Florio: Cap Space Update by Team (6/22/12)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...as-of-june-22/

Ravens have least amount with $606k.....is this reason to be alarmed? If Rice were to get signed to a long term deal anyone know how much that could hurt/help?
    ::Flacco Superstar::

Blog Entries

Re: Florio: Cap Space Update by Team (6/22/12)

first reaction is... how the hell do the Eagles do it?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    first reaction is... how the hell do the Eagles do it?
    Eagles do a better job of structuring their contracts. And they traded one of their big money guys away (Samuel).

Quote Originally Posted by RavenousD View Post
    Ravens have least amount with $606k.....is this reason to be alarmed?
    No. Simply means we've spent what we're going to spend this year on FA.

That number also assumes Rice will play on the tag number. If he signs a new deal, he wont get that amount this year. It will be for lesser money this season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenousD View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...as-of-june-22/

Ravens have least amount with $606k.....is this reason to be alarmed? If Rice were to get signed to a long term deal anyone know how much that could hurt/help?
    The cap is fluid. If the ravens have interest in somebody that becomes available there are plenty of ways to free up some more money. Bisciotti has said they have about a dozen scenerios in which to do that. No reason for alarm.

I don't know that anyone does a better job of structuring contracts than Ravens. The Ravens usually structure their contracts in a way that allows the player to play out the contract. The Ravens are up against the cap because they draft very well. The Eagles have been very active in the free agent market because they have not drafted well.

If the Ravens sign Rice to a long term contract his yearly average will be greater than the 7.7. I would rather them not push additional cap space into the out years although I believe they can carry over some cap space.

Yearly average has nothing to do with cap numbers.... Or have i mis understood what your trying to say here?
    Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I don't know that anyone does a better job of structuring contracts than Ravens. The Ravens usually structure their contracts in a way that allows the player to play out the contract. The Ravens are up against the cap because they draft very well. The Eagles have been very active in the free agent market because they have not drafted well.

If the Ravens sign Rice to a long term contract his yearly average will be greater than the 7.7. I would rather them not push additional cap space into the out years although I believe they can carry over some cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Yearly average has nothing to do with cap numbers.... Or have i mis understood what your trying to say here?
    I used yearly average for cap hit as we don't know what the deal structure would look like. Any deal Rice signs will have a yearly average of more than 8m. The only way to save cap space in the first year is to push that cap hit out to the out years. If he signed a 5 year 45m deal. The average cap hit would be 9m. If the Ravens reduced the cap hit to 5m in the first year the Ravens would have 40m worth of cap tied up in the remaining 4 years. I would rather them not free up space in this year and push it out.