Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    I'd agree with Ray Rice. He is a special player, very talented. But much of his success is based on the absurd number of touches he gets. I think the Ravens were running something like 60-70 percent of their offensive plays through him. Any NFL caliber back is going to put up huge numbers when they are such a focal point of the offense.
    Ever wondered the reason we run the offense through him is because he's that damn good? It's not even close to that amount anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Ever wondered the reason we run the offense through him is because he's that damn good? It's not even close to that amount anyway.
    The reason the offense is run through him is the Ravens conservative offensive approach. The easiest way to minimize turnovers is to run the ball a ton and dump it off to the running back in the passing game. The Ravens had a don't lose the game offensive approach before Rice. It is an organization approach and probably was one of the factors that led to the hiring of the Harbaugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    By Ravens fans Bernard Pollard is one of the most overrated players this team has had in a long time. He's basically a less expensive Dawan Landry but people talk about him like he's a major upgrade. He's got the same strength's and weaknesses as Landry.
    You lost me here. You think Pollard version 2011 was equal to Landry version 2010? If that's your premise, then I think you are off to a bad start.

Pollard missed a fraction of the tackles that Landry. Pollard wasn't abused regularly in pass coverage like Landry 2010. In fact, did Pollard even surrender a TD pass all of last year? I'm sure he did, but off the top of my head, I can't think of any. Landry let several defenders get behind him for TDs in 2010 (including Brandon Lloyd twice in the same half). Pollard, in big spots all year, made plays. Landry missed tackle against Redman and poor coverage against Antonio Brown (also put on Webb) were two of the biggest reasons that the 2010 Ravens weren't in the Super Bowl. I liked Landry as a player, but he was pretty mediocre in 2010. I'm not saying Pollard was an All-Pro, but he probably had one of the top 2-3 seasons we've seen from a SS in the Ravens brief history.

I don't think he is overrated by Ravens fans. He's certainly not overrated outside our fanbase, where very few people know his name. In order to be overrated, you have to get hype. Pollard got little last year. If anything, I think you can argue that he was one of the top 3-5 underrated Ravens from last year, given his quality play with little recognition.

Overrated Ravens:

Michael Oher (definitely)
    Anquan Boldin (probably a little bit)
    Ed Reed (at this point of his career....i hate to say it...but he is not as good a player as the hype he receives)

Underrated Ravens

Bernard Pollard
    Dennis Pitta

Michael Oher

Has huge name recognition among casual fans around the league

He swept up the votes for the pro-bowl a few months back when voting was available on nfl.com to the public

His production in no way matches his fame

I'd have to agree on Oher.

I can't believe more people haven't mentioned Flacco. Thank goodness he played well in the AFCC last year. If this thread had been posted last offseason or during last season......yikes....lol.

Btw, just for the record, I don't think he's overrated at all. Quite the opposite, actually, in particular by the many in the media.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

amongst ravens fans? joe flacco

i'd be willing to bet if you'd post this question on any nfl board 70-80% of replies would be flacco

8. Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

Rice is great as a receiver but nothing more than solid as a runner.

Oher is awful.

Birk is serviceable.

Boldin overrated? Words fail me some times.
    UKRavenGordon's Gametrips

2009 v Cleveland W
    2010 @ New York Jets W
    2011 (January 2012) @ New England AFCCG L

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt CouchPotato View Post
    amongst ravens fans? joe flacco

i'd be willing to bet if you'd post this question on any nfl board 70-80% of replies would be flacco
    How can you say amongst Ravens fans it's Flacco when the majority on this board are saying someone else.

And I wouldn't expect non-ravens fans to have an accurate opinion of our team...

Blog Entries

Saying Joe Flacco is overrated is one of the most ludicrous things you could say. He is the most underrated player in recent NFL history. His td interception ratio is 7-2 in the last two postseasons and that's WITH a guaranteed ticket to the Super Bowl flat out dropped, and another dropped touchdown that very likely would've been good for going to the AFC Championship game. And that's with Ray Rice doing absolutely NOTHING in 3 of the 4 games. Yet, somehow Flacco is a choke artist and relies on Ray Rice according to the rest of the league. Flacco is let down BIGTIME by the rest of the team. If Flacco's team helped him out as much as Roethlisberger or Tom Brady's teams did then Flacco would have two superbowl rings right now. (if Flacco brought the same game to the Superbowl that he had in playoffs, obviously.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenGordon View Post
    Rice is great as a receiver but nothing more than solid as a runner.
    As a runner, I'd say between the tackle he is just solid, but as a runner who can break out a huge gain at any time in a game (see the two Bengals games that helped us get a bye week in play offs) I'd say he's up there in the top 3. He doesn't have break away speed that Arian Foster has, but he probably has the best vision as a runner in the game, and in space he is really hard to bring down. If he breaks the first line of defense, he almost always goes out for at least a 10 yard gain or more.

Most underrated star player on this board- Ray Rice.

12. Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

I have to go against the grain here and piss off most readers by saying the most overrated Raven is...Ray Lewis. The recent poll on the NFL network has him rated at 20, but I don't think he's that high. He's lost at least 2 steps, is slow getting from sideline to sideline, and is getting overmatched by the better offensive lineman in the league. He doesn't shed blocks like he used to and is a liability in pass coverage.

I know that he's still the unchallengedinspirational leader of the team, is probably the smartest middle linebacker in the game, and his leadership skills are invaluable. But as a player, he overrated