Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2012 Could be a Bumpy Ride for the Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    something tells me it wasn't Tomlin's decision but that's just a hunch
    It wasn't.

There were a few articles speculating that Tomlin wasn't real happy about Bruce Arians being released to begin with.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    It wasn't.

There were a few articles speculating that Tomlin wasn't real happy about Bruce Arians being released to begin with.
    If both Ben and Tomlin were satisfied with Arians, the decision had to come from upstairs.

Then again, I am more concerned with how the Ravens offense will shape up this year.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Exactly! As long as they have Roethlisberger and their front 7 on defense, they will be in contention. They made it to a super bowl a few years ago with what was supposed to be the worst offensive line in the NFL. I'd love to see them implode, but it doubt it will happen anytime soon.
    I don't buy the talk either.
    IF what they brought in to help build a better line for Ben works, I see their offense being better.
    Ben's injury is healed and their defense will be right there again.
    No matter what plays they call, if it breaks down, Ben will use his feet to buy more time and if his line is better, that will give him even more time to find whoever gets open.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    something tells me it wasn't Tomlin's decision but that's just a hunch
    It's possible. Haley's father was their pro personnel guy for 20 years, I think he even played for them. Haley grew up with the Steelers. He's very close with the Rooneys. I remember his dad with the Jets. He had a very good reputation as a talent evaluator.

This is being overblown. The Steelers will be the Steelers and still a force to reckon with this year. They've got an entire traing camp and preseason to get on the same page. Let's revist this at midseason instead.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think the biggest issue is that Roethlisberger and Haley just don't seem to be on the same page.

Roethlisberger is obviously miffed about them letting Arians go and there have been a few articles/reporters talking about how they're just not doing that well figuring each other out.

Haley is an egotistical, asshole, crybaby control freak.

Roethlisberger is an egotistical, asshole, crybaby who likes to free lance and do his own thing out on the field.

Good luck.
    This +1

I still have yet to grasp the concept that your D-Coordinator comes in with a lousy game plan and loses the game against Denver but yet you fire the O-Coordinator?

Quote Originally Posted by edtude View Post
    This +1

I still have yet to grasp the concept that your D-Coordinator comes in with a lousy game plan and loses the game against Denver but yet you fire the O-Coordinator?
    That's funny. Just talking to coworkers a few minutes ago about the same thing.
    The Steelers scored enough points to win.
    And Ben was hurt.
    So the question before that game...would the Steelers shut them out?
    The Steelers should just have ran their normal number one defense and adjusted IF they needed to throughout the game. 8 and 9 in the box was just stupid and not adjusting all game was even dumber. Just saying...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    That's funny. Just talking to coworkers a few minutes ago about the same thing.
    The Steelers scored enough points to win.
    And Ben was hurt.
    So the question before that game...would the Steelers shut them out?
    The Steelers should just have ran their normal number one defense and adjusted IF they needed to throughout the game. 8 and 9 in the box was just stupid and not adjusting all game was even dumber. Just saying...
    especially since Romeo and the Chiefs had gone in there and shown the league exactly how to defend them, but they didn't use the deep safety. dumb dumb...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I think his strength is that he can do that. In fact, he is very successful in executing any range of offensive game plans. The 2011 Patriots game was an example. If Haley is smart, which I know he is, he will realize the potential. The thing about Roethlisberger is that he is a utility knife; he can power through a line for a first down, he can throw deep, and he can get the quick pass off, or he can shake a tackle to complete a pass. That is what makes the Steelers successful, Roethlisberger's versatility. For an OC to key on only one offensive approach with a QB like Roethlisberger is ridiculous. A good OC should design an offensive attack concept to the personnel, not force their own scheme on an incompatible offensive line up. Of course, he could totally botch things, and fans will be up in arms, but no matter what he does teams will have to respect what Roethlisberger brings. The Steelers won some games they could have lost otherwise. They should have lost a few too.

And despite the perception many of him, he does have a have a high accuracy percentage throwing from the pocket. In fact, I don't remember his percentage throwing from the pocket, but I know it is way above the 63 percent he is rated at due to the fact, as we know, he spends much of his time throwing on the run improvising plays behind a patchwork OL. He would do fine throwing from the pocket on a consistent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Why did Mike Tomlin hire offensive coordinator Todd Haley?

Haley is a disciple of Bill Walsh’s West Coast offense. He requires his quarterbacks to be precise in their drops, get the ball out quickly and make accurate throws to receivers sifting through heavy traffic. Think Kurt Warner!

This doesn’t play to Roethlisberger’s strengths and opponents will be all too happy to see Ben stay in the pocket and get the ball out of his hands. And if the new approach isn’t successful you have to wonder if Roethlisberger will push back and revert to his comfort zone. And that place called Heinz Field could be ready to blow?

LINK
    Last edited by Complex; 06-22-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Seems like every year or so, someone speculates, "Is this the year the Steelers fall off?" and it never happens. They're going to contend for the North like they always do. It'll be two dogfights in a span of what, 5 weeks with them this year? They're not laying down, they'll be just as dangerous, if not more so then last year. Not buying it at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Why not go with a position coach? They didn't have to get an existing OC. Their head coach was only a coordinator for 1 season and he's got them to 2 Super Bowls and they won 1. Nothing was stopping them from finding an offensive position coach either from their team or someone elses.
    Haley's got ties to Pitt. His daddy was there for a long time. Which is why I don't believe for one second that Haley was Tomlin's choice. I believe Haley was the Rooney's choice.

Actually, I'm more focused on whether the Ravens will have a bumpy ride this season? Our schedule is tough, and although I expect the offense to break out (like many of us have) the past few seasons, they never do! I'm not even concerned about the defense, even with Suggs gone.

Will we see more of the same? A restricted/ handicapped offense plagued by inconsistency/ drops from our top wideouts (Boldin,Smith, and Dickson) and, what about the offensive line? We replaced a pro bowl G in his prime with another aging G, and the guys we drafted may be a season or two from being quality starters?

No matter what the Steelers do, we all know they will be ready for us come November. The focus needs to be on our offense taking the next step and, getting better, not whether the Steelers are stepping back.
    Last edited by Stone; 06-23-2012 at 06:40 PM.