Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    What choices do teams like Boise and TCU have regarding conferences? Boise announced they were joining the Big East (hardly a football powerhouse) and now there are rumblings that they'll stay in the MW. These contracts have serious financial penalties if broken
    The contracts do expire though. So if or when they expire and a team wants to move conferences there are plenty of choices. Either one of those teams would fit perfectly in the Pac 12 or Big 12.

Blog Entries

What choices do teams like Boise and TCU have regarding conferences? Boise announced they were joining the Big East (hardly a football powerhouse) and now there are rumblings that they'll stay in the MW. These contracts have serious financial penalties if broken
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big East dissipate anyway. Now that Pitt, Cuse, and UCONN have joined the ACC and WVU has joined the Big 12 there really is no big program bringing in $$$ to the Big East. Now, if the Big East could coax Army, Temple, Notre Dame, and potentially Penn State then they may have something.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

UCONN didn't join the ACC, we'd never have them.

I hate it. It's all about the money and I think it will water down the bowl games which I have always enjoyed.

Truth be told I haven't enjoyed the bowls since the old format where there were a ton of meaningful games all on New Years Day. That made it one of the best days of the year. I hate having all the decent games being spread over a two week old period. Now it's tough to see all the good games because of schedules, obligations, etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    UCONN didn't join the ACC, we'd never have them.
    Weren't they joining or considering it?

I know Cuse and Pitt joined...for some reason I thought there was 1 more Big East team to leave for the ACC...

This doesn't solve anything.

Instead of people whining about the #3 team getting left out, they'll now be whining about the #5 team. Same thing will happen no matter how many teams they put in the playoff. The last spots will always be debated.

There is no cure-all fix for college football championships. It's subjectively determined, always has been, always will be, because of the nature of it's structure. The sooner people realize this the better off they will be.

I lost interest in national level NCAA football (i.e. beyond Terps & Navy) many years ago, after the 1-2-3 punches of the BCS "Championship", the college OT system, and 15 yard pass interference rule. Instituting a 4 team playoff system is a small step in the right direction, but not enough to recapture my support.

Should be an 8 game playoff system: six conference champs + two at large highest remaining ranked teams.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

8. Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

Not perfect, but a great improvement that will eventually lead to an 8 team playoff. It's amazing how many people dwell on the negatives around this development. The selection process for four teams can't possibly be worse than the BCS selection process. Unlike basketball, I think a group of monkeys could identify the 8 best college football teams every year. With four, there might be some years where there's a legit argument. But so what? This will be much more interesting.

9. Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    This doesn't solve anything.

Instead of people whining about the #3 team getting left out, they'll now be whining about the #5 team. Same thing will happen no matter how many teams they put in the playoff. The last spots will always be debated.

There is no cure-all fix for college football championships. It's subjectively determined, always has been, always will be, because of the nature of it's structure. The sooner people realize this the better off they will be.
    There's always going to be whining. Look at basketball. Teams whine about not making a 65 team field. That doesn't detract from this. The regular season is still relevant b/c you need at most one loss to get a seat at the table. Then you get a 4 team playoff. The bowls were already meaningless outside of the championship game. It isn't possible to make them anymore meaningless imo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 34wassmooth View Post
    Not perfect, but a great improvement that will eventually lead to an 8 team playoff. It's amazing how many people dwell on the negatives around this development. The selection process for four teams can't possibly be worse than the BCS selection process. Unlike basketball, I think a group of monkeys could identify the 8 best college football teams every year. With four, there might be some years where there's a legit argument. But so what? This will be much more interesting.
    Interesting or predictable?

SEC will get at least one of the spots, potentially two
    Big Ten will get a spot
    Pac12 winner will get a spot

Where does that leave ACC, Big East? No way they get in. Forget about the smaller conferences. What if Notre Dame goes 11-1?

So what would the four have been last year; LSU, Bama, and then who? A 1 loss OKS/Boise/Houston team or a 2 loss Oregon/Arkansas/USC/Michigan team? Can't really put 3 SEC teams in regardless of record or people will go crazy. Going back to other years it would be even tougher.

I think they've made it worse than it was but at least they'll make a lot of money.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Interesting or predictable?

SEC will get at least one of the spots, potentially two
    Big Ten will get a spot
    Pac12 winner will get a spot

Where does that leave ACC, Big East? No way they get in. Forget about the smaller conferences. What if Notre Dame goes 11-1?

So what would the four have been last year; LSU, Bama, and then who? A 1 loss OKS/Boise/Houston team or a 2 loss Oregon/Arkansas/USC/Michigan team? Can't really put 3 SEC teams in regardless of record or people will go crazy. Going back to other years it would be even tougher.

I think they've made it worse than it was but at least they'll make a lot of money.
    Virginia Tech, Florida State, and Clemson definitely have the juice to do it next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Virginia Tech, Florida State, and Clemson definitely have the juice to do it next year.
    but you see the problem, right? You know the winner of USC/Oregon gets in and if Michigan beats Ohio St (or however it winds up), they're in. SEC will no doubt get one spot if not two. There are only four spots...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!