Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2012 Could be a Bumpy Ride for the Steelers

Why did Mike Tomlin hire offensive coordinator Todd Haley?

Haley is a disciple of Bill Walsh’s West Coast offense. He requires his quarterbacks to be precise in their drops, get the ball out quickly and make accurate throws to receivers sifting through heavy traffic. Think Kurt Warner!

This doesn’t play to Roethlisberger’s strengths and opponents will be all too happy to see Ben stay in the pocket and get the ball out of his hands. And if the new approach isn’t successful you have to wonder if Roethlisberger will push back and revert to his comfort zone. And that place called Heinz Field could be ready to blow?

LINK
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: 2012 Could be a Bumpy Ride for the Steelers

I'm not sure how married Haley is to the West Coast offense. He's really a Parcells guy and will changes his system to suit his talent. He certainly wasn't running the WCO in Dallas with Tony Romo at QB. He also didn't use it with Warner in Arizona. However as a WR coach with the Bears and the Jets he was part of systems that did use the WCO.

Just like Parcells and Belechik, Haley is going to adapt his system to his talent. Just based on what the Steelers have talked about with how they are going to use their running game this year you can see that it won't be a West Coast offense system.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm not sure how married Haley is to the West Coast offense. He's really a Parcells guy and will changes his system to suit his talent. He certainly wasn't running the WCO in Dallas with Tony Romo at QB. He also didn't use it with Warner in Arizona. However as a WR coach with the Bears and the Jets he was part of systems that did use the WCO.

Just like Parcells and Belechik, Haley is going to adapt his system to his talent. Just based on what the Steelers have talked about with how they are going to use their running game this year you can see that it won't be a West Coast offense system.
    Id agree with that, the friction with Roethlisberger is interesting though. Haley is kind of known as a dick and somewhat hard to work with. Hes apparently always worked with QBs with high accuracy, kind of interesting. I wouldnt say Roethlisberger is an exceptionally accurate QB amongst his other strengths.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I think the biggest issue is that Roethlisberger and Haley just don't seem to be on the same page.

Roethlisberger is obviously miffed about them letting Arians go and there have been a few articles/reporters talking about how they're just not doing that well figuring each other out.

Haley is an egotistical, asshole, crybaby control freak.

Roethlisberger is an egotistical, asshole, crybaby who likes to free lance and do his own thing out on the field.

Good luck.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Id agree with that, the friction with Roethlisberger is interesting though. Haley is kind of known as a dick and somewhat hard to work with. Hes apparently always worked with QBs with high accuracy, kind of interesting. I wouldnt say Roethlisberger is an exceptionally accurate QB amongst his other strengths.
    Ben's career completion percentage is 63.1% That's pretty accurate. Romo is about a percent higher and Warner was 2% higher. Flacco by comparison is 60.8%.

The personality issue in my opinion is the big hurdle. Haley really is a complete dick. He might even be the dickiest coach in the NFL. Players don't run through walls for Todd Haley. He seems to go out of his way to piss people off. Ben with his drama queen crap is not going to have an easy time with Haley.

Blog Entries

Keep in mind the market for OC's was very thin last year. The man upstairs wanted Arians gone, and was probably a year late in that decision, so they had to hire someone...

will be interesting to watch

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Keep in mind the market for OC's was very thin last year. The man upstairs wanted Arians gone, and was probably a year late in that decision, so they had to hire someone...

will be interesting to watch
    Why not go with a position coach? They didn't have to get an existing OC. Their head coach was only a coordinator for 1 season and he's got them to 2 Super Bowls and they won 1. Nothing was stopping them from finding an offensive position coach either from their team or someone elses.

Blog Entries

Ben's career completion percentage is 63.1% That's pretty accurate. Romo is about a percent higher and Warner was 2% higher. Flacco by comparison is 60.8%.

The personality issue in my opinion is the big hurdle. Haley really is a complete dick. He might even be the dickiest coach in the NFL. Players don't run through walls for Todd Haley. He seems to go out of his way to piss people off. Ben with his drama queen crap is not going to have an easy time with Haley.
    Take away lasts years season and Flacco is closer to 63% (61.9%) as well. we can debate that completion percentage doesnt necessarily prove the ball wasnt placed where it had to be, or just because the guy caught it doesnt mean it was accurately thrown. watching their games i wouldnt say Ben is at good at putting the ball where it needs to be all the time, certainly has had plays where he has but isnt as consistent as the others, even Flacco.

I agree with you that he certainly is one of hardest coaches to work for. Not wanting to play hard for a coach is a big part of what separates teams in a tight NFL. add to it their #1 WR isnt even there learning the new offense and you got some serious dysfunction.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I dont buy it. Every offseason there is talk about how the steelers are going to have a down year. Whether is the cap, injuries, suspensions, rapes, injuries, etc...but they always right the ship and put in a competitive season.

At this point, i dont know who is going to take the north this year. But i think 10 or 11 wins might be enough to win it. No way we have a couple 12-4 teams come out of the north this year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I dont buy it. Every offseason there is talk about how the steelers are going to have a down year. Whether is the cap, injuries, suspensions, rapes, injuries, etc...but they always right the ship and put in a competitive season.

At this point, i dont know who is going to take the north this year. But i think 10 or 11 wins might be enough to win it. No way we have a couple 12-4 teams come out of the north this year.

This. I'm more concerned about our offense than theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Exactly! As long as they have Roethlisberger and their front 7 on defense, they will be in contention. They made it to a super bowl a few years ago with what was supposed to be the worst offensive line in the NFL. I'd love to see them implode, but it doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Blog Entries

Why not go with a position coach? They didn't have to get an existing OC. Their head coach was only a coordinator for 1 season and he's got them to 2 Super Bowls and they won 1. Nothing was stopping them from finding an offensive position coach either from their team or someone elses.
    something tells me it wasn't Tomlin's decision but that's just a hunch

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!