Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Penn State Penalties

Don't know if anyone posted this already:
    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...hip-reduction/

1) A $60 million fine, the funds of which go to external programs for child abuse. According to the NCAA, that amount “cannot come at the expense of non-revenue sports or student-athlete scholarships.”

2) A four-year postseason ban.

3) All wins from 1998-2011 will be vacated (111 wins). Joe Paterno is no longer major college football’s winningest.

4) A reduction of 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period. This will drop the limit of offered scholarships per year to 15 and cap the total number of scholarships to 65.

5) Five years probation with a monitor.

6) The NCAA can investigate the program further after criminal proceedings.

Thoughts? Too Much? Not enough?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Penn State Penalties

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Don't know if anyone posted this already:
    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...hip-reduction/

Thoughts? Too Much? Not enough?

Wow, they just erased JoePa from the history books.

Blog Entries

They removed his statue over the weekend as well.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

They are moving the JoePa staute in front of the PSU library though.

It will serve as a reminder for everyone to keep their mouth's shut.

Blog Entries

I'm surprised the NCAA was this heavy handed. This may have been worse than the death penalty. This was fair.

Blog Entries

I dont get taking away the wins. Especially considering that they took them away the years when Sandusky was no longer with the team. The only thing it does is kill Joe Pa's legacy which was already diminished. When you look up who won the game its still going to say Penn State and he still has those wins so theyre really going out of their way to remove him from the record books. As far as everything else I think its fair. I keep hearing people bitch that "this is only hurting the players and they did nothing wrong", i get that but theyre just collateral damage. This is about money and thats the only way to punish them. The fine might be 60 million but the cost of everything else is going to be substantially more when its all done. Its unfortunate, but theyll be alright, theyll be able to transfer or choose different colleges.

Joe Pa has done a lot for the community and unfortunately one large mistake that he repeatedly made is going to tarnish that forever. sadly theyll probably remember him and forget sandusky over time. "Joe pa covered up that rape scandal, you know whats his name that raped all those kids".
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I dont get taking away the wins. Especially considering that they took them away the years when Sandusky was no longer with the team.
    The penalties were not for what Sandusky did, the penalties are for what the university and its leadership did.

Starting in 1998.

I think these penalties are both severe and as lenient as possible on the kids who are in the football program now. They can stay, and play their games, or they can leave, or they can quit football and stay at PSU without penalty.

I think this set of penalties was a very clever, more compassionate remedy than any kind of "death penalty" would have been. Kudos to the NCAA.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Wow. The NCAA brought the hammer and them some. It would have been better if Penn State just received the death penalty because these sanctions will only cause a slow death.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    The penalties were not for what Sandusky did, the penalties are for what the university and its leadership did.

Starting in 1998.

I think these penalties are both severe and as lenient as possible on the kids who are in the football program now. They can stay, and play their games, or they can leave, or they can quit football and stay at PSU without penalty.

I think this set of penalties was a very clever, more compassionate remedy than any kind of "death penalty" would have been. Kudos to the NCAA.
    good point, i still dont get what it accomplishes though.
    -JAB

Good.

This is just the beginning of what will set back that university for years.

It also goes to show that doing the right thing is very important and that self importance is not what's right.

To me its funny in a weird way that a guy and a university that enabled him spent his entire life trying to uplift his own significance yet if he had the decency of a below average human being he could've stopped a monster and been exhalted to heights he couldn't imagine.

Now his program and his school is in ruins because when faced with a test of his so called high moral compass, he failed miserably (and yes the are more involved that are culpable).

The Big 10 is going to punish them too. This is good.

I just find it interesting that no games were taken away.

NCAA and PSU know the ratings for the Ohio game at Beaver Stadium will be large.