Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

I would like to exercise my 2nd...

I'm experienced with handguns, but I'm not really sure what kind to really look at purchasing. One problem I've had with shooting different full-sized handguns is they don't fit very comfortably in my hands. I've got big meaty palms and stubby fingers.

I don't want to drop a ton of money either, so I was just curious about some of your opinions on them. I'm not really into revolvers, but I would consider them.

It would just be for home protections and target shooting/fun.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: I would like to exercise my 2nd...

I was thinking about starting a thread just like this.... okay well this thread exactly.

I want something to shoot for fun, and something the wife can shoot too. I'll buy two if I have to, but I'd like to just get one for now. I am a giant compared to her so something like a S&W 380 ( I think is the gun) would work great for her but not for me. Any input would be great on a gun that would maybe fit her and me.

Wicked I'd probably just recommend a Glock. Relatively inexpensive, reliable decent size handle and space around the trigger for meaty fingers. Just my two cents.

Blog Entries

I'm in the same boat NC. My wife wants to learn to shoot as well, so I'd be looking for something that both she and I would enjoy.

I actually have a concealed carry permit...and no gun, haha.

I like Glock, but even they can be pretty expensive. I was trying to keep it under $500...maybe around $300-400.

I always recommend going to a range that rents guns if you're in the market. There are so many nuances from gun to gun that it's really best to test drive a few before flopping down $500+ on a firearm.

I am a Glock guy and recommend them as an introductory gun. It's a simple design (breaks down into 4 parts), will always go bang, moderately priced and will last a very long time. They come in various calibers and sizes so there is a Glock that will fit anyone. I have small hands so the Glock 19 Gen 4 is my primary weapon / carry weapon. If you have bigger hand and are looking for 9mm, than the Glock 17 would probably serve you well. Just keep in mind there is no external safety on a Glock. Other than the trigger safety, there is no secondary way to safe the weapon. Some people are put off by that so it's something you should consider. Kimber is also an excellent manufacturer, but the 1911 model they make (the best semi auto design ever, IMO) can be pricey. I'd stay away from S&W. Their customer service stinks so if anything happens to the gun, you're stuck with it unless you can find a gunsmith in MD. Sig Sauer is an excellent manufacturer, but they too can be pricey.

If this is for home protection, I have some advice ....

1. Everyone who lives in the house NEEDS to be familiar with the weapon. Just like any tool, unless you practice using it A LOT, you're going to stumble when you need it most.

2. If you have kids, gets yourself a good safe. I don't have kids yet, but I have a Barska biometric safe in my closet that can only be opened by my index finger print or my wife's. In Maryland, you can go to jail if it's discovered you're not securing your weapons when kids are around.

3. Practice! Shooting, like any other activity, requires constant practice. Never forget you may have to use this tool to take a life and if you don't do that well, it could be used against you. I tell folks do not buy a gun unless you're also willing (mentally and financially) to shoot at least once a month at the absolute minimum.

I have more but I have to get to my conference ....

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm in the same boat NC. My wife wants to learn to shoot as well, so I'd be looking for something that both she and I would enjoy.

I actually have a concealed carry permit...and no gun, haha.

I like Glock, but even they can be pretty expensive. I was trying to keep it under $500...maybe around $300-400.
    How in the world did you manage a permit in MD?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    How in the world did you manage a permit in MD?
    I don't live in Maryland right now.

I live in Arlington, VA and got the permit down in Florida when I was stationed at Pensacola. CC Permit in Florida has reciprocity in almost every state that offers CC Permits.

We are planning to move to MD in a year, so obviously my CC Permit will be void in MD...but I can still carry in VA. :)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't live in Maryland right now.

I live in Arlington, VA and got the permit down in Florida when I was stationed at Pensacola. CC Permit in Florida has reciprocity in almost every state that offers CC Permits.

We are planning to move to MD in a year, so obviously my CC Permit will be void in MD...but I can still carry in VA. :)
    Might want to download the Legal Heat app then.

Great resource for anyone who has a permit and travels from state to state.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Might want to download the Legal Heat app then.

Great resource for anyone who has a permit and travels from state to state.
    Never heard of it. I'll check it out!

Blog Entries

You should PM HK for some advice. That dude really knows his guns. I on the other hand am not a gun guy but I do love watching Top Shot

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

I've always been a rifle and shotgun man myself. Days of shooting as a young kid with my grandfather in Texas.

Blog Entries

Arguably the best gun you can buy. It ain't cheap and has a weird round but is fast and accurate. The FN Five-Seven.