Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: I would like to exercise my 2nd...

Fascinating thread, stuff here that is not possible this side of the pond
    It's possible to buy rifles and shotguns but you have to apply to the police superindendant, this may take weeks but more likely to take months. There is an interview too
    You have to show a need, for example you are a farmer with livestock or you are a member of a hunting club. A gun safe is required, that's fair enough

As for pistols, it's damn near impossible to get a licence for one.
    It was legally challenged using arguments from the International Olympic Committee for a pistol for target shooting but even that's been restricted.

Goes back to terrorism and gangs stealing legally owned guns. That's over now but the laws remain

Great thread

Great perspective, Irish.

I bet the notion of carrying a pistol is even more foreign, yet I was carrying one pretty much all day yesterday.

In Texas, if you take a 10 hour class, pass a state and federal background check, submit fingerprints and pass a shooting qualification course, you can get a license to carry a firearm concealed. Texas has one of the lowest violent crime rates per capita in the US, running counterintuitive to most of the thinking in Europe that more guns equals more crime.

Blog Entries

My friend is stationed in England and he told me that nobody can get a gun in England unless you're a special part of the police dept or government or something. Cops don't even carry over there.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Hah, I've never seen a pistol in real life.

I'd probably getting a shock walking around Baltimore and seeing police with guns! They are unarmed here, much the same in the UK.
    Some special units are armed of course but not the men and ladies on the street.

When you have such gun laws the law abiding citizens obey them but the criminals don't care, they still have them anyway.
    No leader wants to touch it though and so it will remain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    Hah, I've never seen a pistol in real life.

I'd probably getting a shock walking around Baltimore and seeing police with guns! They are unarmed here, much the same in the UK.
    Some special units are armed of course but not the men and ladies on the street.

When you have such gun laws the law abiding citizens obey them but the criminals don't care, they still have them anyway.
    No leader wants to touch it though and so it will remain
    Not to turn this into a political thread, but this is exactly why anyone claiming that the 2nd amendment gives way to gun crimes and whatnot is insane.

Criminals will get guns and use them regardless of what the laws are.

I've got a Steyr M40 that I am very happy with. The .40 S&W is a modern round which is a compromise between the accuracy of a 9mm and the stopping power of a .45. A little more recoil than the 9mm, rounds are a little more expensive. It is a great shooting very comfortable gun.

I used to have a Sig Sauer P239 .40 and I kick myself everyday that I sold it.

Solid, smooth weapon. Very accurate and a real pleasure to shoot.

Wicked, you may want to consider .40. As stated, it's a great compromise.

Blog Entries

I am considering a 40, but the cost of ammo is something that I'm considering.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I am considering a 40, but the cost of ammo is something that I'm considering.
    You will never beat the cost of 9mm ammo since it is used by pretty much every standing army in the world. Surplus 9mm is dirt cheap.

Blog Entries

Think I may go with the Beretta PX4 9mm since I'm familiar with Beretta handguns to begin with. It's a gun that I feel comfortable that my wife can handle as well.

So, when you go to these indoor range/shops do you pay to try out a gun? How does that work? Seems like you might be kind of hard pressed to convince the shop to just let you go shoot their weapons...just because...I don't know.

If you order online, how does that work? I'm assuming it's similar to most return policies...so if I got the Beretta and it had a 30-day return policy or something, I'd take it to a range, shoot it, and if it wasn't working properly or something I'd return it in exchange for something else/refund?

So, when you go to these indoor range/shops do you pay to try out a gun? How does that work? Seems like you might be kind of hard pressed to convince the shop to just let you go shoot their weapons...just because...I don't know.
    Most ranges have gun rentals. Call around and make sure they have the weapon you're interested in buying available to rent. I know you're in VA so you shouldn't have an issue finding one that carries a fare amount of Beretta products.

If you order online, how does that work? I'm assuming it's similar to most return policies...so if I got the Beretta and it had a 30-day return policy or something, I'd take it to a range, shoot it, and if it wasn't working properly or something I'd return it in exchange for something else/refund?
    The gun won't be delivered to your home. You'll have to find a Class III arms dealer who, for a fee, will conduct the transaction for you. There is a lot of paperwork involved in buying a gun online so your best bet is to find a gun shop that carries that particular model and buy it from them. Gun manufacturers don't take refunds. But reputable companies like Beretta have excellent customer service so if something breaks, it's covered via their warranty. Find a weapon you like before you buy it because you'll be stuck with it until it dies or you sell / trade it.

Blog Entries

Don't look on google for your guns and ammo.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/google-s...s-results.html