1. The USFL is BAAAAACK! (well, maybe)

A guy in San Diego has purchased the rights to the name "USFL" from the old leagues founder and plans to begin play in the spring of 2013. They say it will be triple A level football with 8 teams in non-NFL, non MLB cities. They plan a 14 game schedule from March to June with 4 teams making the playoffs. All teams players will be paid by the league approximately 3000-$3500/game. The NFL will be allowed full access to players, practices etc.. I'm guessing with the hopes of becoming the official D-league. Its a great idea that we have heard before, I wish them luck.
    http://www.theusfl.net/faq.html

Blog Entries

Re: The USFL is BAAAAACK! (well, maybe)

Is the NFL the only one of the major sports that doesn't have a developmental league?

Blog Entries

I'd watch it. They had a good thing going and it probably got a little too good in competing with the NFL and the demise followed. If they keep it in perspective it could work

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Ahh, the old USFL. It has fond memories for me.

Baltimore had a good team named the Stars with cool unis and a good coach - Jim Mora who later coached in indy and New Orleans.

We tried to blast our way into the NFL with that team along with 3 other cities and almost did it but that probably cost us an expansion team because Tags was the lead atty who won it for the NFL and he hated Bmore since we were in that litigation and made sure we didn't get a team a decade later. He was the comish and got that job when Rozelle retired for winning that case.

The Stars could have beaten the bottom half of the NFL teams too.

Too bad that the old USFL decided to compete with the NFL instead of working a cooperative developmental deal. The post-merger NFL was far too powerful by the 1980s with TV $$$. Donald Trump's ego didn't help either.

I hope this succeeds. Spring has always been a big sports void for me. Except for attending an occasional lacrosse game, after the ACC tournament ends I lose most interest in sports until the first warm Orioles game in mid-May. I could get interested in a ten game season, two tiered playoff system following NFL rules. If we had a local team in Richmond or Harrisburg, I could even see attending a few live games.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

The question is, who should I root for in this league?