Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39

Thread: Deonte Thompson

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,858
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Deonte Thompson



    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Victor Cruz was great in the preseason starting with his rookie year. He caught 3 touchdowns in 1 game! If he's going to be the next Cruz he's going to have to put up numbers like Cruz did.
    He's going to have to really make an impression.

    Cruz went from 0 to one of the top 10-15 WR's in a year.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #17

    Re: Deonte Thompson

    Quote Originally Posted by NJRaven View Post
    seeing some florida people calling him 'stone hands' since this news broke out about him in minis. sounds like a good fit! anyway, i'd rather them hang on to streeter because at least he fills a size need.
    The only thing I will say is that Florida's QB play has been atrocious when it comes to the passing game. Not sure that has been the best offense to showcase your talents if you are a wr. They transitioned from urbies spread option to CW's offense and the transition did not go well. I know he was 5 star high prospect coming out of high school.




  3. #18

    Re: Deonte Thompson

    Deonte Thompson Is Turning Heads

    4.23 speed cant be coached. Apparently he has decent hands and is running good enough routes to get open. Its promising sign but I remember Harper doing similar things in OTAs and it never translated. Id say Doss is safe on this roster. Thompson may push Streeter and Laquan to PS or another roster. I wont be surprised if somebody comes down with an injury to get another year. Next year well more than likely have more of an opportunity for these guys to make the roster with Boldin likely gone. This battle of players is a good sign and hate to say it, but brings up questions as to why we brought in Jones. we might have to cut a promising player of similar skillset, even if untested (streeter, Thompson, lesser extent williams). At some point were going to have to trust our younger players to step up.

    I still think Reed goes to IR, so my WRs are looking like Boldin Smith Jones Doss with probably only 1 of Williams/Thompson/Streeter, reason being a strong secondary of STs. If Reed makes the team i wont be upset, but if we lose Streeter and thompson to another team i wont be happy. Hes been showing signs of greatness as well but also showing his inexperience.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 06-22-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    -JAB




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,858
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Deonte Thompson

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Deonte Thompson Is Turning Heads

    4.23 speed cant be coached. Apparently he has decent hands and is running good enough routes to get open. Its promising sign but I remember Harper doing similar things in OTAs and it never translated. Id say Doss is safe on this roster. Thompson may push Streeter and Laquan to PS or another roster. I wont be surprised if somebody comes down with an injury to get another year. Next year well more than likely have more of an opportunity for these guys to make the roster with Boldin likely gone. This battle of players is a good sign and hate to say it, but brings up questions as to why we brought in Jones. we might have to cut a promising player of similar skillset, even if untested (streeter, Thompson, lesser extent williams). At some point were going to have to trust our younger players to step up.

    I still think Reed goes to IR, so my WRs are looking like Boldin Smith Jones Doss with probably only 1 of Williams/Thompson/Streeter, reason being a strong secondary of STs. If Reed makes the team i wont be upset, but if we lose Streeter and thompson to another team i wont be happy. Hes been showing signs of greatness as well but also showing his inexperience.
    I think Reed gets injury/waived.

    3 years in a row he's basically dealt with significant injuries. Hasn't contributed at WR (for whatever reason). Finally, the Ravens have at least 3 (4 including Webb) guys who can return kicks and punts.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #20

    Re: Deonte Thompson

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think Reed gets injury/waived.

    3 years in a row he's basically dealt with significant injuries. Hasn't contributed at WR (for whatever reason). Finally, the Ravens have at least 3 (4 including Webb) guys who can return kicks and punts.
    it just makes sense. Hes not going to be 100%. I dont know of a guy that came back and looked the same as he did pre-injury the year after. Hoping he makes a full recovery and counting on him to be 100% would be foolish imo.

    Looking at the secondary is interesting not to hijack the thread. They carried 6 Cbs 4 S and 6 Wrs... assuming we carry the same. Webb Williams Smith Gorrer Graham Jackson Brown C Thompson Reed considine Pollard Cook Boldin Smith Jones Doss Reed Williams D Thompson Streeter. I can easily see Streeter and Thompson both hopping Williams though. Take the top 16 what are you left with? Tough call for me because i dont want to lose any promising young players on either side of the ball but to me it makes more sense to lose a WR. Thats assuming we carry the same which maybe we dont.
    -JAB




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,858
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Deonte Thompson

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    it just makes sense. Hes not going to be 100%. I dont know of a guy that came back and looked the same as he did pre-injury the year after. Hoping he makes a full recovery and counting on him to be 100% would be foolish imo.

    Looking at the secondary is interesting not to hijack the thread. They carried 6 Cbs 4 S and 6 Wrs... assuming we carry the same. Webb Williams Smith Gorrer Graham Jackson Brown C Thompson Reed considine Pollard Cook Boldin Smith Jones Doss Reed Williams D Thompson Streeter. I can easily see Streeter and Thompson both hopping Williams though. Take the top 16 what are you left with? Tough call for me because i dont want to lose any promising young players on either side of the ball but to me it makes more sense to lose a WR. Thats assuming we carry the same which maybe we dont.
    I think Gorrer and Chykie are on the hot seat. Chykie could be a PS candidate, but they signed Graham for a reason and he's actually not a bad cornerback either. They obviously signed him for his ST's ability, but he had 3 INT's, 3 passes defensed, and 2 forced fumbles in limited action last year.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Deonte Thompson

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    ... they could force out Tommy Streeter.
    Noooooooo!!!!!





  8. #23

    Re: Deonte Thompson

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think Gorrer and Chykie are on the hot seat. Chykie could be a PS candidate, but they signed Graham for a reason and he's actually not a bad cornerback either. They obviously signed him for his ST's ability, but he had 3 INT's, 3 passes defensed, and 2 forced fumbles in limited action last year.
    id agree with that, i think Graham is a lock. whether they want him to play a swing DB/S position and cut considine and Cook instead of Brown/Gorrer would be interesting. They like players that play multiple positions for that very reason, saving roster space. I could see them looking big picture and trying to stash Streeter and Thompson and letting go of Brown and considine in order to do so. Itll be interesting what happens in TC, injury wise and what they bring to the table. Having too much talent is always a good problem to have but its hard to see it leave without ever giving it a chance also.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Noooooooo!!!!!

    haha, not much of a fan Shas?
    -JAB




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,177
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Deonte Thompson

    Originally Posted by wickedsolo
    ... they could force out Tommy Streeter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Noooooooo!!!!!

    Ramon Harewood (OT - 6th round draft choice in 2010) is still with the Ravens (in a manner of speaking). IMO Streeter has a better upside... Bc




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Deonte Thompson

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    haha, not much of a fan Shas?
    It's a little bit of an inside joke. A couple months ago I was on here predicting Streeter would likely end up on the practice squad. I was killed. You'd think I had suggested that Torrey Smith should get cut. It was politely explained to me that Streeter was way too talented to risk that kind of move and some other team would surely swoop in and grab him and give him a spot on their 53-man roster.

    My counter argument went like this...

    Learning curve. The NFL transition grinds up a lot of talented college receivers. It may be the most demanding position in football, along with playing QB, in terms of physical and mental demands. When scouts talk about route running being an issue, it's a much bigger topic than it sounds, which involves knowing how to read defenses and making instant adjustments, as much as it involves technique.

    The counter to this that I heard was that Streeter would be a redzone threat who only needed to use his height to be effective. The counter to that that I gave back was a couple of cases in point: Randy Hymes and Clarence Moore.

    So I'm not doubting that Streeter has talent. I'm just doubting that it will be well enough developed this year. The practice squad was made for guys like him. And I also think fans forget just how many of these potential-gem wide receivers litter NFL rosters. Teams are busy fantasizing about their own dark-horse WR candidates to bother poaching the Ravens' guy. There were 32 wide receivers drafted, 26 if them taken before Streeter. There were also 83 UDFA wide receivers signed by NFL teams, and I wouldn't rate their value much lower than a seventh round pick in most cases -- as evidenced by Deonte's showing.

    For Streeter to beat the odds -- and remember, the Ravens have only had one seventh round pick ever make the roster in their history, Anthony Allen last year -- he'd have to make a really big showing. If he does that, I'll be wrong. But if he doesn't blow up in the preseason, and the team want's to put him on the taxi squad, then other NFL teams won't have seen enough in the preseason to warrant using a roster spot on him. So I just don't see how poaching him off the practice squad will be a likely outcome.

    Roster spots / competition. The Ravens only carried five receivers most of the year (and usually only activated four). I think Streeter is on the wrong side of a numbers game, barring injury. We know that Torrey and Anquan are starters. They didn't give Jacoby all that money for nothing. He makes it. Of the remaining guys, I still believe they are going to Tandon a chance to compete. Now you're down to the fifth receiver on the roster. My point of view is that anybody who expects to fill a fifth, god forbid sixth, spot on the depth chart damn well be a good special teams contributor. Enter LaQuann. There's my five.

    I argued that Streeter is not likely to end up being a special teams contributor based on his physical attributes and college career. I was told that this is too big an assumption on my part. But we're going on gut instinct here regardless, without the benefit of training camp yet, so I'll stick with my gut. The likelihood, to me, is that a third tight end, or extra DB -- Harbaugh loves extra DBs, and has said as much -- is more likely to take one of the last couple of roster spots when final cuts are announced, rather than a sixth WR who doesn't play special teams.

    Plus, I'm still looking at David Reed likely being the next-most valuable guy, realizing he'll likely be on the PUP list to start the season. They'll be more likely to carry five WRs, knowing he'll be ready to come back and take a spot later in the year.

    And yes, I do think that Reed is still thought of as a valuable asset despite his very obvious blunders, and the many folks here who have already written him off. The chances of needing a return guy later in the year are high, IMHO. If the team was ready to write him off, he would have already gotten an injury settlement.




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Deonte Thompson

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Streeter has a better upside... Bc
    I can't say which player has more upside. I am still hopeful about Harewood.

    Regardless. I'm fine saying that Streeter has a ton of upside. But I will counter by saying that he has very little now-side to offer, and therefore you put him on the practice squad, which is exactly where upside players are supposed to develop.

    I think I've already addressed this question of whether is it "too risky" to try and put him on the practice squad.




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Deonte Thompson

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Originally Posted by wickedsolo
    ... they could force out Tommy Streeter.



    Ramon Harewood (OT - 6th round draft choice in 2010) is still with the Ravens (in a manner of speaking). IMO Streeter has a better upside... Bc
    And hey, we've already established that you rank Harewood pretty low -- you won the argument that Justin Boren has a better chance of making the team. You can't keep going back to Harewood's ineptitude to make the case about how much better some other guy is. After a while, it only proves that Harewood stinks.




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,308

    Re: Deonte Thompson

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    it just makes sense. Hes not going to be 100%. I dont know of a guy that came back and looked the same as he did pre-injury the year after. Hoping he makes a full recovery and counting on him to be 100% would be foolish imo.

    Looking at the secondary is interesting not to hijack the thread. They carried 6 Cbs 4 S and 6 Wrs... assuming we carry the same. Webb Williams Smith Gorrer Graham Jackson Brown C Thompson Reed considine Pollard Cook Boldin Smith Jones Doss Reed Williams D Thompson Streeter. I can easily see Streeter and Thompson both hopping Williams though. Take the top 16 what are you left with? Tough call for me because i dont want to lose any promising young players on either side of the ball but to me it makes more sense to lose a WR. Thats assuming we carry the same which maybe we dont.
    I can't really see Streeter and Thompson taking Laquan's spot. He already has a year under Cam's system and some chemistry with Flacco. On the other hand, as Wicked brought up, Reed could easily lose his spot. An injury settlement would be the best option. It wasn't like he showed much on the field besides being an extremely fragile KR who had one good season.

    IMHO, I can see our WR core as follows:

    Smith, Boldin, Jones, Williams, Doss, Thompson/Streeter

    Between Thompson or Streeter, whoever gets a hangnail first will be placed on the IR (aka redshirt season). I'd be willing to go with Streeter b/c he is a little too raw.




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,308

    Re: Deonte Thompson

    Great post about Streeter Shas. Although, I have the biggest feeling that if we were to put Streeter on the PS, Tampa or Miami would snatch him. My reasoning isn't just b/c he went to the U, but also that Tampa has given guys ridiculous contracts to sign away guys from other PS's (Dezmon Briscoe). Also, I could see Streeter being a guy Schiano would want due to his work ethic, run blocking ability, and mere talent. As for Miami, they really have nothing at receiver so it was just some speculation.




  15. #30

    Re: Deonte Thompson

    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    It's a little bit of an inside joke. A couple months ago I was on here predicting Streeter would likely end up on the practice squad. I was killed. You'd think I had suggested that Torrey Smith should get cut. It was politely explained to me that Streeter was way too talented to risk that kind of move and some other team would surely swoop in and grab him and give him a spot on their 53-man roster.

    My counter argument went like this...

    Learning curve. The NFL transition grinds up a lot of talented college receivers. It may be the most demanding position in football, along with playing QB, in terms of physical and mental demands. When scouts talk about route running being an issue, it's a much bigger topic than it sounds, which involves knowing how to read defenses and making instant adjustments, as much as it involves technique.

    The counter to this that I heard was that Streeter would be a redzone threat who only needed to use his height to be effective. The counter to that that I gave back was a couple of cases in point: Randy Hymes and Clarence Moore.

    So I'm not doubting that Streeter has talent. I'm just doubting that it will be well enough developed this year. The practice squad was made for guys like him. And I also think fans forget just how many of these potential-gem wide receivers litter NFL rosters. Teams are busy fantasizing about their own dark-horse WR candidates to bother poaching the Ravens' guy. There were 32 wide receivers drafted, 26 if them taken before Streeter. There were also 83 UDFA wide receivers signed by NFL teams, and I wouldn't rate their value much lower than a seventh round pick in most cases -- as evidenced by Deonte's showing.

    For Streeter to beat the odds -- and remember, the Ravens have only had one seventh round pick ever make the roster in their history, Anthony Allen last year -- he'd have to make a really big showing. If he does that, I'll be wrong. But if he doesn't blow up in the preseason, and the team want's to put him on the taxi squad, then other NFL teams won't have seen enough in the preseason to warrant using a roster spot on him. So I just don't see how poaching him off the practice squad will be a likely outcome.

    Roster spots / competition. The Ravens only carried five receivers most of the year (and usually only activated four). I think Streeter is on the wrong side of a numbers game, barring injury. We know that Torrey and Anquan are starters. They didn't give Jacoby all that money for nothing. He makes it. Of the remaining guys, I still believe they are going to Tandon a chance to compete. Now you're down to the fifth receiver on the roster. My point of view is that anybody who expects to fill a fifth, god forbid sixth, spot on the depth chart damn well be a good special teams contributor. Enter LaQuann. There's my five.

    I argued that Streeter is not likely to end up being a special teams contributor based on his physical attributes and college career. I was told that this is too big an assumption on my part. But we're going on gut instinct here regardless, without the benefit of training camp yet, so I'll stick with my gut. The likelihood, to me, is that a third tight end, or extra DB -- Harbaugh loves extra DBs, and has said as much -- is more likely to take one of the last couple of roster spots when final cuts are announced, rather than a sixth WR who doesn't play special teams.

    Plus, I'm still looking at David Reed likely being the next-most valuable guy, realizing he'll likely be on the PUP list to start the season. They'll be more likely to carry five WRs, knowing he'll be ready to come back and take a spot later in the year.

    And yes, I do think that Reed is still thought of as a valuable asset despite his very obvious blunders, and the many folks here who have already written him off. The chances of needing a return guy later in the year are high, IMHO. If the team was ready to write him off, he would have already gotten an injury settlement.
    I see. Cant say i disagree with you much (although Boldin Smith Evans Doss Reed Williams, means they carried 6 not 5 last year, 2 rosters spots vs 1 is a world of difference for him and still could be). even though id hate the thought of losing a guy with such high potential. If hes not good enough to make the roster hes not good enough, but if hes a fringe player id hope his upside has some value, much like McAdoos did so they keep him over a similar talent and stash him for a year, at least. Without TC its hard to come to an opinion, because i doubt many of us though Thompson would be in the argument at this point either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    I can't really see Streeter and Thompson taking Laquan's spot. He already has a year under Cam's system and some chemistry with Flacco. On the other hand, as Wicked brought up, Reed could easily lose his spot. An injury settlement would be the best option. It wasn't like he showed much on the field besides being an extremely fragile KR who had one good season.

    IMHO, I can see our WR core as follows:

    Smith, Boldin, Jones, Williams, Doss, Thompson/Streeter

    Between Thompson or Streeter, whoever gets a hangnail first will be placed on the IR (aka redshirt season). I'd be willing to go with Streeter b/c he is a little too raw.
    I think thats a fair assessment at the moment. Thompson and streeter are on pretty equal ground. Williams really showed his worth on STs, and thats where his value is, although he is improving at WR. Hes still not much of a WR yet in all honesty so I could see him getting beat out that way if we carry more DBs to be Gunners/returners, which is possible with Jones (wr) Graham Considine and Jackson being brought on. We might not value a low prospect WR as a ST player over another with higher WR potential. Who knows though?
    -JAB




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland