Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Greg Cossel (the anti-Cameron)

good read on the difficulty of winning in todays NFL with a run first offense.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/07/10/c...ion/#more-9680

Blog Entries

Re: Greg Cossel (the anti-Cameron)

This is the part that Cam should be reading.

"The pass cannot primarily be a reactive tactic, used in long-yardage situations against defenses specifically designed to stop it, both from a pressure and coverage standpoint. It’s too hard to sustain offense that way. You must be proactive throwing the ball, without regard to down and distance. You can do that out of base personnel (1 RB and 2 TE or 2 RB and 1 TE) or you can do it out of multiple-receiver sets and shotgun spread formations. That’s not as important as the simple fact of attacking aggressively with the pass.

Yet, no matter how effectively you throw the ball in normal down-and-distance situations, you will face third-and-long. We all know that third down is the most important down in football for one reason: It’s the possession down. Those plays inherently take on greater significance. Make no mistake, third-and-long is the quarterback’s down. He has to make tough throws, often in tight windows, against the best of what defensive coordinators have to offer. If you do not have a quarterback who can do that, you have no chance to contend for anything meaningful. That may be the single most consequential reason the quarterback must be the centerpiece of both your offense and your entire team. You cannot structure your offense around a running back and a running game … and then expect your quarterback to make difficult reads and throws in the most critical and demanding situations. That’s totally unrealistic."

Blog Entries

the biggest problem is that we do have a QB that can make those 3 and long throws. but with very little short/intermediate passing game on 1st and 2nd downs, how is joe supposed to get into the flow. its like everything is built to get into 3rd and short without the acknowledgement that yes you are going to face 3rd and long and yes you better be successful if you want to win. its got to be very tough on joe when usually his only options are throw it deep, dump it to rice, or just run it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    the biggest problem is that we do have a QB that can make those 3 and long throws. but with very little short/intermediate passing game on 1st and 2nd downs, how is joe supposed to get into the flow. its like everything is built to get into 3rd and short without the acknowledgement that yes you are going to face 3rd and long and yes you better be successful if you want to win. its got to be very tough on joe when usually his only options are throw it deep, dump it to rice, or just run it.
    You summed up perfectly why Cam sucks

Blog Entries

We're seeing more and more of the best athletes on the field playing the WR position. 20 years ago you could make an assumption that with the exception of guys like Jerry Rice the best athletes on the field (or the biggest play makers) were at other positions.

Back in the 90's you didn't have 6'3" - 6'5" receivers weighing 230lbs and could outrun everyone on the field.

It just makes sense to get the ball into the hands of your best play makers and while Rice is certainly one of the top play makers on our team, it would make sense to try and get the ball into Torrey's hands and Q's hands in space. Look at what Torrey did to the Patriots when they got him the ball in space. He hurt them pretty badly.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

When has Cam been anti anything about passing? The Ravens just don't value receivers. They made Willis McGahee one of the highest paid running backs back in 2007.

In my opinion the problem with the offense is that they are really just a decent running team. They build the offense around running the ball but are not really a great running team. This leaves the QB in third and long way too often. People think that the Ravens have a very good running offense because of Rice but in reality it is not. Rice puts up good numbers in the running game but it is his receiving yards that makes him a top 5 back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    When has Cam been anti anything about passing? The Ravens just don't value receivers. They made Willis McGahee one of the highest paid running backs back in 2007.
    There is also some truth to that as well. They really haven't invested a whole lot into the receiver position really ever outside of a few long shot late round draft picks.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    They also brought in a lot of veterans who've had success elsewhere many of which cost a lot of cap space. Mason, Boldin, Housh, Evans, Stallworth, Washington...etc, that's a lot of names. I would agree if they just stuck to low round draft picks but there is some serious money on that list and every one of those guys has had some pretty good NFL seasons at one time or another.

Ozzie hasn't tried to land that real top 10 guy but he's given Cam enough that we should have a much better production at the WR position than we've had. They sure seem to get a lot more out of their Wide Receivers in Pittsburgh playing low round picks than we do from established vets. The Ravens have invested a hell of lot more than the Steelers have and have gotten a lot less for it.

Nice find, you can Blame Cam " i Formation " Cameron. Too many times last yr , Joe would throw a deep ball and get into the Red Zone and all we would do is Run it over and over again. It was just sickening. Cam started to let Joe throw it more toward the middle to the end of the season in the Red Zone with Great success.

I hope that it continues , Also, that is why Joe doesn't have as many T.D as he should because we would run it and too many times we just settled for Field Goals.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    In my opinion the problem with the offense is that they are really just a decent running team. They build the offense around running the ball but are not really a great running team. This leaves the QB in third and long way too often. People think that the Ravens have a very good running offense because of Rice but in reality it is not. Rice puts up good numbers in the running game but it is his receiving yards that makes him a top 5 back.
    Couldn't agree more, Too many times Rice couldn't even get a 3rd and 1. He would have a couple break through runs but to me, not converting the 3rd and 1s drove me mad. In 3rd and 1 i think we have a better chance of converting by throwing it. Every Defense in the N.F.L knows what the RAVENS Offense is going to do, its a up hill battle because of it. And i blame Harbs and Cam for letting this happen.

Blog Entries

didn't read the article but the run game was enough to completely overwhelm Pitt in game one and also the Jets. It's good for two wins again Cleveland. The pass beat Pitt in the 2nd game and should've beaten NE in the AFCC (i won't go there).

With better weapons, which I think they now have, it should open it up.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!