Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

The way too early and completely irrelevant roster breakdown, because it's July (now August) and we're bored.

Weve had some threads that have talked a little about roster breakdowns and position battles. I think WR and DB are going to be the main battles at camp this year and have a few predictions but before ever seeing guys in pads is pretty much only a guess. might be funny to look back at and laugh about in a few months.

QB Flacco
    QB Taylor

last year we carried two, this year i feel we do the same. I think Painter will be available during the season if we needed him, and if we do, its probably not going to matter anyway. (2/2 week 1 roster in 2011)

RB Rice
    RB Pierce
    RB Allen

I think Berry actually makes this a tougher competition than some may think, but pierce shows why we traded up for him and earns the 2nd spot with Allen edging out Berry. (3/3)

FB Leach

no questions. (1/1)

WR Boldin
    WR Smith
    WR Doss
    WR Jones
    WR Williams
    WR Streeter

we carry 6 again, I have a feeling Thompson comes down to earth a little more once pads are on and Streeter will continue to look like a rookie but show flashes and being a redzone threat which none of the others possess and therefore is too much to leave off the roster, even if he is inconsistent elsewhere. Always possible one ends up on IR. We let Reed go as we have enough talent elsewhere for ST. (6/6)

TE Pitta
    TE Dickson
    TE Figgins/Vet

I think Pitta will end up earning the #1, but thats not to say Dickson wont get plenty of PT, it truly is a 1a/1b scenario with these two. The chemistry and consistency will be the deciding factor. I think we pick up the best blocking TE available after final cuts, moving Figgins to PS, but if not hes a cheap blocking TE they can develop during the season. (3/3)

T McKinni
    G Williams
    C Birk
    G Yanda
    T Oher
    G Osemele
    T Reid
    C Gradkowski

I think the OL is stronger this year than last with our new added depth to the point we actually carry 1 less. I think Osemele ends up starting by seasons end but Williams starts the season. Tough call and Id rather carry 9, but couldnt see the value with who we have over other positions. (8/9)

DE Ngata
    NT Cody
    DE Jones
    DE Mcphee
    DT McBean
    DE DeAngelo
    NT Jean-Baptiste
    DE/OLB McCellan

I think the team has already said theyre excited about Jean-Baptiste. McCellan is listed as a DE but played ILB and ST. I think his versatility cements him on the roster regardless. (8/8)

OLB Kruger
    ILB Lewis
    ILB McClain
    OLB Upshaw
    ILB Ellerbe
    OLB Kindle
    ILB Ayanbadejo
    ILB Carr
    * LB Chavris Williams

With Suggs on PUP, well have 1 less roster spot for atleast 8-10 weeks. By that time, with injuries and other cuts/signings we should be able to clear space for him if/when he returns. I think Carr will impress and be our next UDFA signing to make the roster. Ellerbe will hopefully prove to be a better player than most feel and Kindle shows that promise that had him selected with our fist pick 3 years ago. (8/9)

*with McBean making the roster and being suspended i believe were allowed to carry an extra player until hes activated and Williams waived, much like Reed last year.

CB Webb
    CB Smith
    CB Williams
    CB Gorrer
    CB/S Graham
    CB Jackson

Our arguably weakest position 2 years ago is now, imo, our deepest, thank you Ozzie. In a passing league and with injuries every year, I cant see not carrying 6 and had a hard time not making a case for 7, which they may likely do at the end of the day. This will be the most intense battle but I see Jackson making the team over Brown simply for ST teams reasons. (6/6)

FS Reed
    SS Pollard
    FS Thompson
    S Considine
    S Cook

I think Cook is actually a pretty solid player and is capable of contributing as much on ST as Brown would, or more. I went with Cook over Brown due to Reeds uncertainty/health issues. Even if Reed does play, i have a hard time seeing him play 16 games again. If he doesnt I see us signing a vet and letting thompson learn regardless. (5/4)

LS Cox
    P Koch
    K Tucker

I really dont think Tucker can beat out Cundiff in the coaches eyes, and likely is here instead. With that said, he has been impressive so far and I actually see that continuing and made the call over Cundiff. I dont blame Cundiff entirely for that gaff at the end of the AFCC game, but with his release we can wash away the bad taste from last year and continue forward focused on this year. (3/3)

Overall i think we have a very strong and deep roster and without Suggs even, look to be a more improved team top to bottom, although that loss could be a major factor in our overall performance. Looking forward to how this turns out over the next few months, laughable or a prophecy come true. Let me know what you guys think.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 07-16-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    -JAB

Re: The way too early and completely irrelevant roster breakdown, because its July and were bored.

JAB, I swear I was going to post this today. We wanted to use this topic as a discussion point for my guest appearance on the Coach's Buzz this Weds from 5-7P on ESPN 1300. Thanks for your help :respect
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: The way too early and completely irrelevant roster breakdown, because its July and were bored.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    JAB, I swear I was going to post this today. We wanted to use this topic as a discussion point for my guest appearance on the Coach's Buzz this Weds from 5-7P on ESPN 1300. Thanks for your help :respect
    no problem, glad to help out. its certainly been on my mind and a lot of others.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I think Chykie Brown makes this team. He's still a good ST's player and has value as a depth cornerback.

Secondly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Justin Boren or Tony Wragge make the team as a back up C/G.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think Chykie Brown makes this team. He's still a good ST's player and has value as a depth cornerback.

Secondly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Justin Boren or Tony Wragge make the team as a back up C/G.
    yeah, Boren was a tough one as well. Who do you take off for him and do you think we carry 7 DBs?

I really think its going to come down to Brown/Cook and that might be completely based off of Reeds status. I could easily see it either way though.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    yeah, Boren was a tough one as well. Who do you take off for him and do you think we carry 7 DBs?
    I think we carry 7 DB's and drop a LB like Chavis Williams or they send DeAngelo Tyson to the PS.

Blog Entries

Re: The way too early and completely irrelevant roster breakdown, because it's July and we're bored.

QB Flacco
    QB Taylor

last year we carried two, this year i feel we do the same. Im not even sure Painter would be the option mid-season at this point. hes shown absolutely nothing and is being openly mocked in practices at this point. (2 in 2012/2 week 1 roster in 2011)

RB Rice
    RB Pierce
    RB Berry

First go around I thought Berry would make it a competition, from most reports hes not only doing that but winning it outright, to the point he may even end up the #2 RB with Peirce now hurt. that also opens the door to a possible late signing of Grant/Benson, but i think Ozzie trusts his youth and lets the young guys handle it. (3/3)

FB Leach

no questions. (1/1)

WR Boldin
    WR Smith
    WR Doss
    WR Jones
    WR Williams
    WR Streeter

I still think we carry 6 and i still think Streeter makes the most sense. Thompson is known to be a practice phenom just to have that not show up in games. I think we see the same thing happen here, lights out in practice and disappear in preseason games. If he does continue his success i think its a tough call but they find a way to stash Streeter and thompson gets that last spot. Both possess too much potential to just let go. (6/6)

TE Dickson
    TE Pitta
    TE Bajema

Figgins goes to PS and Bajema lessens the hit of Pitta being out most of TC. Pitta will be behind a little and may take a week or two to get back into the swing of things but should reconnect relatively quick with flacco. I think if Ed starts out hot hell probably maintain the #1 spot, if he has a slow start Pitta becomes the #1 by week 4. with the possibility of running more 3 WR sets this year itll mean something, but well still run enough 2 TE sets that this is more of a 1a/1b than anything. (3/3)

T McKinnie
    G Williams
    C Birk
    G Yanda
    T Oher
    G Osemele
    T Reid
    C Gradkowski
    T Howard

As much of a workman that Oher is I just dont see him beating out McKinnie in a competition, but im glad theyre doing so anyway. Hopefully it doesnt effect his ability on the right side. I think Howard offers enough in experience as well as upside to make the final roster. Cornell will be an interesting player due to his versatility for future years but i think hes safe this year on the PS and likely takes Harewoods spot whos done, imo. Boren is a player id love to make the team, but i just can see it with having so many guys capable of playing inside. another year on PS would do him good if he doesnt get snatched up in the meantime. (9/9)

DE Ngata
    NT Cody
    DE Jones
    DE Mcphee
    DT McBean
    DE DeAngelo
    DT Kemoeatu
    * DT Hall

I still expect to see good things from Jean-Baptiste in TC as the team is really high on him but maybe they sneak him onto the PS for a year or late call up instead. Hall makes sense to carry and then drop for McBean, also helping protect him from being picked up by other teams before the season starts. (7/8)

*with McBean making the roster and being suspended were allowed to carry an extra player until hes activated and another waived.

OLB Kruger
    ILB Lewis
    ILB McClain
    OLB Upshaw
    ILB Ellerbe
    OLB Kindle
    ILB Ayanbadejo
    ILB Carr
    OLB McCellan

Sergio Kindle and Carr are both impressing. Ellerbe if underwhelming could be dropped to keep a bryan hall or maybe even Cook, but i doubt they go that direction and keep the insurance policy for an older and thinner Ray Lewis. (9/9)

CB Webb
    CB Smith
    CB Williams
    CB Gorrer
    CB/S Graham
    CB Jackson
    CB Brown

Jackson is too impressive and Graham really brings some flexibility. I really had a hard time cutting down to 6 originally but decided Brown is too much of a talent and too young to give up on so quickly. they find a way to keep him and carry 7. (7/6)

FS Reed
    SS Pollard
    FS Thompson
    S Considine

after rethinking this, i had to find room for Chykie, and even with Reed an unknown next year, i think its more likely that Cary Williams leaves than he does meaning well need brown for the future more than well need Cook. tough call but i think it makes more sense in the long run. Its possible he beats out considine but i think Harbs values his ST ability from his philly days too much. Id rather see cook make the roster personally. (4/4)

LS Cox
    P Koch
    K Tucker

Im still not sure if Tucker can do it in the coaches eyes, but im softening up even more to pulling the trigger. Im not even sure if hes missed inside 50 yards in practice and has the reputation of being a clutch kicker. (3/3)

I like this one better, but if you ask me to do another in 4 weeks its probably going to look different again. Pittas injury made me add a 3rd TE when right before i was thinking we might only carry 2 with an extra lineman. If he comes back a little early I could see the team still doing that and adding a Wragge, Cornell, or Boren.
    -JAB

Re: The way too early and completely irrelevant roster breakdown, because it's July and we're bored.

I pretty much agree with this - except I think that Cornell somehow makes it into the O line group.

QB Flacco
    QB Taylor

last year we carried two, this year i feel we do the same. Im not even sure Painter would be the option mid-season at this point. hes shown absolutely nothing and is being openly mocked in practices at this point. (2 in 2012/2 week 1 roster in 2011)

RB Rice
    RB Pierce
    RB Berry

First go around I thought Berry would make it a competition, from most reports hes not only doing that but winning it outright, to the point he may even end up the #2 RB with Peirce now hurt. that also opens the door to a possible late signing of Grant/Benson, but i think Ozzie trusts his youth and lets the young guys handle it. (3/3)

FB Leach

no questions. (1/1)

WR Boldin
    WR Smith
    WR Doss
    WR Jones
    WR Williams
    WR Streeter

I still think we carry 6 and i still think Streeter makes the most sense. Thompson is known to be a practice phenom just to have that not show up in games. I think we see the same thing happen here, lights out in practice and disappear in preseason games. If he does continue his success i think its a tough call but they find a way to stash Streeter and thompson gets that last spot. Both possess too much potential to just let go. (6/6)

TE Dickson
    TE Pitta
    TE Bajema

Figgins goes to PS and Bajema lessens the hit of Pitta being out most of TC. Pitta will be behind a little and may take a week or two to get back into the swing of things but should reconnect relatively quick with flacco. I think if Ed starts out hot hell probably maintain the #1 spot, if he has a slow start Pitta becomes the #1 by week 4. with the possibility of running more 3 WR sets this year itll mean something, but well still run enough 2 TE sets that this is more of a 1a/1b than anything. (3/3)

T McKinnie
    G Williams
    C Birk
    G Yanda
    T Oher
    G Osemele
    T Reid
    C Gradkowski
    T Howard

As much of a workman that Oher is I just dont see him beating out McKinnie in a competition, but im glad theyre doing so anyway. Hopefully it doesnt effect his ability on the right side. I think Howard offers enough in experience as well as upside to make the final roster. Cornell will be an interesting player due to his versatility for future years but i think hes safe this year on the PS and likely takes Harewoods spot whos done, imo. Boren is a player id love to make the team, but i just can see it with having so many guys capable of playing inside. another year on PS would do him good if he doesnt get snatched up in the meantime. (9/9)

DE Ngata
    NT Cody
    DE Jones
    DE Mcphee
    DT McBean
    DE DeAngelo
    DT Kemoeatu
    * DT Hall

I still expect to see good things from Jean-Baptiste in TC as the team is really high on him but maybe they sneak him onto the PS for a year or late call up instead. Hall makes sense to carry and then drop for McBean, also helping protect him from being picked up by other teams before the season starts. (7/8)

*with McBean making the roster and being suspended were allowed to carry an extra player until hes activated and another waived.

OLB Kruger
    ILB Lewis
    ILB McClain
    OLB Upshaw
    ILB Ellerbe
    OLB Kindle
    ILB Ayanbadejo
    ILB Carr
    OLB McCellan

Sergio Kindle and Carr are both impressing. Ellerbe if underwhelming could be dropped to keep a bryan hall or maybe even Cook, but i doubt they go that direction and keep the insurance policy for an older and thinner Ray Lewis. (9/9)

CB Webb
    CB Smith
    CB Williams
    CB Gorrer
    CB/S Graham
    CB Jackson
    CB Brown

Jackson is too impressive and Graham really brings some flexibility. I really had a hard time cutting down to 6 originally but decided Brown is too much of a talent and too young to give up on so quickly. they find a way to keep him and carry 7. (7/6)

FS Reed
    SS Pollard
    FS Thompson
    S Considine

after rethinking this, i had to find room for Chykie, and even with Reed an unknown next year, i think its more likely that Cary Williams leaves than he does meaning well need brown for the future more than well need Cook. tough call but i think it makes more sense in the long run. Its possible he beats out considine but i think Harbs values his ST ability from his philly days too much. Id rather see cook make the roster personally. (4/4)

LS Cox
    P Koch
    K Tucker

Im still not sure if Tucker can do it in the coaches eyes, but im softening up even more to pulling the trigger. Im not even sure if hes missed inside 50 yards in practice and has the reputation of being a clutch kicker. (3/3)

I like this one better, but if you ask me to do another in 4 weeks its probably going to look different again. Pittas injury made me add a 3rd TE when right before i was thinking we might only carry 2 with an extra lineman. If he comes back a little early I could see the team still doing that and adding a Wragge, Cornell, or Boren.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    I pretty much agree with this - except I think that Cornell somehow makes it into the O line group.
    over howard or do we carry 10? i like his versatility but i think he could be a year away from active roster.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

over howard or do we carry 10? i like his versatility but i think he could be a year away from active roster.
    He's already running with the #1's...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He's already running with the #1's...
    because of injuries and mckinnie... im not reading that much into it.

i could see him instead of Howard but thats about it, imo. hes not beating out anybody else and if we carry more than 9 id be surprised.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I'm concerned with Bynes. Loved his play last pre-season, and now reading held out of practice 3? days (undisclosed). He has to shine in pre-season or he doesn't even get a PS slot.

With all that shining, Chavis was added and promoted ahead of him. Now I'm reading really encouraging things about Nigel. I tell you that if McAdoo were still in the picture, I'f be writing some veterans off like Ellerbe (maybe even B.A.)
    I'll be watching back-up LB coverage skills in the pre-season, because that is the edge some of the vets now hold.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old