Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: If Flacco improves, could Caldwell replace Cam in 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    I understand and to a large degree, I do agree.
    Here is my problem. It shouldn't come down to one play or two plays where the execution has to be absolutely perfect.
    It seems like every game plan is set in stone and in-game assessment and adapting does not take place...or if it does, it is a quarter latter than everyone watching the game has already figured out. Why is that? I know there is a host of coaches up in the booth and on the sideline. Do they not see? Just wondering.
    So...
    Every play is pretty simple and the player HAS to be superior in ability to win the battle to make the play succeed. At the pro level, we are talking about the best to begin with, so to be superior at every position is a little too much to expect.
    So... not just the game plan, but the designed plays have to create space for receivers, misdirection for runs and pass plays alike. Yes, Bill Walsh was great at this, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to design the plays to actually move the defenders around to create the needed space. The Steelers do it all the time with trips to one side.

And that is a huge flaw in the Ravens' offense. Flacco is consistently required to thread the needle while under duress and that is too much to expect of any quarterback.
    Opposing players and analysts have stated the shortcomings of the Ravens play designs as one reason why they are easy to defend.

At some point, learning has to be taking place among the coaching staff.
    Yes, Evans didn't hold onto the ball, but we could have passed all day long and deep, as well, if Oline adjustments had taken place and the obvious lack of any Pat defender keeping up with Torrey or Boldin (a short WR covering him and we don't throw to him-REALLY?!) underneath. Pats were next to last in defending the pass.
    This. Fact is, the AFCCG should not have come down to that play. The Ravens were the better team. Period. Opposing players have stated onseveral occasions that they knew what play was coming before the snap of the ball.

Blog Entries

I have not been the most pleased with Cam Cameron either, but I think that the dropped passes are the main issue. Now, an interesting debate would be about the impact that Cameron has on the rhythm of the offense and, conversely, the performance of the players. When you look at some of the better passing offenses in the league, they did not arrive overnight, sort of speak. Some of these teams put up a lot of yardage, but also turned the ball over often. However, the vibe I get is that the coaching staffs were willing to work through the kinks.

I have said this before. Manning's Colts were turnover prone before they became the efficient machine they are now remembered for. Green Bay's offense was also turnover prone. New Orleans' offense still 'seems' somewhat turnover prone.

If you do not give your passing offense enough opportunities to get into a rhythm, how does that effect their play? It has been said that WRs have a difficult time adjusting to a run heavy offense, only to then be asked to catch the ball when necessary.

I don't know, and I don't have the answers. I just thought that I might throw that out there. Dropped passes just seem like more of a personnel issue. So, if you change coordinators, how will that fix the dropped passes enough to see the fruits of better play calling?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

There was another dropped pass, earlier in the game, that was very important. The Ravens offense was driving down the field, toward the end of the first half. On a third down, with less than a minute remaining, Joe Flacco hit Ed Dickson with a pass, right in his chest. I guess you could say that it was a difficult catch, because Dickson had to dip low and Flacco had to deliver it low, but he had it in his grasp and let the defender rip it away. They still had a TO left, if I am not mistaken, and could have moved closer to a FG. Dickson dropped the pass and they had to punt. You can take away the predictability of the play, but if guys aren't holding onto the ball........
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    This. Fact is, the AFCCG should not have come down to that play. The Ravens were the better team. Period.
    Are you sure? Vince Wilfork was the best player on the field that day – not a Raven. Brady is much better than Flacco. The Pats O-line are better pass blockers than the Ravens O-line. Gronk and Hernandez are better than Dickson and Pitta. Wes Welker was All-Pro last year. He & Deion Branch are better than Boldin and Torrey Smith, at least in 2011.

Seems to me the most you can say is that the Ravens had Ray Rice and better defensive personnel, the Pats had Tom Brady and Wilfork and better offensive personnel. Not that the Ravens were globally the better team.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis out-rushed Ray Rice in the game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Are you sure? Vince Wilfork was the best player on the field that day – not a Raven. Brady is much better than Flacco. The Pats O-line are better pass blockers than the Ravens O-line. Gronk and Hernandez are better than Dickson and Pitta. Wes Welker was All-Pro last year. He & Deion Branch are better than Boldin and Torrey Smith, at least in 2011.

Seems to me the most you can say is that the Ravens had Ray Rice and better defensive personnel, the Pats had Tom Brady and Wilfork and better offensive personnel. Not that the Ravens were globally the better team.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis out-rushed Ray Rice in the game.
    Gronk was hurt, Overall our RECEIVERS gained more yards than theirs, RR was far superior to BJGE, the Ravens O-Line was ranked higher(somehow even though it's been widely debated on here at how bad they were).
    Wilfork has 52 Tackles, 3.5 sacks, 1 FF
    Ngata had 64 tackles, 5 sacks and 2 FF.

Go down the list, player for player the Ravens were surperior in every aspect, EXCEPT at TE and QB, and like I said before Gronk was hurt.

As for BJGE outrushing rice in that game? Yeah by ONE yard. Neither team could run the ball.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Gronk was hurt, Overall our RECEIVERS gained more yards than theirs, RR was far superior to BJGE, the Ravens O-Line was ranked higher(somehow even though it's been widely debated on here at how bad they were).

Go down the list, player for player the Ravens were surperior in every aspect, EXCEPT at TE and QB, and like I said before Gronk was hurt.

As for BJGE outrushing rice in that game? Yeah by ONE yard. Neither team could run the ball.
    Good post. I think on paper it's arguable that the Ravens are the best team in the NFL.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 07-03-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post

So, our WRs were better than their WRs, because they gained more yards in that game?

Blog Entries

And the only reason BJGE did ok against us in that game was because we where pretty much hell bent on stopping Gronk and the passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Are you sure? Vince Wilfork was the best player on the field that day – not a Raven. Brady is much better than Flacco.
    As a rule, you can say Brady is much better than Flacco, and I'll agree. But that wasn't the case in this particular AFCCG. Flacco arguably outplayed Brady that day.

Blog Entries

All I am really trying to say, I guess, is that if you want to keep force-feeding Rice and leaving Flacco to pick up the pieces with his WRs/TEs, then you will continue to get the same results. Those results please us during the regular season, but pain the fan in us come playoff time.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Yeah and like I said in some of those games the offense has CLEARLY under performed in them. In a deciding moment of that game how in the hell was it Cams fault that Flacco was stripped sacked which essentially lost us that game? Did you not watch week 1 of 2011 btw?
    As I mentioned in a previous post, at the time flacco was not allowed to audible. He had to run the play as called. Everyone saw Polamalu coming on the blitz, but we didn't have the play called to do anything about it. Our receivers weren't running any patterns that would have allowed Flacco to dump the ball off quickly. This is totally on Cameron.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    As I mentioned in a previous post, at the time flacco was not allowed to audible. He had to run the play as called. Everyone saw Polamalu coming on the blitz, but we didn't have the play called to do anything about it. Our receivers weren't running any patterns that would have allowed Flacco to dump the ball off quickly. This is totally on Cameron.
    Lmao, so Flacco couldn't have held onto the ball? It's Cam's fault that Flacco didn't just throw it away and lost the ball? Cam must be controlling Flacco on Madden in that case.