Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: In your opinion: Who is the most overrated Raven?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think the center position requires much more intelligence than a lot on this board give credit. That's why the older guys hang around for years; they call the assignments and make the reads. Jeff Saturday may play forever.

Having a smart guy like Birk helps Flacco a lot. Maybe he gets bull rushed on occasion but he doesn't get out smarted IMO.

Hands down my pick is Oher
    I definitely thought about Oher as well.

There are folks talking about him being a pro-bowler this year, being the best on the OL this year, etc.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

I considered Oher too, he's been getting a good bit of hype. Maybe he does get better if the Ravens leave him on one side of the line so he can get used to it.

The poster that made that review video yesterday, called Oher "premier". I think that is a bit over the top, at least at this point in Big Mike's career.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

I have not heard very many if any kind words regarding Cam and Oher from fans and non-fans. Cam lost his genius title a long time ago.

I agree, Im not sure where any praise of Oher is coming from. He played completely mediocre last year at RT after a pretty pathetic attempt at LT. His awe of "the blind side" and everything else that carried him the first year or two is long gone. If anything id say his "rating" is finally where it belongs.
    -JAB

I would have to say Matt Birk as well. Oher is a close second though.

I'd agree with Ray Rice. He is a special player, very talented. But much of his success is based on the absurd number of touches he gets. I think the Ravens were running something like 60-70 percent of their offensive plays through him. Any NFL caliber back is going to put up huge numbers when they are such a focal point of the offense.

This article over on baltimoreravens.com says that ESPN Insider KC Joyner considers Flacco to be overrated.

“Flacco put himself on this list by saying in an April radio interview that he thinks he is the best quarterback in the NFL,” Joyner wrote.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...errated-raven/

Not that I really care what ESPN has to say these days, just thought I'd throw this into the mix.
    Last edited by flraven; 06-27-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added link
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

Flacco is overrated by himself only

I'd say it's Birk. Even still, not many Ravens get all that much high praise that don't really deserve it.

Blog Entries

How in the world can you say RAY RICE is overrated? Just wow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    I'd agree with Ray Rice. He is a special player, very talented. But much of his success is based on the absurd number of touches he gets. I think the Ravens were running something like 60-70 percent of their offensive plays through him. Any NFL caliber back is going to put up huge numbers when they are such a focal point of the offense.
    Ever wondered the reason we run the offense through him is because he's that damn good? It's not even close to that amount anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Ever wondered the reason we run the offense through him is because he's that damn good? It's not even close to that amount anyway.
    The reason the offense is run through him is the Ravens conservative offensive approach. The easiest way to minimize turnovers is to run the ball a ton and dump it off to the running back in the passing game. The Ravens had a don't lose the game offensive approach before Rice. It is an organization approach and probably was one of the factors that led to the hiring of the Harbaugh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    By Ravens fans Bernard Pollard is one of the most overrated players this team has had in a long time. He's basically a less expensive Dawan Landry but people talk about him like he's a major upgrade. He's got the same strength's and weaknesses as Landry.
    You lost me here. You think Pollard version 2011 was equal to Landry version 2010? If that's your premise, then I think you are off to a bad start.

Pollard missed a fraction of the tackles that Landry. Pollard wasn't abused regularly in pass coverage like Landry 2010. In fact, did Pollard even surrender a TD pass all of last year? I'm sure he did, but off the top of my head, I can't think of any. Landry let several defenders get behind him for TDs in 2010 (including Brandon Lloyd twice in the same half). Pollard, in big spots all year, made plays. Landry missed tackle against Redman and poor coverage against Antonio Brown (also put on Webb) were two of the biggest reasons that the 2010 Ravens weren't in the Super Bowl. I liked Landry as a player, but he was pretty mediocre in 2010. I'm not saying Pollard was an All-Pro, but he probably had one of the top 2-3 seasons we've seen from a SS in the Ravens brief history.

I don't think he is overrated by Ravens fans. He's certainly not overrated outside our fanbase, where very few people know his name. In order to be overrated, you have to get hype. Pollard got little last year. If anything, I think you can argue that he was one of the top 3-5 underrated Ravens from last year, given his quality play with little recognition.

Blog Entries

Overrated Ravens:

Michael Oher (definitely)
    Anquan Boldin (probably a little bit)
    Ed Reed (at this point of his career....i hate to say it...but he is not as good a player as the hype he receives)

Underrated Ravens

Bernard Pollard
    Dennis Pitta

Blog Entries

Michael Oher

Has huge name recognition among casual fans around the league

He swept up the votes for the pro-bowl a few months back when voting was available on nfl.com to the public

His production in no way matches his fame

I'd have to agree on Oher.

I can't believe more people haven't mentioned Flacco. Thank goodness he played well in the AFCC last year. If this thread had been posted last offseason or during last season......yikes....lol.

Btw, just for the record, I don't think he's overrated at all. Quite the opposite, actually, in particular by the many in the media.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...