Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Could this be the answer for Sergio?

I was browsing around this AM & in a few odd turns ended up at the Popular Science Invention Awards site--& when I clicked on the "Where Are They Now?" link, I stumbled onto this.

A couple of quotes:
    [T]he SoundBite [is] a device designed for sufferers of single-sided deafness, which strikes about 50,000 people every year in the U.S.

The best remedy for single-sided deafness currently on the market is a bone-anchored hearing aid (BAHA), which, like the SoundBite, uses direct bone conduction to deliver sound to the cochlea ... but BAHA installation involves surgically implanting a titanium post into the base of the skull. ...

The SoundBite restores hearing just as effectively as a BAHA but requires no surgery. Instead it can be popped in and out of the mouth like a retainer. In clinical trials that wrapped up in February, patients typically reported that it restored from 80 to 100 percent of their hearing in the deaf ear and that they scarcely noticed they were wearing it.

[The inventor is] also investigating other applications for the technology, including wireless, water-safe MP3 players and stealth communication for intelligence personnel.
    And as it happens, the SoundBite
    received FDA clearance in early 2011 and launched commercially in October. Hundreds of patients are using the product right now.
    How hard would it be to build something like this into a football mouth protector? Not very, I'm guessing.

If the Wizard isn't looking into this for King Serg, IMHO he oughta be...

Blog Entries

Re: Could this be the answer for Sergio?

Good thread, you may be on to something here.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I was browsing around this AM & in a few odd turns ended up at the Popular Science Invention Awards site--& when I clicked on the "Where Are They Now?" link, I stumbled onto this.

A couple of quotes:And as it happens, the SoundBiteHow hard would it be to build something like this into a football mouth protector? Not very, I'm guessing.

Could it help him remember the playbook?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Could it help him remember the playbook?
    Wow, that's sooooo clever. You run out of grasshoppers to pull the legs off?

If something like this device can restore enough hearing in Kindle's bad ear, then we'll get a pretty definitive read on whether he can "remember the playbook", won't we--& then naysayers (& yeasayers) can either crow or eat crow.

Blog Entries

I would think theyre well aware of options, but just in case, you should send that information to the Ravens and/or Serg on Twitter. may even work with a mouth guard without modification.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I would think theyre well aware of options, but just in case, you should send that information to the Ravens and/or Serg on Twitter. may even work with a mouth guard without modification.
    It depends on what the level of his hearing damage occured. If it's central (brain damage) or a cranial nerve problem, no hearing aid is going to help. There was a report last year that he had balance issues, which would support the idea of cranial nerve damage.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...-remains-vague

I'm completely deaf in my right ear due to an art project involving q-tips gone awry when I was very young (read: q-tips + child's ear = little Kindle). I cannot ever remember being able to hear out of my right ear. With my friends I always have to stand to one side of them. I can barely hear people in bars.

I always thought I'd have to live with this because I didn't want to get surgery, but this just really, really made my day. Thank you.

Couple it with this for off the field use and he's a new man.

“Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Couple it with this for off the field use and he's a new man.

Rugby scrum hat lol

Wow, that's sooooo clever. You run out of grasshoppers to pull the legs off?

If something like this device can restore enough hearing in Kindle's bad ear, then we'll get a pretty definitive read on whether he can "remember the playbook", won't we--& then naysayers (& yeasayers) can either crow or eat crow.
    Kindle had a hard time with Mack Brown's defensive playbook, which was far less complex.

It's a legit critique.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Kindle had a hard time with Mack Brown's defensive playbook, which was far less complex.

It's a legit critique.
    I don't think anyone can argue that Kindle just isn't too bright (well, maybe one person will). Some people are clinging to the hope that he wasn't a wasted draft pick, but its time to realize that he's a bust and move on. Even without the injury, its doubtful that he'd ever make it in the NFL. Dexter Manley was functionally illiterate when he graduated from college, but even he could learn the defensive playbook.

A couple of quotes:And as it happens, the SoundBiteHow hard would it be to build something like this into a football mouth protector? Not very, I'm guessing.

Amazing.