Blog Entries

The Next Megatron???

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...idering-texas/

6'5", 225lbs, runs a 4.4 with a 43" vertical.

Pretty impressive for a kid coming out of high school.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: The Next Megatron???

It'll be interesting to see if he tries to select a more pass-happy system or if he goes to UT. I'm not sure if matters much, given the WRs out of schools like GA Tech are doing OK.

I know I'm dating myself here but guys like this used to play basketball, now they're WRs..

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Hate to put such a lofty expectation on the kid. He hasnt even taken a snap yet. He certainly has the physical tools but so did many others, like our own Tommy Streeter and I think we can agree theres a large gap between those two.

at 18ish and already 230lbs, he may actually grow into more of a TE by the times its all said and done. Ill hold off on my labels of him, but worth keeping an eye on.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Hate to put such a lofty expectation on the kid. He hasnt even taken a snap yet. He certainly has the physical tools but so did many others, like our own Tommy Streeter and I think we can agree theres a large gap between those two.

at 18ish and already 230lbs, he may actually grow into more of a TE by the times its all said and done. Ill hold off on my labels of him, but worth keeping an eye on.
    There is no way they would think about moving him to TE with that kind of speed, even if he is 230 odd lbs, there have been some pretty damn big dudes playing WR in the last few years, like Andre Johnson. Obviously it is possible, but coming out of high school running a 4.4 at that size, he would probably be waisted at TE.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    There is no way they would think about moving him to TE with that kind of speed, even if he is 230 odd lbs, there have been some pretty damn big dudes playing WR in the last few years, like Andre Johnson. Obviously it is possible, but coming out of high school running a 4.4 at that size, he would probably be waisted at TE.
    And if he keeps growing and getting bigger like the majority of players do in college? Now hes 6'-5"-6'-7" and instead of 230 hes 250 and instead of 4.4 hes now 4.5. That would almost be exactly what ed dickson and aaron hernandez and even jermichael finely are. Its not a knock to say he may grow out of the position and become a hybrid like those guys, but those guys arent megatron, even if they are effective. Your body type going into college and leaving college dont always match.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    And if he keeps growing and getting bigger like the majority of players do in college? Now hes 6'-5"-6'-7" and instead of 230 hes 250 and instead of 4.4 hes now 4.5. That would almost be exactly what ed dickson and aaron hernandez and even jermichael finely are. Its not a knock to say he may grow out of the position and become a hybrid like those guys, but those guys arent megatron, even if they are effective. Your body type going into college and leaving college dont always match.
    He could control his weight though, it's pretty easy to not put on that much weight with the right training. If he gets to 6'7, and ends up weighing around 250 lbs, then yeah I'd say TE is probably the way to go for him, but 6'5 and maybe even 6'6 at 225-240 lbs, and if he's still running a 4.4 or maybe even lower, then I can see NFL teams wanting him pretty badly at WR. (assuming he produces at college at WR, and doesn't end up being a raw prospect like Streeter was.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He could control his weight though, it's pretty easy to not put on that much weight with the right training. If he gets to 6'7, and ends up weighing around 250 lbs, then yeah I'd say TE is probably the way to go for him, but 6'5 and maybe even 6'6 at 225-240 lbs, and if he's still running a 4.4 or maybe even lower, then I can see NFL teams wanting him pretty badly at WR. (assuming he produces at college at WR, and doesn't end up being a raw prospect like Streeter was.)
    thats true and guys like trent Richardson have to monitor it heavily and can stay a certain weight and theres others that cant and make the switch. A lot of TE prospects start off as big WRs and get switched. thats all i was pointing out, its really early on and his body could make a change without him being able to help it. in no way am i saying hes destined to change at that size by any means, just that its a possibility.
    -JAB

How is it that we've come to comparing a kid who hasn't even seen the field at the college level to a guy that's one of the best players in the NFL at his position?

After long consideration over the Vegas line of "Is this kid the next Megatron," I've decided to bet heavily on the "No."

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    How is it that we've come to comparing a kid who hasn't even seen the field at the college level to a guy that's one of the best players in the NFL at his position?

After long consideration over the Vegas line of "Is this kid the next Megatron," I've decided to bet heavily on the "No."

- C -
    Such a negative Nancy PSU...

it was meant to be a light-hearted "wow" look at this kid. Incredible size/speed combo and he's barely 18. He's got the physical skills to develop into a pretty outstanding WR.

Pro's were already scouting Julio Jones and AJ Green when they were entering their freshman year at their respective colleges.

WR is arguably the hardest position to draft and I'd argue it's probably one of the most popular positions in the league.

A kid who is 18 with that size and able to move like that is going to get some serious notice.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I buy that, I just get generally tired with all the hype people tend to generate for athletes that have no business receiving it. We have literally seven to eight years before this guy can claim to be in the same breath as Calvin Johnson. And at Megatron's current pace, by that time we could be talking about a 33 year old receiver who has 15,000 receiving yards and 130 touchdowns (both good for top five all time as of right now).

Everyone is quick to proclaim kids "the next [insert megastar here]" because there's only reward for doing it. The person proclaiming it can then say in seven years "See! I was right!" if he turns out to be a stud. And if he doesn't, it's never brought up and no one remembers it. That, to me, deserves some skeptical sarcasm.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid