Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: IN YOUR OPINION: Who is the most underrated Raven?

I said in the other thread that I though Harbaugh was the most underrated Ravens period.

Underrated player, I gotta go with Jameel also. People forget that this guy was a DE in college and he's transitioned to an ILB. How often are players asked to do that? That has to be one of the hardest transitions in football.

Given where he's started he's beyond solid and I think he did a great job stepping in for Ray Lewis when Ray missed those 4 games.

Blog Entries

I'd also like to point out, that Jameel made some very big plays through out 2011, not just the interception against Arizona which basically won us that game. It was third and short, against the 49ers, and this was a key drive for them, they gave the ball to Gore and Jameel ran to the side and stuffed him short of the 3rd down marker, this was a huge play of the game.

Also thought against New England in the championship game, Elerbee and Ayanbedjo played the majority of snaps as the WILL LB, and McClain was a little hurt through out the play offs, and our run defense was clearly not as good without him.

Quote Originally Posted by PeRK82 View Post
    Most underrated player was Cory Redding, WAS because he is now a Colt.
    Redding was solid no doubt, but I think having Ngata and Suggs on either side of him helped him shine like he never had before in his career. He never faced a double team his entire time in Baltimore.

Great professional and team player w/o question though. Much better at collapsing the pocket then the guys he replaced as well, the combo of Bannan and Edwards.

Joe Flacco hands down!!

5. Re: IN YOUR OPINION: Who is the most underrated Raven?

Might sound weird but I think it's Ray Lewis. A lot of people are saying he's on the downside, and that might be true physically. But I think he does a great job of getting the guys around him ready for the game with his high intensity level. His knowledge of the game being passed around to the younger players helps too. I could be reaching, but that's just my feeling when I watch your team play. I guess we will find out when he finally decides to hang up the cleats, whenever that might be.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeRK82 View Post
    Most underrated player was Cory Redding, WAS because he is now a Colt.
    That guy had a great 2011. Best year of his career.

I am going to say Suggs. Sizzle has been the only consistent pass rusher on the Ravens for some time and on top of that he plays the run extremely well and defends the pass.

The only other triple threat OLB/DE like that in the league is James Harrison and he has a lot of help from Lamar Woodley on the other side.

Yes I know he's the DPOY but this guy gets mentioned after Jared Allen and DeMarcus Ware as if he's second tier. While they are great pass rushers they are nowhere near the complete player and leader that Suggs is. What's really funny is that the Bears had to pony up almost $90 mil to get Julius Peppers when they could've drafted that type of player years ago if they had drafted Suggs instead of trading out because he ran a slow 40 time. Suggs on that 2006 Bears D would've made them unbeatable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That guy had a great 2011. Best year of his career.
    Would have loved to see him come back, but they have some young and up-and-coming guys in Art Jones and McPhee who likely can fill Redding's void on the DL.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    I am going to say Suggs. Sizzle has been the only consistent pass rusher on the Ravens for some time and on top of that he plays the run extremely well and defends the pass.

The only other triple threat OLB/DE like that in the league is James Harrison and he has a lot of help from Lamar Woodley on the other side.

Yes I know he's the DPOY but this guy gets mentioned after Jared Allen and DeMarcus Ware as if he's second tier. While they are great pass rushers they are nowhere near the complete player and leader that Suggs is. What's really funny is that the Bears had to pony up almost $90 mil to get Julius Peppers when they could've drafted that type of player years ago if they had drafted Suggs instead of trading out because he ran a slow 40 time. Suggs on that 2006 Bears D would've made them unbeatable.
    You know it's very interesting that you should say that. I think to us Ravens fans, Suggs is not an underrated player by any means. However definitely around the league, I think Suggs is very very underrated. IMO he should have been in the top 10 of "top 100" players, if not the best rated defensive player. He has never been the top tier pass rusher that the likes of Mario Williams are in, but he is IMO the best all around front 7 player in the league right now. There is nobody who can do what he does on the field, and yet the media barely mention him even if he was the 2011 DPOY. It was even worse before this season too.

Slightly OT here but imagine if Courtney Upshaw turns out like how Suggs did. Suggs was a better pass rusher coming out of college than Upshaw, but they where both passed up by a bunch of teams because of "athletic flaws".

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    You know it's very interesting that you should say that. I think to us Ravens fans, Suggs is not an underrated player by any means. However definitely around the league, I think Suggs is very very underrated. IMO he should have been in the top 10 of "top 100" players, if not the best rated defensive player. He has never been the top tier pass rusher that the likes of Mario Williams are in, but he is IMO the best all around front 7 player in the league right now. There is nobody who can do what he does on the field, and yet the media barely mention him even if he was the 2011 DPOY. It was even worse before this season too.

Slightly OT here but imagine if Courtney Upshaw turns out like how Suggs did. Suggs was a better pass rusher coming out of college than Upshaw, but they where both passed up by a bunch of teams because of "athletic flaws".
    I agree.

I think Ray's influence (seriously) helped Suggs become a complete player. I remember a clip from his rookie year where Ray told Suggs its not just about rushing the passer and I think Sizzle took it to heart. I am sure that if Suggs really wanted to he could focus strictly on the pass rush and rack up 18-20 sacks like DeMarcus Ware but he's a leader and team player that knows its about winning more than anything else. I can't remember seeing a clip of Ware chasing down a ball carrier or setting the edge or making a game changing play other than a sack. Suggs is better than him and probably every other defender not named Revis and even that's debatable.

As for Upshaw it appears he's going to be a fast study. I expect some growing pains but he'll have 5-6 sacks this year and grow into his role as strongside backer. Once Suggs is fully healthy next year and Upshaw progresses as hoped the Ravens will have a killer pass rush (add McPhee to the mix as well).

Blog Entries

You know, I still want to say Joe Flacco. The reason I say that is, because he is still considered the weakest piece to the puzzle. Particularly, when you compare him to Ray Rice or the defense. People are beginning to really see how the lack of quality play on the outside is not as much his fault, as originally thought. However, there's still this feeling that Joe is just along for the ride and that they could have reached this success with plenty of different QBs, under the same circumstances.

The consistency didn't arrive until Joe arrived. Ray Rice wasn't even the main ball carrier that year. Before Joe arrived, it had been seven years since the Ravens last won a playoff game, 2,000 yard rusher and all, #1 ranked defense and all. The perception is beginning to change, ironically, after a loss where Joe made the throw everybody wanted to see him make, only to see it dropped/stripped away. However, personally,. we've see what this defense can look like when one of its star defenders gets hurt. I don't want to see that, but I really don't want to see what this offense is like without Joe Flacco.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore