Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

Actually there are 14 QB's that were sacked more than Flacco (31). The names include 3 in the top 10 Brady (32), Rodgers (36), and Roethlisberger (40). He just needs to learn how to tuck that ball better when he's going to get hit, as he has at least 2 more fumbles than anyone in the top 10.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    Actually there are 14 QB's that were sacked more than Flacco (31). The names include 3 in the top 10 Brady (32), Rodgers (36), and Roethlisberger (40). He just needs to learn how to tuck that ball better when he's going to get hit, as he has at least 2 more fumbles than anyone in the top 10.
    flacco fumbled nearly 4x as much as rodgers and brady and they were sacked more...it's not as if flacco just had a bad year with the fumbles...he's been in the upper 1/4 every year...

drew brees was sacked 24 times last year and only fumbled the ball once...that's impressive..

Blog Entries

Fumbles, sacks and pressure are all different things. You can get pressured and not fumble, you can get sacked and not fumble. You can fumble and not get pressured or sacked. Using sacks as a measurement to how often someone has defenders around them is shortsighted.

Flacco clearly needs need keep the ball closer to his body. But If his WR's got separation and/or he would take off running sooner (see NE playoff game) we wouldn't even need to talk about that.

I love these threads though and how ticky tack they get about knocking Flacco.

i think flacco improved last year in throwing the ball away and scrambling, especially as the season went on. Id like to see it a bit more, but sometimes it isnt possible. What i'd love to see is play calls to get him out of the pocket a bit more, like in NE when Cam done it a couple of times. I also remember a few roll outs in the reg season, one against cinci, when he hit boldin on that crossing pattern, and that deep TD to Torrey was a rollout if iirc.

Lets be honest here, he isnt, peyton, brady, brees under pressure, but when he is out of the pocket, he is imo, one of the best in the league, and even if a throw isnt on his agile and mobile enough to scramble for a few yeards.

Roll outs, early and often will off course, stop some of the blitzing, which then means he will have a bit more time in the pocket, and we know what he can do when he has time.

When he is under pressure, heavy and often, he sometimes makes bad decisions, so design plays to get him away form the pressure, like roll outs, and then eventually, the pressure will subside when you keep him in the pocket.

Just my 2 cents on Joe. Under pressure hes about average in QBing, with time hes easily up around that 6-9 mark as a QB, jumping some QBs that would be better than him under pressure, but when given a second or two, arent as good as him.

I hate it when ESPN only let's you see the whole list unless you pay for their insider service. I would like to see the whole list just to see who is above him and how far above him. The way he has played, especially against Tom Brady and the Patriots last AFC Championship game, has continually improved. Sure he doesn't have the sickest stats in the NFL, but the Ravens are a balanced to run first offense and even Peyton Manning wouldn't have Manning like stats in this sort of an offensive scheme. I know Aaron Rodgers is probably #1, Tom Brady and Drew Brees are #2 and #3 in whatever order, Eli Manning has got to be above Joe just because of the Super Bowl victory this year, Philip Rivers always tops these lists (why I don't know, judging by the Chargers playoff record), Peyton Manning even though he didn't play in 2011, then there has to be one more before Ben Roethlisberger. Ben should be tied with Joe only because, as much a Steelers fans love him, his stats are really not all that better than Flacco's, outside of the Super Bowls won mainly on the shoulders of the Steelers D. So the list should be:

1) Aaron Rodgers
    2) Tom Brady?
    3) Drew Brees?
    4) Eli Manning?
    5) Philip Rivers?
    6) Peyton Manning?
    7) ?
    8) Ben Roethlisberger?

That is some pretty good company, no one should be complaining about where Flacco falls on this list.

And for the Couch Potato, You forgot to figure in the dropped passes in critical situations (which falls on the Ravens WRs and not the QB) into your little tyraid on Joe's abilities.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    i think flacco improved last year in throwing the ball away and scrambling, especially as the season went on. Id like to see it a bit more, but sometimes it isnt possible. What i'd love to see is play calls to get him out of the pocket a bit more, like in NE when Cam done it a couple of times. I also remember a few roll outs in the reg season, one against cinci, when he hit boldin on that crossing pattern, and that deep TD to Torrey was a rollout if iirc.

Lets be honest here, he isnt, peyton, brady, brees under pressure, but when he is out of the pocket, he is imo, one of the best in the league, and even if a throw isnt on his agile and mobile enough to scramble for a few yeards.

Roll outs, early and often will off course, stop some of the blitzing, which then means he will have a bit more time in the pocket, and we know what he can do when he has time.

When he is under pressure, heavy and often, he sometimes makes bad decisions, so design plays to get him away form the pressure, like roll outs, and then eventually, the pressure will subside when you keep him in the pocket.

Just my 2 cents on Joe. Under pressure hes about average in QBing, with time hes easily up around that 6-9 mark as a QB, jumping some QBs that would be better than him under pressure, but when given a second or two, arent as good as him.
    Actually in 2010 Flacco had the second best TD to Int ratio in the NFL against the blitz, and finished the year 6th among all QBs on PFF's efficiency rating vs the blitz.

The data isn't in for 2011 yet but I would be shocked if he regressed.

The idea that blitzing Joe regularly is good idea has been out of date since his rookie year.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Flacco is good against the blitz for the most part, but I can remember some of the awful sacks he took from blitzing defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Actually in 2010 Flacco had the second best TD to Int ratio in the NFL against the blitz, and finished the year 6th among all QBs on PFF's efficiency rating vs the blitz.

The data isn't in for 2011 yet but I would be shocked if he regressed.

The idea that blitzing Joe regularly is good idea has been out of date since his rookie year.
    According to Sporting News, Flacco was 4th for TD to Int ratio and 10th in terms of QB rating in 2010 against the blitz:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...inst-the-blitz

I think this statistic is a bit subjective. It seems like "blitz" might mean different things to different statisticians, as it apparently did for STATS, Inc/Sporting News and PFF.

Of course, Flacco also was 7th in terms of QB rating overall in 2010.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 07-06-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Blog Entries

Id rather him stand in the pocket too long looking to make a play than be kyle boller. There certainly is a fine line there that he can improve upon but ill take those sacks in most cases if FG position isnt being lost, which the majority of the time it isnt.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I agree SgtCouchPotato. Like in Pitt last year when he threw that pick with less than a minute left! Or all those terrible fuck ups in the second half of the Arizona debacle. Not to mention how he just totally blew it against the Texans in a playoff game where everyone on the offense played lights out except for him.

Oh shit, I have just been informed that it is NOT opposite day and your complaint has literally no grounding in reality. But thanks for crawling out of your hole to once again bitch about the team. Have you ever had a good thing to say? I've looked through your old posts and it seems like all you do is pop up every now and then to piss on the team and then disappear.

Daaaaaaaaaaammmmmmnnnnnn!!!!
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Flacco is good against the blitz for the most part, but I can remember some of the awful sacks he took from blitzing defenders.
    Too bad Joe can't block all of those blitzers consistently too, huh?

There are 10 other guys on the offensive side of the ball...just saying...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

12. Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

The rankings are subjective to everyone's opinion and what they use to weight their rankings: stats, 'clutch', wins, etc....

as someone else pointed out, where was Dilfer ranked in the spring of 2000?

Stats are for people who want to make a selective argument. IMO the only stat that matters is 'wins' and did the the QB factor into the win?

QBR from ESPN was a much better measurement of the QB's performance than QB Ratings- thats pure passing and decietful.

RE: arm strength- go back and reaad what Jaws said about Matt Ryan and his inability to throw through the 30mph swirling winds vs the Giants in the playoffs. Flacco makes those throws- Matty Spliced together can't.

I'll take Joe.