Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    How can you say amongst Ravens fans it's Flacco when the majority on this board are saying someone else.

And I wouldn't expect non-ravens fans to have an accurate opinion of our team...
    There is a difference between labelling someone as "overrated" and overrating someone. In the former case you think the guy isn't as good as others think he is; in the latter you think the guy is better than he is.

And it is absolutely true that, of all Ravens, Flacco has the biggest difference between how Ravens fans would rate him vs how the general public would rate him. Whether this is because the general public underrates him or Ravens fans overrate him or, imo, a combination of both, is the usual debate.

I agree it's Ray Lewis. And this comes from one of his biggest fans nor is it a knock on him as a player.

He's overrated much in the way Cal was overrated towards the end of his career -- still very good at what he does but does live on reputation a good bit.

Blog Entries

I can see ray lewis. I guess in my mind ive already admitted hes not the same and felt alot of public opinion is the same. Hell every year they say were too old because of him and ed. Reeds not as complete of a player as he used to be but hes still the best FS in the league at influencing QBs, see tom bradys arm sleeve for justification. However i certainly can see that opinion as well.

Our defensive stars are getting older and probably more likely to be overrated and our offense is younger so its probably underrated, just to simplify it as a whole.
    -JAB

When I think overrated I think of a player that was really good/garnered league honors etc. and has slipped but keeps getting lauded.

I would have to say Ed Reed is the most overrated Raven. In his prime and even before the injuries Ed was all over the field and made plays on defense and ST's (he probably could've been a receiver if needed and made plays). Now he does one thing really well and that's patrol center field wherein the past he did that plus rush the passer and support the run. I don't know if it's injuries, age or him simply slowing down but he's not the same Ed reed from even 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I don't think he is overrated by Ravens fans. He's certainly not overrated outside our fanbase, where very few people know his name. In order to be overrated, you have to get hype. Pollard got little last year. If anything, I think you can argue that he was one of the top 3-5 underrated Ravens from last year, given his quality play with little recognition.
    Haha--I know one fan base aside from the Ravens that knows his name. New England Patriots. He's the guy who knocked Brady out for 08 and sprained Gronkowski's ankle in the AFCCG.

I imagine that if you'd go to a Patriots board and start talking about how Pollard is underrated, you'd get some interesting responses... among them threats, being told to perform anatomical impossibilities and strings of various epithets not fit for printing in polite society.

Not that I've ever done that...

I would have to say Ellerbe.Alot of ravens fans love him and wants him to take over for Ray Lewis when he retires but imo he is awful and the afc champion game is proof. He got picked on in coverage and him and Pollard couldn't tackle in that game to save their lives.
    Oher all that need to be said is FALSE START.
    Dickson he should be #2 he dropped too many 3rd down passes and a crucial pass in afc championship game before halftime.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by He/Ate/the/Box View Post
    I would have to say Ellerbe.Alot of ravens fans love him and wants him to take over for Ray Lewis when he retires but imo he is awful and the afc champion game is proof. He got picked on in coverage and him and Pollard couldn't tackle in that game to save their lives.
    Oher all that need to be said is FALSE START.
    Dickson he should be #2 he dropped too many 3rd down passes and a crucial pass in afc championship game before halftime.
    As one of the few ellerbe supporters, i must say, 1 i dont think hes capable of replacing ray or even being the main ilb when hes gone. 2 im not sure even 10% of the fan base sees him as i do, a quality backup with potential to be starter. I wouldnt think that warrants him being overrated.
    -JAB

Americanmade2012 Guest

Flacco

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt CouchPotato View Post
    amongst ravens fans? joe flacco

i'd be willing to bet if you'd post this question on any nfl board 70-80% of replies would be flacco
    I don't think it's Joe for the Ravens fans but I agree that most fans of other teams would say that. I know in my office where I am the only Ravens fan I constantly hear that Joe is the weak link of our team.
    Last edited by GOTA; 06-28-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    You lost me here. You think Pollard version 2011 was equal to Landry version 2010? If that's your premise, then I think you are off to a bad start.

Pollard missed a fraction of the tackles that Landry. Pollard wasn't abused regularly in pass coverage like Landry 2010. In fact, did Pollard even surrender a TD pass all of last year? I'm sure he did, but off the top of my head, I can't think of any. Landry let several defenders get behind him for TDs in 2010 (including Brandon Lloyd twice in the same half). Pollard, in big spots all year, made plays. Landry missed tackle against Redman and poor coverage against Antonio Brown (also put on Webb) were two of the biggest reasons that the 2010 Ravens weren't in the Super Bowl. I liked Landry as a player, but he was pretty mediocre in 2010. I'm not saying Pollard was an All-Pro, but he probably had one of the top 2-3 seasons we've seen from a SS in the Ravens brief history.

I don't think he is overrated by Ravens fans. He's certainly not overrated outside our fanbase, where very few people know his name. In order to be overrated, you have to get hype. Pollard got little last year. If anything, I think you can argue that he was one of the top 3-5 underrated Ravens from last year, given his quality play with little recognition.
    The difference between Landry in 2010 and Pollard in 2011 was Greg Mattison and Chuck Pagano. Pollard wasn't abused regularly in pass coverage because the Ravens found ways to keep him out of that situation. And Mattison insisted on trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I am not saying that Landry is a better player than Pollard or vice versa. I am saying that they are infact the same type of player. They have the same strengths and weaknesses. Ravens fans talk about Pollard like he's heads and shoulders better than what we had before and he's not. He's the status quo.

I am shocked at some of the names on this list...Ray RIce, really?? Wow!! I would say some of the names listed are based on what people want them to be and not what they actually are. Boldin is not Calvin Johnson but no one who knows the game expected him to be. I always thought Zibby and haruki were over rated when they were here but really could not come up with quick answer. Flacco and Rice...I am damn glad they are Ravens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    The difference between Landry in 2010 and Pollard in 2011 was Greg Mattison and Chuck Pagano. Pollard wasn't abused regularly in pass coverage because the Ravens found ways to keep him out of that situation. And Mattison insisted on trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I am not saying that Landry is a better player than Pollard or vice versa. I am saying that they are infact the same type of player. They have the same strengths and weaknesses. Ravens fans talk about Pollard like he's heads and shoulders better than what we had before and he's not. He's the status quo.
    I disagree, Bernard Pollard was a better hitter than Landry, I never seen Pollard get driven back like Landry did against Peyton Hillis...