Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who will win the battle for the title of Ray Rice's backup?

Aaron Wilson checks in with a report on the trio of backs vying for the job HERE

Cast YOUR vote in our poll today.

Happy 4th everyone!

399268_10151244435137589_1291695109_n.jpg
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: Who will win the battle for the title of Ray Rice's backup?

Berry bears watching if only to see if he's lost any of his speed & quickness while bulking up to 223. If not, things could get real interesting real quick.

I'm pulling for Bernard. This dude could be Ray's replacement.

Blog Entries

I can't see Bernard not making the team, we traded up to take him in the 3rd, so he is as close to a lock as we can get.
    Now are we carring 2 backs behind Rice? Berry and Allen battle for one spot both
    I'm sorry, I don't have the PS eligibility at my fingertips.... if both have eligibility, and we keep one, we cut the one most likely to slide to the PS and keep the one who would probably be grabbed.
    I have no idea, gonna depend on camp, how much good tape they generate for other teams in pre-season.
    How well they read and pick up blitzers, but that is nearly impossible to get a good read on since Ds hide a lot of things in pre-season.
    I think Berry has eligibility left (used one last year)
    Allen I think was on the roster last year (active 5 games) so not eligible.

If I had to pure guess I'd go with Allen backing up Rice and Bernard on roster, Berry PS.
    If Berry is super in pre-season then Allen goes, but need info that hasn't been produced yet to make that statement
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Please don't burn me at the steak (pun intended on July 4th). Is it remotely possible that AAllen could temporarily (for a short period of time) back-up fullback too? Personally, I'd like to see Pierce win the 2nd spot, but I'm happy that we have three young RBs behind RR... Bc

Blog Entries

Yep, it is possible, versitility helps and having someone at another spot who provides back-up for Vonta would be a plus for Allen's cause.

I don't think Bernard will be fully trusted in back up role early in season, he may entrench himself there late (and FO will want to see what they have in him, especially if Rice is playing under the tag). I do think Pierce will have the 2nd spot late, after he proves blitz recognition, and safety valve release timing.

The other real possibility is Ozzie brings in the next Williams and neither Allen or Berry make the 53.
    Just speculation now, absolutely no idea of who will get beat out on another team, but this time last year Ricky hadn't come on any of our radar, then on Aug 8th, bingo we sign him. Looks less probable with the salary cap squeezed but they could do it if they felt it made the team better, I don't think any of us here doubt they could do that if they wanted.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Yep, it is possible, versitility helps and having someone at another spot who provides back-up for Vonta would be a plus for Allen's cause.

I don't think Bernard will be fully trusted in back up role early in season, he may entrench himself there late (and FO will want to see what they have in him, especially if Rice is playing under the tag). I do think Pierce will have the 2nd spot late, after he proves blitz recognition, and safety valve release timing.

The other real possibility is Ozzie brings in the next Williams and neither Allen or Berry make the 53.
    Just speculation now, absolutely no idea of who will get beat out on another team, but this time last year Ricky hadn't come on any of our radar, then on Aug 8th, bingo we sign him. Looks less probable with the salary cap squeezed but they could do it if they felt it made the team better, I don't think any of us here doubt they could do that if they wanted.

For as little as they used Williams last year I hope not. I just hope that one of them steps up as a short yardage back. We really missed McGahee on the short runs especially inside the 20.

Blog Entries

I may have missed this info but what can each of these guys contribute on special teams? That may get them on the roster

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Damien Berry seemed to show a little bit as a returner, last training camp.

The one thing that Berry might have going for him is that he is the runner who most resembles Rice. Pierce is, without question, the best fit for the running scheme. Allen brings more to the table as a power back, something the Ravens like to have late in games.

With that in mind, I could see why neither has separated so far. The good thing, in my opinion, is that they won't need a veteran.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Pierce is going to be a monster, and the staff loves him. He wins the backup role from day 1 IMO. I am real excited about him.

Blog Entries

id surprised if pierce didnt end up the 2nd RB. Berry sounds like he has kept his speed while bulking up but im not sure if its enough to surpass allen or not. We did carry an extra RB one year didnt we? maybe we go 4 RBs if Berry/Allen can stand out on STs?
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    id surprised if pierce didnt end up the 2nd RB. Berry sounds like he has kept his speed while bulking up but im not sure if its enough to surpass allen or not. We did carry an extra RB one year didnt we? maybe we go 4 RBs if Berry/Allen can stand out on STs?
    That's kinda what I was getting at; especially with RR's contract uncertainty. Best case scenario would be to keep two or three of these guys around, depending on camp performance.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!