that not a fair enough assessment of IR? he cant practice, or improve much really?
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Who gets cut then?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    well i havent even thought about a 53 man roster but one less DB maybe or something. But is that not a fair enough assessment of IR? he cant practice, or improve much really?
    IR means he's too hurt to play or practice. It's injured reserve. You are allowed to add a replacement player to the roster. If they let him practice that would go against the entire concept.

Blog Entries

If they Streeter on the PS they might as well kiss him goodbye.

6'5", 220lbs, low 4.4 speed, leaping ability, big hands, long arms...

Sorry guys. There will be multiple teams looking at poaching him off of the practice squad. The Browns, Steelers, Dolphins, Colts, and several other teams would definitely be interested in bringing him on.

If anyone is going to the PS from the WR unit it would be Deonte Thompson or Devin Goda.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

If they Streeter on the PS they might as well kiss him goodbye.

6'5", 220lbs, low 4.4 speed, leaping ability, big hands, long arms...

Sorry guys. There will be multiple teams looking at poaching him off of the practice squad. The Browns, Steelers, Dolphins, Colts, and several other teams would definitely be interested in bringing him on.

If anyone is going to the PS from the WR unit it would be Deonte Thompson or Devin Goda.
    Then why didn't they draft him? He was drafted at the bottom of round 6. Any team interested could have easily drafted him and then seen whether he made their team. They all passed. If they sign him off the practice squad they're stuck with him. He has to be on their roster and they can't put him on their practice squad no matter how he looks or plays. Unless he shows something in camp a team isn't going to just hand him a roster spot. If they liked his potential that much they would have drafted him.

With the reports about how well LaQuan Williams is playing and Doss literally fighting to make the team I see Street on the practice squad this season. And I don't see anyone grabbing him unless he really shows something in the preseason games.

Blog Entries

Then why didn't they draft him? He was drafted at the bottom of round 6. Any team interested could have easily drafted him and then seen whether he made their team. They all passed. If they sign him off the practice squad they're stuck with him. He has to be on their roster and they can't put him on their practice squad no matter how he looks or plays. Unless he shows something in camp a team isn't going to just hand him a roster spot. If they liked his potential that much they would have drafted him.

With the reports about how well LaQuan Williams is playing and Doss literally fighting to make the team I see Street on the practice squad this season. And I don't see anyone grabbing him unless he really shows something in the preseason games.
    Big difference between using a draft pick and poaching someone (for free) off of a practice squad. They're not stuck with him if they sign him off a practice squad. They can sign him to their active roster and then release him if they don't like what they see. That's not the point though. 6'5" receivers his age with that kind of speed don't grow on trees. If he were 6' or something, I'd say you are probably right, but some team out there with an open roster spot and an interest in the future of their WR unit could - and likely would - poach someone like Streeter off of the Ravens' practice squad.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Teams sign players off of practice squads all the time.

And you also have to take injuries during the season into account. While no team may claim player X right after cut day, A team that suffers injuries and lacks depth at a position in week 13 may sign them.

Hell, Derek Anderson was drafted late in the 6th round and he was claimed the second he was put on waivers.

Blog Entries

Big difference between using a draft pick and poaching someone (for free) off of a practice squad. They're not stuck with him if they sign him off a practice squad. They can sign him to their active roster and then release him if they don't like what they see. That's not the point though. 6'5" receivers his age with that kind of speed don't grow on trees. If he were 6' or something, I'd say you are probably right, but some team out there with an open roster spot and an interest in the future of their WR unit could - and likely would - poach someone like Streeter off of the Ravens' practice squad.
    He was a 6'5 receiver with that same speed before the draft too and every teams still passed on him until the end of day 3. Now if he does what Victor Cruz did in the preseason a couple of years ago then you're right. Teams absolutely pay attention to the 2nd halves of these preseason games. If that happens though he's going to make the Ravens roster. On the other hand if Streeter continues to look like he's behind the back end of the Ravens receiver depth chart, Doss and LaQuan, and he doesn't do much on special teams then I could see them taking the chance and putting him on the practice squad. There are only so many spots on a roster. What Streeter needs is to show something and earn one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Teams sign players off of practice squads all the time.

And you also have to take injuries during the season into account. While no team may claim player X right after cut day, A team that suffers injuries and lacks depth at a position in week 13 may sign them.

Hell, Derek Anderson was drafted late in the 6th round and he was claimed the second he was put on waivers.
    Anderson was a QB who looked pretty good in the preseason games. If Streeter does that same thing then some team will sign him. If he isn't that impressive in the games then teams aren't going to jump all over him because of his size and speed.

Blog Entries

He was a 6'5 receiver with that same speed before the draft too and every teams still passed on him until the end of day 3. Now if he does what Victor Cruz did in the preseason a couple of years ago then you're right. Teams absolutely pay attention to the 2nd halves of these preseason games. If that happens though he's going to make the Ravens roster. On the other hand if Streeter continues to look like he's behind the back end of the Ravens receiver depth chart, Doss and LaQuan, and he doesn't do much on special teams then I could see them taking the chance and putting him on the practice squad. There are only so many spots on a roster. What Streeter needs is to show something and earn one.
    if he shows flashes but not enough to make the team and another team with a young WR core that didnt show much is out there, why wouldnt they scoup him up for free? its a bonus draft pick that they can correct a mistake. The browns and dolphins both would fit in that category. I dont think Steeter or Thompson are going to be safe on the PS if they continue at the same pace. Streeter has shown enough in the redzone for a team to feel hes worthy, if not the ravens. Thompson is impressing by all accounts, if he continues that in preseason its going to get out there as well.
    -JAB

Big difference between using a draft pick and poaching someone (for free) off of a practice squad. They're not stuck with him if they sign him off a practice squad. They can sign him to their active roster and then release him if they don't like what they see.
    Well, they are obligated to pay him as a member of the 53-man squad for a minimum of three weeks, even if they cut him.
    Who gets cut then? That's why I don't think anyone takes him from the practice squad. That means they would also have to keep him on their roster and get rid of another player.
    Not entirely true (although they would have to cut someone). They would just have to pay him as a 53-man player for three weeks, even if they cut him before that. They could even put him on their own practice squad if they wanted to do so, according to the CBA.