Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 109
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,509

    The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State



    Reading some of the report right now.

    Ugh. Disgusting is too kind a word.

    So my question now is how do they recover? Is this the end of Penn State? This is damning on so many levels it's tough to see how the University moves forward.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    4,505

    Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Reading some of the report right now.

    Ugh. Disgusting is too kind a word.

    So my question now is how do they recover? Is this the end of Penn State? This is damning on so many levels it's tough to see how the University moves forward.
    I agree. The NCAA should step in and give them the death penalty. They failed those kids on every level, all in the name of protecting the all important program. Fuck them. No football program for 10 years.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    1
    Lack of institutional control will likely be the ncaa's stance. Punish those who deserve it but don't make others pay for their sins, that's the tricky part
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  4. #4

    Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I agree. The NCAA should step in and give them the death penalty. They failed those kids on every level, all in the name of protecting the all important program. Fuck them. No football program for 10 years.
    This is so much bigger than the football program. Yes, Penn State football is at the heart of the events, but this goes right to the top and is more, IMO, about criminal activity than NCAA violations. None of these issues revolve around student athletes, so it remains to be seen just how much authority the NCAA really has.

    The Department of Ed and the prosecutors office - as well as multiple civil lawsuits - are where the penalties should likely come from.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Lack of institutional control will likely be the ncaa's stance. Punish those who deserve it but don't make others pay for their sins, that's the tricky part
    Agreed.

    But, I don't think "institutional control" was ever meant to apply to protecting an assistant coach. That's also the tricky part.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cub Hill, MD
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

    Calls for "death penalty", etc. are predictable outcomes of a mob mentality.

    Yes, horrible injustices were done. But restrict the punishment to those that deserve it. Fire/prosecute those in authority, correct the governance issue, and put strong checks and balances in place.

    Don't punish the football program. It already has new leadership.


    WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,509

    Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

    Some of you want LESS punishment for a 14 year cover up where multiple boys were raped and molested than a recruiting violation?



    So when a coach is discovered to have committed multiple recruiting violations, the schools program that's effected gets punished appropriately and sanctioned. But 15+ boys get buggered, school finds out about it, covers it up and now we need to filet out the punishments?

    Wow. Ponderous to be sure.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #7

    Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Calls for "death penalty", etc. are predictable outcomes of a mob mentality.

    Yes, horrible injustices were done. But restrict the punishment to those that deserve it. Fire/prosecute those in authority, correct the governance issue, and put strong checks and balances in place.

    Don't punish the football program. It already has new leadership.
    I'm sorry but I'm calling bullshit. In no way should the University be able to benefit financially from an institution that for years covered up a disgusting molestation ring involving a charity sponsored by the University. Why the hell should the school be allowed to benefit from that institution? There's no justifiable reason.




  8. #8

    Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Some of you want LESS punishment for a 14 year cover up where multiple boys were raped and molested than a recruiting violation?
    No one is saying that those involved should - in any way - be less punished.

    I'm just not sure that the NCAA is the appropriate authority in this situation.

    You are correct that the NCAA deals with recruiting violations, etc., but they are not the authority to dole out punishment for criminal violations. This is new territory for the NCAA, and I'm not sure which - if any - of the NCAA's rules have been violated.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    4,505

    Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Some of you want LESS punishment for a 14 year cover up where multiple boys were raped and molested than a recruiting violation?



    So when a coach is discovered to have committed multiple recruiting violations, the schools program that's effected gets punished appropriately and sanctioned. But 15+ boys get buggered, school finds out about it, covers it up and now we need to filet out the punishments?

    Wow. Ponderous to be sure.

    Careful. You may be accused of possessing a "mob mentality" lol. Seriously though, if protecting the sanctity of the football program was the reason that no one spoke up for these kids, then the death penalty is only a start. I wonder how they would feel if their kids were the ones that were raped.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hazzard County
    Posts
    1,347

    Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

    SMU was crucified over something that didn't ruin kids lives. Penn State should get a much worse fate.




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    4,505

    Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    No one is saying that those involved should - in any way - be less punished.

    I'm just not sure that the NCAA is the appropriate authority in this situation.

    You are correct that the NCAA deals with recruiting violations, etc., but they are not the authority to dole out punishment for criminal violations. This is new territory for the NCAA, and I'm not sure which - if any - of the NCAA's rules have been violated.
    See SMU and Oklahoma, circa mid 1980's.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,509

    Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    No one is saying that those involved should - in any way - be less punished.

    I'm just not sure that the NCAA is the appropriate authority in this situation.

    You are correct that the NCAA deals with recruiting violations, etc., but they are not the authority to dole out punishment for criminal violations. This is new territory for the NCAA, and I'm not sure which - if any - of the NCAA's rules have been violated.
    Maybe so. I've read stories on both sides of this fence. And I am not calling for the death penalty for Penn State or anything.

    But when boys are told by a Penn State coach, Sandusky, that they need to give him sexual favors if they wish access to the team and it's facilities, certainly there is something in the NCAA's prevue that would justify a punishment on that level.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  13. #13

    Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    See SMU and Oklahoma, circa mid 1980's.
    Thanks for making my point. Those programs violated NCAA by-laws - recruiting violations, prohibited benefits to players, etc. - and were repeat violators (and had received previous punishment), which the NCAA's rule on death penalty calls for when applying the death penalty. They were appropriately punished, pursuant to those rules.

    In this case, what the authorities at Penn State did was criminal, but not necessarily a violation of NCAA rules.

    Again, what happened at Penn State is waaaay bigger than the football program. It show an educational institution that was totally out of control. The penalties should appropriately come from the authorities that deal with those issues - prosecutors, the State of PA and the Department of Ed.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  14. #14

    Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Maybe so. I've read stories on both sides of this fence. And I am not calling for the death penalty for Penn State or anything.

    But when boys are told by a Penn State coach, Sandusky, that they need to give him sexual favors if they wish access to the team and it's facilities, certainly there is something in the NCAA's prevue that would justify a punishment on that level.
    I certainly understand - and agree - with your point. I'm just not sure that the drafters of the NCAA rules ever envisioned this sort of circumstance. I would agree that there's probably a way to fashion an argument for some sort of punishment, but I don't see it being the death penalty (as some are calling for).
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    4,505

    Re: The Freeh Report and the Future of Penn State

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Thanks for making my point. Those programs violated NCAA by-laws - recruiting violations, prohibited benefits to players, etc. - and were appropriately punished, pursuant to those rules.

    In this case, what the authorities at Penn State did was criminal, but not necessarily a violation of NCAA rules.

    Again, what happened at Penn State is waaaay bigger than the football program. It show an educational institution that was totally out of control. The penalties should appropriately come from the authorities that deal with those issues - prosecutors, the State of PA and the Department of Ed.
    You must have missed the part about U of Oklahoma football players firing Uzis from a balcony. That's got to be a crime somewhere.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland