Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

Who is your choice and why?

This one is actually pretty tough for me because honestly I think that the Ravens, in general, are always underrated.

If I had to pick 1 person though it would probably be Anquan Boldin and it hurts to say that because he's one of my favorite players. I realize that there are legitimate arguments to be made that he's not used properly, et al, BUT they gave up a high draft pick for the guy, paid him a substantial contract, and he's really just been average since coming to Baltimore when they really needed him to step up and be that #1 guy.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Who is your choice and why?

This one is actually pretty tough for me because honestly I think that the Ravens, in general, are always underrated.

If I had to pick 1 person though it would probably be Anquan Boldin and it hurts to say that because he's one of my favorite players. I realize that there are legitimate arguments to be made that he's not used properly, et al, BUT they gave up a high draft pick for the guy, paid him a substantial contract, and he's really just been average since coming to Baltimore when they really needed him to step up and be that #1 guy.
    Our signing of Boldin is akin to signing C.C. Sabathia and having him play 3rd base. Before we signed him, Bolding was one of the best in the league at quick slants and other short passes that he turned into big plays. Despite our struggles against the blitz, the quick slant and hot routes aren't in the playbook.

As far as the most over-rated Raven is concerned, in my opinion its Matt Birk. He was terrible down the stretch last year, but still receives the high acolades.

Blog Entries

I don't understand all of the praise that Birk receives either.

If I had to rank the top 3 he would be included.

He was a great player at one point and he's still a decent player, but a lot of people talk like he's the best center in the league.

Agree with both of you.

Boldin is more of a possession receiver like Derrick Mason and the Ravens don't use his best abilities to their advantage.

And yes, while Birk was once one of the best, those days are behind him now.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

Whenever Boldin has a good game for us (like vs the Chiefs in the wild card round in 2010) we use him on slant routes and short to intermediate completions, I don't get why we don't use him like that in every game because our offense would be so much more effective, would move the chains a lot more.

I'd say Ben Grubbs was up there in conversation too, a lot of people put the blame on Birk for our poor play on the offensive line down the stretch, but Grubbs had a lot to do with Wilfolks huge game against us. Birk isn't really underrated either IMO, it's only really scouting websites who rank him up there, he never got voted into the pro bowl while he's been with us or anything like that.

Blog Entries

id say Boldin and Birk should be the two for the same reasons. Id agree overall we dont get the recognition the players deserve, the ones that do, have earned it (Ray, Reed, Haloti, Suggs, etc).

If I had to choose another by force... ayanbadejo. Hes a very good Special Teams player, but I dont think hes maintained his elite status since coming here.
    -JAB

I don't understand all of the praise that Birk receives either.

If I had to rank the top 3 he would be included.

He was a great player at one point and he's still a decent player, but a lot of people talk like he's the best center in the league.
    PFF has him as the 9th best overall C and 3rd best pass-blocking C in the NFL last season. I'd say he still deserves praise.

Michael Oher is the only choice that really makes sense. Ray Lewis & Ed Reed aren't overrated, everyone understands that they aren't as good as they used to be, but the fact is they are still both above-average at their positions. According to PFF, Ray Lewis was the 5th best ILB in the NFL last season and graded positively in all facets of the game, and Ed Reed was the 14th best Safety and graded positively in all facets of the game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mfdoom42 View Post
    PFF has him as the 9th best overall C and 3rd best pass-blocking C in the NFL last season. I'd say he still deserves praise.
    The eyeball test tells me differently. It's a hotly debated topic on here regarding PFF's findings and whether or not they really translate to an accurate analysis or not. Some feel strongly that they do and others find it questionable. It is interesting how they arrive at their conclusions though, I will say that.

I know Birk is still a good center. He's smart, big, and he's still got some oomph to him, but I think you could make a legitimate argument that in a fantasty draft most GM's and coaches would take guys like Nick Mangold, Ryan Kalil, Alex Mack, Ed Wood, Max Unger, Chris Myers, and a few others before Birk.

The eyeball test tells me differently. It's a hotly debated topic on here regarding PFF's findings and whether or not they really translate to an accurate analysis or not. Some feel strongly that they do and others find it questionable. It is interesting how they arrive at their conclusions though, I will say that.

I know Birk is still a good center. He's smart, big, and he's still got some oomph to him, but I think you could make a legitimate argument that in a fantasty draft most GM's and coaches would take guys like Nick Mangold, Ryan Kalil, Alex Mack, Ed Wood, Max Unger, Chris Myers, and a few others before Birk.
    I'm not exactly sure how they do their rankings either, but it seemed that Birk really wore down at the end of the season. New England's 32nd ranked defense looked like the '85 Bears against him and the rest of the interior part of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Our signing of Boldin is akin to signing C.C. Sabathia and having him play 3rd base. Before we signed him, Bolding was one of the best in the league at quick slants and other short passes that he turned into big plays. Despite our struggles against the blitz, the quick slant and hot routes aren't in the playbook.

As far as the most over-rated Raven is concerned, in my opinion its Matt Birk. He was terrible down the stretch last year, but still receives the high acolades.
    Have to agree, at this point I dont see Anquan playing for more than one more season here in Bmore. He has had far too many drops last season, unless this doesnt change , Flacco will target Torrey all season long as he is by far the most dangerous WR on this team. Im curious to see what Streeter will bring, Lewis' influence should also speed up his development. As both trained together this offseason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by defence84 View Post
    Have to agree, at this point I dont see Anquan playing for more than one more season here in Bmore. He has had far too many drops last season, unless this doesnt change , Flacco will target Torrey all season long as he is by far the most dangerous WR on this team. Im curious to see what Streeter will bring, Lewis' influence should also speed up his development. As both trained together this offseason.
    I think you are being too optimistic here. Boldin has two years left on his contract, and the Ravens aren't just going to cut him because he's earning a lot of money and not putting up pro bowl type numbers that everyone wants to see. Right now, we don't really know what we have behind Boldin and Smith, we do have Jacoby Jones who is a below average receiver, and other than that a bunch of unproven rookies/second year players. Unless one or more of the young receivers step up and prove they can go straight away into the #2 position, there is a very low chance that Boldin gets cut. He is still a reliable receiver who can make crucial plays for you no matter what anybody says. I think Torrey Smith will be the main guy, but to say he will be by far the most dangerous weapon is also way too optimistic at this point.