Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ngata going back to old weight

Heard on Keith Mills radio show this morning with new football coach at Poly that Haloti was interviewed in a segment felt he wore down as the season progressed and was to light. He will and already has put the weight back on. Thought losing weight was the decline in his play. You just can't drop 25-30 lbs be used to it after years and not have it effect you. It might help you or hurt you, but you never know until you play with the new size, it's risky. Especially when you had great success at your prior weight. Glad Ngata will be old self again.

Blog Entries

Re: Ngata going back to old weight

Didn't he just come off the best season of his career?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Well this is a good thing as we are going to need that extra push up the middle. He was still an elite DT in the NFL in 2011, but did wear down towards the end of the season. Infact he got off to a great start and was playing at arguably his best level in his career. I think 2012 will be Ngata's year to shine and it's the perfect time for him in his prime to have that HOF making season.

Cody also had a similar problem, and is doing the same thing as Ngata, not quite getting back to his old weight of 370 odd lbs (give or take a biscuit) but getting to round 340-350 lbs. With both of them in the middle of a big defensive line, hopefully our run defense isn't going to suffer too much with the loss of Redding, Johnson, and Suggs.

Btw I heard that a few weeks back that the Ravens assistant strength and conditioning coach was fired, I don't suppose this had anything to do with Ngata and Cody, maybe he told them to lose that weight that they did, and because of the slight drop in performance towards the end of the season, this led them to fire him? That is just pure speculation on my part, but I guess it's a possible reason.

Blog Entries

Can you imagine Ngata back up to his old playing weight, Cody in the middle, and McKinnie as the 3rd Dline man. Did someone say "Berlin Wall?" ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Can you imagine Ngata back up to his old playing weight, Cody in the middle, and McKinnie as the 3rd Dline man. Did someone say "Berlin Wall?" ... Bc
    If you mean Brandon McKinnie, we lost him in FA, he was signed by the colts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If you mean Brandon McKinnie, we lost him in FA, he was signed by the colts.
    Nope, it was my feeble joke at Bryant McKinnie's weight. Brandon McKinney (note the spelling) is on the Colts roster... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Nope, it was my feeble joke at Bryant McKinnie's weight. Brandon McKinney (note the spelling) is on the Colts roster... Bc
    Ohh lol haha. In goal line situations, would it even be such a bad idea?

Blog Entries

I'm sure he knows his body and what weight he should be more than anyone. But he had a great year last year and the issue down the stretch was the deep thigh bruise he was nursing. According to the reports I've read he's only putting on 10 lbs. which is not a lot at his size

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I'm sure he knows his body and what weight he should be more than anyone. But he had a great year last year and the issue down the stretch was the deep thigh bruise he was nursing. According to the reports I've read he's only putting on 10 lbs. which is not a lot at his size
    Agreed.

I've read the same reports as well. Ten pounds for a guy his size is nothing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Agreed.

I've read the same reports as well. Ten pounds for a guy his size is nothing.
    But 10 extra lbs for a guy of that size and strength is probably a significant extra amount of work load for any interior lineman to deal with, especially when you are 20-40 pounds lighter than him. I'm looking forward to seeing how Philadelphia's under sized interior line can deal with Cody and Ngata' sheer size and strength this season, especially with their center being 280 pounds and only a second year player.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    But 10 extra lbs for a guy of that size and strength is probably a significant extra amount of work load for any interior lineman to deal with, especially when you are 20-40 pounds lighter than him
    Or it was few too many trips to McDonalds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Or it was few too many trips to McDonalds.
    We're not talking about Bryant McKinnie here man.