The Silver Lining in Suggs' Injury

Losing the reigning AFC Defensive Player of the Year for no less than half of the regular season can’t be good. That said there is a silver lining.

When players of Suggs’ stature and skill are lost it is incumbent upon everyone else on the team to pick up the slack. Not just Paul Kruger or Courtney Upshaw, but also Suggs’ defensive mates, the offense, special teams and even the coaches.

Naturally the focus will be upon Kruger and Upshaw. Their productivity is easily measured and compared to that of Suggs and the recently departed Jarret Johnson. But the other defenders can pick up their respective games to lessen the blow.

If Haloti Ngata, Terrence Cody, Art Jones and newcomer Ryan McBean can create havoc on the interior line, choke off the run and create favorable down and distance situations, it could alter opposing offensive game plans and make it easier for Kruger and Upshaw.

What if Pernell McPhee continues his promising development? Might he benefit from the additional snaps he’ll receive in Suggs’ absence?

MORE HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: The Silver Lining in Suggs' Injury

There is no silver lining to losing your best pass rusher. Its not a good thing to look for unproven guys to match suggs' 2 dozen sacks over the last couple years.

It is what it is. And it will be in the front of the minds of the coaching staff after every single training camp/preseason practice. Not only do they have to plug a new guy in at suggs position, but the also have to adjust their entire scheme.

I am looking forward to seeing what the younger guys bring, but i would rather see them doing it with suggs on the other side taking on an extra blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    There is no silver lining to losing your best pass rusher. Its not a good thing to look for unproven guys to match suggs' 2 dozen sacks over the last couple years.

It is what it is. And it will be in the front of the minds of the coaching staff after every single training camp/preseason practice. Not only do they have to plug a new guy in at suggs position, but the also have to adjust their entire scheme.

I am looking forward to seeing what the younger guys bring, but i would rather see them doing it with suggs on the other side taking on an extra blocker.
    There is indeed a silver lining to everything...if the young guys step up and produce that's the silver lining right there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post

hawk, I totally agree. We can look for the young guys to adapt all we can, but they could have done that WITH Suggs in the line-up too... Bc

It is a silver lining.
    It is also still a cloud.

iggyman555 Guest

too bad suggs choked in the 2 playoff games

Blog Entries

I liked this article. Plus I think the secondary will build on last year and be even better, which will buy the pass rush an extra second or two to wreak havoc. There's going to be a drop off, especially given the qb's we have to face, but it's not going to be as precipitous as many predict.

It is never good to lose the reigning DPOY. The loss may force the DC to become more creative. We will find out real quick if Kruger and Kindle can play. Houston's were able to maintain a high level on defense even after the loss of Mario Williams last year. With the improvement of the secondary the staff should be able to send more guys after the qb.

An NFL evaluator familiar with the Ravens’ roster recently told PFW that OLB Terrell Suggs' Achilles injury, should it keep him out the entire season, could have a trickle-down effect on the entire defense, with more stress being placed on the defensive backs. The Ravens’ secondary, the evaluator said, benefits from the pressure Suggs creates, and Suggs’ presence also helps the club’s other pass rushers. Suggs, said the evaluator, who spoke on condition of anonymity, was adept at funneling quarterbacks toward his teammates with his pressure. Suggs notched 14 of the Ravens' 48 sacks in 2011; no other Baltimore defender had more than a half-dozen.