Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 76
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,178
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists



    I wonder where Trent Dilfer was on some QB list in 2000 (?) I really don't care where Flacco is rated, or by whom, but that he brings another Super Bowl championship to Baltimore... Bc




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt CouchPotato View Post
    i love flaccos ability to turn the ball over late in crucial close games
    Some people have moved on from 2010. Others still think of Flacco in terms the 5 turnovers in he playoffs. You seem to be the latter.

    The team only had one turnover last post season and one of those games was against the leagues best defense.

    By the way, Flacco has 11 come from behind wins in his career.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. #18

    Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

    Flacco's #9 ranking from Jaws loses a bit of luster when you realize that Jaws ranks Jay Cutler as #8. And his primary reason for the ranking is the same as the reason for Flacco's ranking, a big arm.

    I think most people would rank Flacco around 10-14, but a few spots here or there in such a subjective exercise is negligible.




  4. #19

    Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

    Flacco can make throws other "top" or "elite" qbs cant. His ability is tops his stats arent. If you can see past numbers you can see a very good qb or even great with room to improve, if you cant you see a middle of the pact qb thats stuck in a bad system and never going to change. Flacco imo is a great qb and every bit capable of those huge numbers of the "elite" qbs if he was in that system.
    -JAB




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Flacco can make throws other "top" or "elite" qbs cant. His ability is tops his stats arent. If you can see past numbers you can see a very good qb or even great with room to improve, if you cant you see a middle of the pact qb thats stuck in a bad system and never going to change. Flacco imo is a great qb and every bit capable of those huge numbers of the "elite" qbs if he was in that system.
    I think that's a little optimistic.




  6. #21

    Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think that's a little optimistic.
    Purely as a passer i think hes shown an ability to make any throw and his accuracy is greatly underrated. The only reason he has him 9th is because he doesnt have the stats to support being higher, which in this system he likely never will (see rivers, brees, etc). Doesnt mean his ability isnt top 10 or higher. Which is what jaws is pointing out here. His arm, and cutlers for that matter, give them abilities other qbs just dont have. You say optimistic, i say insightful.
    -JAB




  7. #22

    Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Purely as a passer i think hes shown an ability to make any throw and his accuracy is greatly underrated. The only reason he has him 9th is because he doesnt have the stats to support being higher, which in this system he likely never will (see rivers, brees, etc). Doesnt mean his ability isnt top 10 or higher. Which is what jaws is pointing out here. His arm, and cutlers for that matter, give them abilities other qbs just dont have. You say optimistic, i say insightful.
    The problem with this line of reasoning is that QB quality is predicated much much much more on mental ability than it is on arm strength.

    The difference between throwing the ball at 60 MPH and 50 MPH on a 30 yard throw is about 1/5th of a second. That is a small fraction of the difference between the most mentally able QBs and the average QBs in terms of reading the play and getting rid of it.

    All things being equal you want a big arm. But by far the most important quality separating the elite QBs and the rest is mental ability. This is why Montana was great and Boller was not; arm strength had nothing to do with it.

    The people that think Flacco is closer to average than elite do not dispute the claim that he has a huge arm (same goes with Cutler). They just are not putting as much weight on arm strength as Jaws seems to do.




  8. #23

    Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The problem with this line of reasoning is that QB quality is predicated much much much more on mental ability than it is on arm strength.

    The difference between throwing the ball at 60 MPH and 50 MPH on a 30 yard throw is about 1/5th of a second. That is a small fraction of the difference between the most mentally able QBs and the average QBs in terms of reading the play and getting rid of it.

    All things being equal you want a big arm. But by far the most important quality separating the elite QBs and the rest is mental ability. This is why Montana was great and Boller was not; arm strength had nothing to do with it.

    The people that think Flacco is closer to average than elite do not dispute the claim that he has a huge arm (same goes with Cutler). They just are not putting as much weight on arm strength as Jaws seems to do.
    Again this comes down to ones personal opinion. I think jaws is basically saying the mental aspect is there if placing him in the top 10. I agree it loses some with cutler whos more of gunslinger and has the ints to prove it but hes also had big seasons when he had a wr corps and decent system.

    In all honesty i feel his rankings are miss titled eventhough the ranking seems about right to me either way. What hes describing is passing ability but labeled it as overall qb and maybe isnt completely consistent on his criteria.

    Imo, the mental aspect is there even if he does have a mistake or two from time to time, so 1/5 of a second in a game of inches means a slightly larger window than the other guy and therefore can be a distinguishable trait. Again its nearly impossible to compare across systems and gameplans. Just looking at the ability to make the pass id have flacco at least top 10 and cant fault jaws for feeling the same.
    -JAB




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,349
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

    There aren't many QBs who can make the throws that he can make. There aren't many QBs that can withstand the hits that he withstands, especially in this division. There aren't many QBs who show the resiliency that he shows, late in games, despite being in an environment that is non-conducive to developing QBs.

    If I had to rank them, there are six that you could arrange as you wish: Brady, Brees, Manning, Manning, Rodgers and Roethlisberger. Then, you have Rivers, who I could put ahead of Flacco. I would probably put Flacco ahead of Cutler, but I can see the argument.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,717
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

    Give Flacco Wayne and Harrison in their heyday, or the Saints receiving core, or...... AND that type of pass first system and I'd love to see what his stats would look like.

    Wanna really compare stats, compare his to McNair's career wise, now I know Steve was on the tailend of his career but still. He was considered a top 10 QB in his day.




  11. #26

    Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

    #9 is about right.

    With Cutler coming in at #8, only SB winning QBs + Phillip Rivers stand between Joe and the top slot. Not bad at all.




  12. #27

    Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Flacco can make throws other "top" or "elite" qbs cant.
    lol...yeah, and kyle boller could throw it through the uprights from 50yds out on a knee, lets see a superbowl mvp qb do that!




  13. #28

    Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt CouchPotato View Post
    lol...yeah, and kyle boller could throw it through the uprights from 50yds out on a knee, lets see a superbowl mvp qb do that!
    Boller wasnt half the QB flacco is, his mental side and accuracy was non existent, whether he could throw hard or not. I dont think arm strength makes or breaks a qb, but when you have two identical QBs in every other aspect, the one with the stronger arm is going to be a better player in that scenario.
    -JAB




  14. #29

    Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

    Would everybody please stop quoting "sgtcouchpotato," who seems to prefer the unpopular side of sensitive message board subjects and can't/won't ever deal with actual facts and communicates mostly with points that are (a) irrelelvant or (b) exaggerations. There's a word for message board posters who exhibit that behavior.

    Please. Stop with the quotes.

    Thank you.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  15. #30

    Re: Flacco 9th on Jaws QB lists

    poster states flacco makes throws that brady,brees,manning,rodgers can't make...and you say i'm making exaggerations? really?




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland