Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,203

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football



    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I hate it. It's all about the money and I think it will water down the bowl games which I have always enjoyed.

    Truth be told I haven't enjoyed the bowls since the old format where there were a ton of meaningful games all on New Years Day. That made it one of the best days of the year. I hate having all the decent games being spread over a two week old period. Now it's tough to see all the good games because of schedules, obligations, etc.




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    UCONN didn't join the ACC, we'd never have them.
    Weren't they joining or considering it?

    I know Cuse and Pitt joined...for some reason I thought there was 1 more Big East team to leave for the ACC...
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    This doesn't solve anything.

    Instead of people whining about the #3 team getting left out, they'll now be whining about the #5 team. Same thing will happen no matter how many teams they put in the playoff. The last spots will always be debated.

    There is no cure-all fix for college football championships. It's subjectively determined, always has been, always will be, because of the nature of it's structure. The sooner people realize this the better off they will be.




  4. #19

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    I lost interest in national level NCAA football (i.e. beyond Terps & Navy) many years ago, after the 1-2-3 punches of the BCS "Championship", the college OT system, and 15 yard pass interference rule. Instituting a 4 team playoff system is a small step in the right direction, but not enough to recapture my support.

    Should be an 8 game playoff system: six conference champs + two at large highest remaining ranked teams.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).




  5. #20

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Not perfect, but a great improvement that will eventually lead to an 8 team playoff. It's amazing how many people dwell on the negatives around this development. The selection process for four teams can't possibly be worse than the BCS selection process. Unlike basketball, I think a group of monkeys could identify the 8 best college football teams every year. With four, there might be some years where there's a legit argument. But so what? This will be much more interesting.




  6. #21

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    This doesn't solve anything.

    Instead of people whining about the #3 team getting left out, they'll now be whining about the #5 team. Same thing will happen no matter how many teams they put in the playoff. The last spots will always be debated.

    There is no cure-all fix for college football championships. It's subjectively determined, always has been, always will be, because of the nature of it's structure. The sooner people realize this the better off they will be.
    There's always going to be whining. Look at basketball. Teams whine about not making a 65 team field. That doesn't detract from this. The regular season is still relevant b/c you need at most one loss to get a seat at the table. Then you get a 4 team playoff. The bowls were already meaningless outside of the championship game. It isn't possible to make them anymore meaningless imo.




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,944
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by 34wassmooth View Post
    Not perfect, but a great improvement that will eventually lead to an 8 team playoff. It's amazing how many people dwell on the negatives around this development. The selection process for four teams can't possibly be worse than the BCS selection process. Unlike basketball, I think a group of monkeys could identify the 8 best college football teams every year. With four, there might be some years where there's a legit argument. But so what? This will be much more interesting.
    Interesting or predictable?

    SEC will get at least one of the spots, potentially two
    Big Ten will get a spot
    Pac12 winner will get a spot

    Where does that leave ACC, Big East? No way they get in. Forget about the smaller conferences. What if Notre Dame goes 11-1?

    So what would the four have been last year; LSU, Bama, and then who? A 1 loss OKS/Boise/Houston team or a 2 loss Oregon/Arkansas/USC/Michigan team? Can't really put 3 SEC teams in regardless of record or people will go crazy. Going back to other years it would be even tougher.

    I think they've made it worse than it was but at least they'll make a lot of money.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Interesting or predictable?

    SEC will get at least one of the spots, potentially two
    Big Ten will get a spot
    Pac12 winner will get a spot

    Where does that leave ACC, Big East? No way they get in. Forget about the smaller conferences. What if Notre Dame goes 11-1?

    So what would the four have been last year; LSU, Bama, and then who? A 1 loss OKS/Boise/Houston team or a 2 loss Oregon/Arkansas/USC/Michigan team? Can't really put 3 SEC teams in regardless of record or people will go crazy. Going back to other years it would be even tougher.

    I think they've made it worse than it was but at least they'll make a lot of money.
    Virginia Tech, Florida State, and Clemson definitely have the juice to do it next year.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,944
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Virginia Tech, Florida State, and Clemson definitely have the juice to do it next year.
    but you see the problem, right? You know the winner of USC/Oregon gets in and if Michigan beats Ohio St (or however it winds up), they're in. SEC will no doubt get one spot if not two. There are only four spots...
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    It's about fucking time. It won't be without flaw, but it's a lot better than the joke they have had for years and years and years. Eventually I think it should (and hopefully will) expand to 6 or 8 teams, but let's be honest, the top 4 teams in the old BCS rankings were usually the best four teams in the country. Giving those 4 teams a shot at winning a playoff is a great thing, IMO.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...





  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    but you see the problem, right? You know the winner of USC/Oregon gets in and if Michigan beats Ohio St (or however it winds up), they're in. SEC will no doubt get one spot if not two. There are only four spots...
    I'm not following your logic. If the ACC has a strong team with a good record, or if Notre Dame is 11-1, why wouldn't they get in? Sure, the BCS rankings (or whatever it'll be called now) isn't perfect, but there have been ACC schools (and Big East, N.D., etc) in the top four in the past. I don't see why there wouldn't be going forward.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...





  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Last year the playoff would've looked like this:

    Semi's

    1 LSU vs. 4 Stanford
    2 Alabama vs. 3 Oklahoma State
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...





  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,944
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Last year the playoff would've looked like this:

    Semi's

    1 LSU vs. 4 Stanford
    2 Alabama vs. 3 Oklahoma State
    That's my point! Pac12, Big12, SEC. No room for anyone else. So instead of the one team that felt slighted every few years you're gonna have several teams that feel slighted every year.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,365
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That's my point! Pac12, Big12, SEC. No room for anyone else. So instead of the one team that felt slighted every few years you're gonna have several teams that feel slighted every year.
    Either way, playoff or traditional rankings those left out teams wouldn't get a shot at the National Title anyway unless 1) their records reflect, and 2) their strength of schedule permit it so i'm not sure why making this playoff is a bad thing?
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,741

    Re: OT - 4 Team Playoff for College Football

    Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Last year the playoff would've looked like this:

    Semi's

    1 LSU vs. 4 Stanford
    2 Alabama vs. 3 Oklahoma State
    what rankings were you going off of. Wouldn't have been Oregon or Arkansas?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland