Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: If Flacco improves, could Caldwell replace Cam in 2013?

OS '11 was the time to get Cammie out of here.

Couldn't do it in OS '12, b/c of how close to the SB we were, and you don't change OC's going into your franchise QB's contract year.

Won't do it in OS '13, b/c you don't want to absorb the probable risk of offensive regression that your $80-90M QB may suffer as he learns a new system.

Tough decisions (putting myself in Harbs' shoes in this case) almost often become tougher the longer they are avoided...so I think we are stuck with Cammie until at least the off-season of 2014.

LOL Cam is staying. Why would people want Caldwell to take over anything? Everything that he has been apart of was fail
    (LOL at Wake Forest football).

How about that offensive genius from Minnesota, Brian Billick. What's he doing these days?
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    How about that offensive genius from Minnesota, Brian Billick. What's he doing these days?
    Polishing his Super Bowl ring. :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I also am convinced that some of the approach is more to Harb's philosophy, let's face it he approves the gameplans. He wants to play conservatively at times and given his success it's hard to argue
    What's the cause of that? It sure looks like a general lack of faith in Flacco. The fear is that opening things up will lead to mistakes. Each year I hope that changes but so far that hasn't been the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I also am convinced that some of the approach is more to Harb's philosophy, let's face it he approves the gameplans. He wants to play conservatively at times and given his success it's hard to argue
    I'm not so sure about that. There've been several times where Harbaugh stated that the offense has to get better, while admitting that he has never attended an offensive meeting. I'm not sure that he has any idea what Cameron's gameplan consists of. Its one thing for a head coach to let his assistants coach, but when something isn't working, he should become involved. Over the last 4 years, the Ravens defense has taken us to the playoffs. If the defense slips this year due to Suggs injury or loss of veterans, does anyone really think that the offense can pick up the slack?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    There seems to be some air that needs to be cleared here. Let's start with Jim Caldwell. Jim Caldwell not only worked with Peyton Manning, but laid the ground work for Brad Johnson. Although, neither he nor Tony Dungy were able to truly enjoy the fruits of their labor, in that situation.

Yes, Jim Caldwell does have experience calling plays and did so as the Head Coach of Indianapolis, at least, last season.

The system that Indianapolis runs has similarities to what Baltimore runs. The differences are that Indianapolis' system 'was' more pass heavy, and that they used more quick slants and 'ins' to set up their deep passing. The second difference that I mentioned is something that some fans feel has been missing here.

The relationship between Cam Cameron and John Harbaugh is overblown. First off, Steve Bisciotti and Ozzie Newsome have both made it clear that they prefer to win with emphasis on defense and running the football, rather than becoming a pass heavy team. That is a call that is coming from the top fellas.

Second, if Norv Turner hadn't been retained by San Diego, the Ravens would have seriously pursued him to be the Offensive Coordinator here. There was a lot going on with teams giving/withholding permission for other teams to speak to their guys. They wouldn't have had to go through that with Turner, but Turner was kept. They didn't have to go through that with Caldwell and that is how they were able to bring him in.

Personally, I do think that Caldwell is the bridge between Cameron's time and the new time on the horizon. Now, they don't have to search for anybody if they want to let Cameron go. They have someone within the organization who represents a similar fit to the offensive system they want to run.
    Nothing wrong with that, but when we do pass, let's have some decent plays. When there's an obvious blitz, let Flacco change the play. When the line is struggling to stop the blitz, let's employ some quick slants, screens, etc. to counter the blitz. Cameron seems to just run his gameplan and if it doesn't work, then he blames the players. Sure, the players do drop passes, miss assignments, etc, but it would be nice to have an offensive coordinator who actually has a feel for what's going on in the game. It always seems that, as the game progresses, the other teams make better adjustments on defense than we make on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. There've been several times where Harbaugh stated that the offense has to get better, while admitting that he has never attended an offensive meeting. I'm not sure that he has any idea what Cameron's gameplan consists of. Its one thing for a head coach to let his assistants coach, but when something isn't working, he should become involved. Over the last 4 years, the Ravens defense has taken us to the playoffs. If the defense slips this year due to Suggs injury or loss of veterans, does anyone really think that the offense can pick up the slack?
    You have to look at what the coaches are actually saying. The "coachspeak" sometimes actually DOES mean something. The two things you most commonly hear said about the offense when it isn't working is: 1) "we have to get better" and 2) "we need to execute." What do the coaches mean when they say "we need to execute?" It's simple--it means "the players are at fault."

Go back and read interviews from Cam and Harbaugh. Over and over again a theme emerges: Cam is doing great, but the players aren't executing. Our coaching staff is one of the very worst in the league at accepting blame and deflecting praise. When things go well it's good coaching; when they go bad it's the players letting the coaches down.

I've come to this conclusion over the past few years while paying close attention to the little things our coaches say and do. From the post-game interviews, to Harbaugh giving Cam Cameron the game ball and all the credit after our week 1 dismantling of the Steelers last year, and on and on... this coaching staff, while it does much well, is not at all adaptable and receptive to criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    What's the cause of that? It sure looks like a general lack of faith in Flacco. The fear is that opening things up will lead to mistakes. Each year I hope that changes but so far that hasn't been the case.
    I agree. Hopefully though the NE playoff game was the start of something bigger this year. The 1st quarter was painfully conservative and we got pounded. After giving Joe more rope, we saw success.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Wasn't this past season the season where Harbaugh would become more involved with the offensive gameplanning? Something has to change to get this offense to step on the gas and score more points. I know they've been saying that's the plan for this year, I suppose it's a wait-n-see.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Would you really want to change a game plan that gets us to the play offs year in year out? I understand opening things up for Flacco, but It's hard to argue with 11-5, 9-7, 12-4, and 12-4 in all of his years in Baltimore so far. Two AFC Championship appearances, two divisional round games, and one dropped pass away from a SB. I think Baltimore are always going to be built around a conservative yet effective game plan while Harbaugh is here.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Would you really want to change a game plan that gets us to the play offs year in year out? I understand opening things up for Flacco, but It's hard to argue with 11-5, 9-7, 12-4, and 12-4 in all of his years in Baltimore so far. Two AFC Championship appearances, two divisional round games, and one dropped pass away from a SB. I think Baltimore are always going to be built around a conservative yet effective game plan while Harbaugh is here.
    Agreed. If Joe improves, this offense is great. If this offense is great, how could you fire the OC?