Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

Just because some idiot wrote it on the internet doesn't mean it has any merit, rpcfball. The guy appears to be a knucklehead and his argument, unlike the Freeh report, appears to be a bunch of personal insults against Freeh and the "sheep" who would believe him.

He's either an apologist or some random internet knucklehead looking for the contrary point of view so he can get a few hits on his website.

To summarize: Not recommended.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Wow that article was terrible. Apparently we're all "sheep" who are going to "be destroyed" by "a wrecking ball of truth and honesty." Personally I was destroyed by his wrecking ball of "unnecessary" "quotation" "marks".
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by TurtlesNBirds View Post
    The report lists a cause of this scandal as "a culture of reverence for the football program that is ingrained at all levels of the campus." Now it has come out that Paterno knew about Sandusky's molestation accusations back in 1998 and lied to a grand juty about it. So why was Sandusky given permission by Paterno and the AD to maintain an office at the football facility and still be allowed to bring children around the facility through 2011? Clearly Sandusky did have an association with the football program. The NCAA has used the term "lack of institutional control" in the past when dealing out penalties, while a pretty generic term it would certainly apply here.
    I haven't argued that. Lack of institutional controls is, in fact, exactly what I argued they WOULD get the university on.

'98-'01 likely will not be in question. Sandusky was originally investigated in '98. The investigation resulted in at the very least there not being enough evidence to proceed, and in all likelihood exonerated from any wrong-doing. It wouldn't at all be surprising to see a highly tenured and respected coach have a horrible accusation against him wind up going nowhere, and then be allowed to continue his normal activity. Think about Bettis and the rape accusation he faced as a pretty decent example.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Spanier was fired as president but he is still a tenured professor at the university so no, I'm not wrong. I get that you want to protect PSU but they have not punished the people that were involved and that's my point.
    I don't want to protect PSU, stop putting words in my mouth. The point about Spanier is that he was fired from his president position, so how exactly can the NCAA sanction him or damage him via sanctions? Your claim was that they should only hurt those involved. Mine was, none of the people involved in this remain in their positions (save the BOD), the NCAA cannot hurt them via sanctions, and so therefor if the NCAA sanctions PSU, it will only be hurting people who were not involved in this horrible cover-up.

And no, I did not and am not arguing that the NCAA shouldn't sanction. I'm simply stating the fact of what a sanction does.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Even More Ugliness

In January 2011, Joe Paterno learned prosecutors were investigating his longtime assistant coach Jerry Sandusky for sexually assaulting young boys. Soon, Mr. Paterno had testified before a grand jury, and the rough outlines of what would become a giant scandal had been published in a local newspaper.

That same month, Mr. Paterno, the football coach at Penn State, began negotiating with his superiors to amend his contract, with the timing something of a surprise because the contract was not set to expire until the end of 2012, according to university documents and people with knowledge of the discussions. By August, Mr. Paterno and the university’s president, both of whom were by then embroiled in the Sandusky investigation, had reached an agreement.
    Joe knew before the season even started last year that the end was near and he got what he could. This whole thing gets uglier by the day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I don't want to protect PSU, stop putting words in my mouth. The point about Spanier is that he was fired from his president position, so how exactly can the NCAA sanction him or damage him via sanctions? Your claim was that they should only hurt those involved. Mine was, none of the people involved in this remain in their positions (save the BOD), the NCAA cannot hurt them via sanctions, and so therefor if the NCAA sanctions PSU, it will only be hurting people who were not involved in this horrible cover-up.

And no, I did not and am not arguing that the NCAA shouldn't sanction. I'm simply stating the fact of what a sanction does.

- C -
    hiding him and keeping him on staff and tenured is OK then? And the board is still inact.
    IMO they should be ashamed of themselves for not taking action; I hope they reconsider and self impose so the NCAA doesn't have to step in; but I'm doubtful

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

A self-impostion of penalties would also go a long way in restoring the good name of PSU, but I am doubtful as well.

They need to rip the band-aid off, not do this slow burn thing they seem to be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    A self-impostion of penalties would also go a long way in restoring the good name of PSU, but I am doubtful as well.

They need to rip the band-aid off, not do this slow burn thing they seem to be doing.
    I lot of people who have no role in this are going to be burned by it. The statement that Joe did not want to bother anyone on the weekend illustrates how casually this incident was taken.

Penn State needs to pay a price for this whatever that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    I lot of people who have no role in this are going to be burned by it. The statement that Joe did not want to bother anyone on the weekend illustrates how casually this incident was taken.

Penn State needs to pay a price for this whatever that may be.
    Agreed the potential economic ramifications could go potentially deep and very wide. Part of me still thinks that the NCAA is going to worm out of this one and that will be an even bigger shame.

Rick Reilly: The sins of the father

If reading this doesn't convince you that something needs to be done nothing ever will.

What a fool I was.

In 1986, I spent a week in State College, Pa., researching a 10-page Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year piece on Joe Paterno.

It was supposed to be a secret, but one night the phone in my hotel room rang. It was a Penn State professor, calling out of the blue.

"Are you here to take part in hagiography?" he said.

"What's hagiography?" I asked.

"The study of saints," he said. "You're going to be just like the rest, aren't you? You're going to make Paterno out to be a saint. You don't know him. He'll do anything to win. What you media are doing is dangerous."

Jealous egghead, I figured.

What an idiot I was.
    And this

I talked about Paterno's "true legacy" in all of this. Here's his true legacy: Paterno let a child molester go when he could've stopped him. He let him go and then lied to cover his sinister tracks. He let a rapist go to save his own recruiting successes and fundraising pitches and big-fish-small-pond hide.

Here's a legacy for you. Paterno's cowardice and ego and fears allowed Sandusky to molest at least eight more boys in the years after that 1998 incident -- Victims 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9 and 10. Just to recap: By not acting, a grown man failed to protect eight boys from years of molestation, abuse and self-loathing, all to save his program the embarrassment. The mother of Victim 1 is "filled with hatred toward Joe Paterno," the victim's lawyer says. "She just hates him, and reviles him." Can you blame her?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edtude View Post
    Rick Reilly: The sins of the father

If reading this doesn't convince you that something needs to be done nothing ever will.

And this
    That was a pretty good read on an icon's fall from grace. Ill admit that my first reaction when Paterno died was that at least he wouldnt have to deal with any of this. But, as the truth starts to trickle out, he was just as guilty as anyone. And unfortunately the bastard took a lot of secrets to his grave. Fuck PSU...the entire institution needs to be brought to its knees.

Board of Trustees just decided to keep the statue in place (during the slow news cycle of a Saturday, btw).

Stupid. This seemed a no brainier to me. Bowden was right. Everytime someone sees that statue is now going to be reminded of this tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Board of Trustees just decided to keep the statue in place (during the slow news cycle of a Saturday, btw).

Stupid. This seemed a no brainier to me. Bowden was right. Everytime someone sees that statue is now going to be reminded of this tragedy.
    Paterno Statue to Remain for Now

Just amazing, read some of the comments in the article and to me they are just so far out of touch it is amazing.