Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If Flacco improves, could Caldwell replace Cam in 2013?

I've been hearing some good things about Flacco looking sharp in OTAs and minicamp (while he was there). Obviously you need to take that with a grain of salt, but maybe Caldwell is a good partner for Flacco.

It strikes me that if Flacco looks significantly better this season there could be temptation to replace Cam with Cladwell. At a minimum I'm sure we'd have some fans asking for it. :)

Of course, if Flacco does well that may reduce the heat on Cam anyway, so it's a bit of a catch-22.

As far as Caldwell's qualifications, I believe he's mostly been a QB coach before being head coach for the Colts. I would think that's enough if you're unhappy with Cam.

Blog Entries

Re: If Flacco improves, could Caldwell replace Cam in 2013?

Caldwell isn't a play caller, he's purely a positional coach, and I don't think he has any experience as an OC, and never called the plays as the HC in Indi either. I think if Cam finally gets ran out of Baltimore in 2013, we may be looking on the open market for a new OC. I guess if Caldwell where to be the OC, our offense would probably go a lot more WC.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 06-27-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Cam Cameron will be with this team as long as John Harbaugh is. Same with Jerry Rosburg. Those are "His Guys"--they're not going anywhere.

Blog Entries

bring in Ricky Proehl as the new OC

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Cam Cameron will be with this team as long as John Harbaugh is. Same with Jerry Rosburg. Those are "His Guys"--they're not going anywhere.
    Bingo. Cam has a job for life as long as Harbaugh is employed. Sorry but he isn't going anywhere if he doesn't want to.

Blog Entries

Eh...that may have some truth, but I think it has more to do with keeping some sort of continuity under the circumstances such as the lockout last year and losing the DC this year. If Steve want's him gone then Harbaugh won't have much of a choice.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

The only way to get rid of Cam is for Flacco to play absolutely terrible this coming season. If he plays even remotely close to the level we think he is capable of Cam stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    Eh...that may have some truth, but I think it has more to do with keeping some sort of continuity under the circumstances such as the lockout last year and losing the DC this year. If Steve want's him gone then Harbaugh won't have much of a choice.
    Steve would have to replace Harbaugh if he wanted to get rid of Cameron. That whole lockout and continuity thing was just made up by the fans. Cameron is Harbaugh's guy and he'll stick by him 'til the end.

Blog Entries

There seems to be some air that needs to be cleared here. Let's start with Jim Caldwell. Jim Caldwell not only worked with Peyton Manning, but laid the ground work for Brad Johnson. Although, neither he nor Tony Dungy were able to truly enjoy the fruits of their labor, in that situation.

Yes, Jim Caldwell does have experience calling plays and did so as the Head Coach of Indianapolis, at least, last season.

The system that Indianapolis runs has similarities to what Baltimore runs. The differences are that Indianapolis' system 'was' more pass heavy, and that they used more quick slants and 'ins' to set up their deep passing. The second difference that I mentioned is something that some fans feel has been missing here.

The relationship between Cam Cameron and John Harbaugh is overblown. First off, Steve Bisciotti and Ozzie Newsome have both made it clear that they prefer to win with emphasis on defense and running the football, rather than becoming a pass heavy team. That is a call that is coming from the top fellas.

Second, if Norv Turner hadn't been retained by San Diego, the Ravens would have seriously pursued him to be the Offensive Coordinator here. There was a lot going on with teams giving/withholding permission for other teams to speak to their guys. They wouldn't have had to go through that with Turner, but Turner was kept. They didn't have to go through that with Caldwell and that is how they were able to bring him in.

Personally, I do think that Caldwell is the bridge between Cameron's time and the new time on the horizon. Now, they don't have to search for anybody if they want to let Cameron go. They have someone within the organization who represents a similar fit to the offensive system they want to run.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Steve would have to replace Harbaugh if he wanted to get rid of Cameron. That whole lockout and continuity thing was just made up by the fans. Cameron is Harbaugh's guy and he'll stick by him 'til the end.
    I think the contrary, the whole Cam is Harbaugh's man is a fan thing. If you think that Harbaugh would put his job in jeopardy in order to save Cam's ass then you're sadly mistaken.

Why would a winning team expected to make a SB run change their OC a year that the players would have less than a month to meet him and learn his offensive system?
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    It sure looks that way. I thought there was no way Cam would be back this year. After that happened I'm leaning more towards your thinking on this.

Blog Entries

I don't know if I 100% buy that.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.