Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

Reading some of the report right now.

Ugh. Disgusting is too kind a word.

So my question now is how do they recover? Is this the end of Penn State? This is damning on so many levels it's tough to see how the University moves forward.

Blog Entries

Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Reading some of the report right now.

Ugh. Disgusting is too kind a word.

So my question now is how do they recover? Is this the end of Penn State? This is damning on so many levels it's tough to see how the University moves forward.
    I agree. The NCAA should step in and give them the death penalty. They failed those kids on every level, all in the name of protecting the all important program. Fuck them. No football program for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I agree. The NCAA should step in and give them the death penalty. They failed those kids on every level, all in the name of protecting the all important program. Fuck them. No football program for 10 years.
    This is so much bigger than the football program. Yes, Penn State football is at the heart of the events, but this goes right to the top and is more, IMO, about criminal activity than NCAA violations. None of these issues revolve around student athletes, so it remains to be seen just how much authority the NCAA really has.

The Department of Ed and the prosecutors office - as well as multiple civil lawsuits - are where the penalties should likely come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Lack of institutional control will likely be the ncaa's stance. Punish those who deserve it but don't make others pay for their sins, that's the tricky part
    Agreed.

But, I don't think "institutional control" was ever meant to apply to protecting an assistant coach. That's also the tricky part.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Calls for "death penalty", etc. are predictable outcomes of a mob mentality.

Yes, horrible injustices were done. But restrict the punishment to those that deserve it. Fire/prosecute those in authority, correct the governance issue, and put strong checks and balances in place.

Don't punish the football program. It already has new leadership.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Some of you want LESS punishment for a 14 year cover up where multiple boys were raped and molested than a recruiting violation?

So when a coach is discovered to have committed multiple recruiting violations, the schools program that's effected gets punished appropriately and sanctioned. But 15+ boys get buggered, school finds out about it, covers it up and now we need to filet out the punishments?

Wow. Ponderous to be sure.

Some of you want LESS punishment for a 14 year cover up where multiple boys were raped and molested than a recruiting violation?
    No one is saying that those involved should - in any way - be less punished.

I'm just not sure that the NCAA is the appropriate authority in this situation.

You are correct that the NCAA deals with recruiting violations, etc., but they are not the authority to dole out punishment for criminal violations. This is new territory for the NCAA, and I'm not sure which - if any - of the NCAA's rules have been violated.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

So when a coach is discovered to have committed multiple recruiting violations, the schools program that's effected gets punished appropriately and sanctioned. But 15+ boys get buggered, school finds out about it, covers it up and now we need to filet out the punishments?

Wow. Ponderous to be sure.
    :word
    Careful. You may be accused of possessing a "mob mentality" lol. Seriously though, if protecting the sanctity of the football program was the reason that no one spoke up for these kids, then the death penalty is only a start. I wonder how they would feel if their kids were the ones that were raped.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Calls for "death penalty", etc. are predictable outcomes of a mob mentality.

Yes, horrible injustices were done. But restrict the punishment to those that deserve it. Fire/prosecute those in authority, correct the governance issue, and put strong checks and balances in place.

Don't punish the football program. It already has new leadership.
    I'm sorry but I'm calling bullshit. In no way should the University be able to benefit financially from an institution that for years covered up a disgusting molestation ring involving a charity sponsored by the University. Why the hell should the school be allowed to benefit from that institution? There's no justifiable reason.

SMU was crucified over something that didn't ruin kids lives. Penn State should get a much worse fate.

So you are calling for "no football program for 10 years". And you think that is an appropriate response?

I'm all in favor of burning the perps (and we know who they are) at the stake. They were responsible. But I'm not in favor of carpet bombing an institution because it may have benefitted financially from the football program thriving.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries
    Lack of institutional control will likely be the ncaa's stance. Punish those who deserve it but don't make others pay for their sins, that's the tricky part

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

If I run a publicly traded company and I conceal bad PR to keep the stock price high, I benefitted directly and fiscally from said concealment.

The Felonious Four concealed 14 years worth of the most heinous PR possible and fiscally benefitted from that cover up via continued contributions and support from donors / boosters.

I don't see a distinction and the more I think about it, the more I hope the NCAA goes ahead and tries to enforce a sanction even if there is a chance it gets overturned in federal court. It may end up in court, but can PSU afford the bad PR that would come from that defense? I don't think so.