Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49
  1. #31

    Re: Man, Goodell and the NFL really botched this Bounty Scandal...



    Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    If there was no evidence why did the coaches take their punishment and apologize? Why did the Saints pay a hefty find and apologize? Several of the reporters said that the evidence against the players was compelling. They interviewed all of the coaches. There were corroborating reports on which players were involved. My guess on why the NFL did not want to release all of the evidence in public was to prevent the backlash from players and fans against the coaches and other people who provided the information.

    This is not a court of law and can't be compared to a court of law. This is an ethics violation in an employment situation. There is a code of conduct in which they agreed to in their contract. People in a work environment are put on administrative leave or suspended without pay for behavior that is inappropriate or unethical. It does not mean that they broke any laws or that it needs to be proven in such a manner. It could be as simple as multiple people confirming with HR or legal.
    Though the NFL’s in-house appeal process doesn’t amount to a full-blown legal proceeding, the players accused of participating in the Saints’ bounty program could escape responsibility on the same basis that plenty of criminal defendants do.
    well thats the issue, im comparing it to a court of law, because the article is. If my work wanted to suspend my pay for a year, id like to have the evidence given to me. If this article is right and they cant submit the evidence now than i dont feel its right to suspend them, even if it is unjust. If there is no evidence of funds being transferred, no "crime" was commited, even if the coaches and owners say there was one.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    To claim there is no evidence means you've simply not been paying close attention or you're willfully ignoring what's out there.

    You have admissions / apologies from Loomis, Peyton and Williams. There is also the leaked ledgers and other documents. Then you have Hargrove on tape, after hearing Favre was out of the game, telling his teammates to "pay me my money".

    That alone would convict in a court of law (not that this is the standard in this case). Yet, there are still numerous other items of evidence we have not see yet, including testimony from players who cooperated with the investigation.

    What did or did not happen during any one particular game is not the least bit relevant. You don't need the intended outcome to prove a conspiracy and that's what this case is all about.
    Im not ignoring, im going by this article saying its no longer admissible. it doesnt matter if we KNOW it or not, its not or could not be part of this process now. so eventhough they did admit it, and they may have more information than weve even seen, damning evidence, if its not admissable, its not existent. If they had audio, video, money exchanges from bank accounts, signatures, and eye witnesses, thats great, good for them, but they just blew it and its not admissable its as if they never did in the first place.

    Ill admit im not 100% sure where this appeal lies within the rules of CBAs, but going by the article if you can get out of it possibly by the same way as a criminal trial mistrial, than it seems comparing it to a criminal trial would be alright at this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    If the Saints had roughed Flacco three times (instead of just the one time when they kneed him on the ground) and damaged his ankle, and we later found out that Vilma had put up $10k for a bounty, all the hypocrites on this board would want to know why Vilma and the others weren't being summarily executed.

    The Saints were, without question, the dirtiest team in the NFL for several years, and the bounties contributed to that behavior. I have no sympathy for any of them.
    the hit on Flacco was nothing. seriously? smith laid off and patted him on the back and people act like he was out there trying to rip his head off. Its pretty obvious to me he could have hit him late and full on but tried to lay off. If our OL played as poorly as the did in Minnesota, wed be screaming about Oher and McKinnie, not bounties. Flacco has been hit with worse that wasnt called by team that apparently didnt have bounties. calling that a dirty play and evidence of the saints wrong doing is ignoring any other game as evidence to the contrary.

    I dont get how you can have two 200+lb men running into each other at full speed the exact same way, one is dirty and malicious because he got paid by players but the other isnt because he got paid by the owners. Its a violent game that we all are entertained by. this had very little to no effect on what we saw on the field. the issue is that the exchange of money by players is illegal, which nothing in the media has proved "without a doubt". if they have a smoking gun, i hope it was submitted before the deadline and justice is served.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 06-21-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    -JAB




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,512
    If there is indeed a poison pill provision and the union felt it was violated, you'd be hearing about it other than Florio speculating about it.

    Not a peep from the NFLPA or Vilma et all.

    This tells me nothing has been violated. More than likely both parties agreed to moving the meeting time.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,356
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Man, Goodell and the NFL really botched this Bounty Scandal...

    Doesn't the excerpt from the CBA specifically say, "three calendar days?". If that is true, they did not submit the evidence late. The NFLPA just needs to be reminded of what the true definition for three calendar days is.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,040
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Man, Goodell and the NFL really botched this Bounty Scandal...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    To claim there is no evidence means you've simply not been paying close attention or you're willfully ignoring what's out there.

    You have admissions / apologies from Loomis, Peyton and Williams. There is also the leaked ledgers and other documents. Then you have Hargrove on tape, after hearing Favre was out of the game, telling his teammates to "pay me my money".

    That alone would convict in a court of law (not that this is the standard in this case). Yet, there are still numerous other items of evidence we have not see yet, including testimony from players who cooperated with the investigation.

    What did or did not happen during any one particular game is not the least bit relevant. You don't need the intended outcome to prove a conspiracy and that's what this case is all about.
    Unless they have it on video there are people who just won't, or choose not to, believe it.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  5. #35

    Re: Man, Goodell and the NFL really botched this Bounty Scandal...

    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post

    The Saints were, without question, the dirtiest team in the NFL for several years, and the bounties contributed to that behavior. I have no sympathy for any of them.
    Based on what measure? Were they pnealized a lot more than other teams during the 'bounty era'? Were they fined more during the 'bounty era'. That may even be a better measure since the NFL can and does look back at film.

    Perhaps you did not see the Giants target Kyle Williams in the NFC Championship game. That seems to be a pretty good example of dirty.




  6. #36

    Re: Man, Goodell and the NFL really botched this Bounty Scandal...

    Just to stir the pot:

    How would you rank from 0-10 the following situations in terms of punishments warranted, where 0 is no punishment and 10 is max:

    A) System (outside of cap) that provided money rewards for TDs

    B) System (outside of cap) that provided money rewards for hard hits

    C) System (outside of cap) that provided money rewards for non-flagged hits that resulted in opponent leaving field for 1+ plays

    D) System (outside of cap) that provided money rewards for any action that resulted in opponent leaving field for 1+ plays

    E) Pre-game team presentations that included the words: bounty, target, hunt, trophy, all corresponding to specific opponents (i.e. opponent headshots with targets on them, etc) without any monetary rewards being offered

    F) Pre-game team presentations that included lessons on how to get away with cheap shots or illegal conduct (how to eye gouge, step on hands or feet, punch under the pile or on line, etc)

    G) Pre-game speeches that include language such as "kill", "destroy", "knock out", "hurt", "pain", "punish" the opponent




  7. #37

    Re: Man, Goodell and the NFL really botched this Bounty Scandal...

    "in court, its not what you know, its what you can prove."

    i do believe there was a bounty by what the media has told us and that the punishment is proper, if they can prove it. i dont think what we saw on the field was anything more or less than we see any other week.

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Just to stir the pot:

    How would you rank from 0-10 the following situations in terms of punishments warranted, where 0 is no punishment and 10 is max:

    A) System (outside of cap) that provided money rewards for TDs 0

    B) System (outside of cap) that provided money rewards for hard hits 3, but this is how things start that get out of hand

    C) System (outside of cap) that provided money rewards for non-flagged hits that resulted in opponent leaving field for 1+ plays 5, the escalation

    D) System (outside of cap) that provided money rewards for any action that resulted in opponent leaving field for 1+ plays 10, the end result

    E) Pre-game team presentations that included the words: bounty, target, hunt, trophy, all corresponding to specific opponents (i.e. headshots with targets on them etc, and/or Boba Fett, lol) without any monetary rewards being offered 10

    F) Pre-game team presentations that included lessons on how to get away with cheap shots or illegal conduct (how to eye gouge, step on hands, feet, punch under the pile or on line, etc) 10

    G) Pre-game speeches that include language such as "kill", "destroy", "knock out", "hurt", "pain", "punish" the opponent 2, pregame speaches are intended to fire you up, not to be taken literally, probably frowned upon though
    I see what you intended with this and agree. the coaches and/or ownership had just as much or more to do with this, imo. some ask why did they agree and admit to it so eagerly... because maybe their punishment (outside Williams) was less than they deserved or what they felt theyd receive.

    The thing thats not really being reported, is the league told the owner and the owner told the coaches that if theres a bounty program going on to stop it, but was it ever relayed to the players? I believe williams and peyton both admitted they didnt stop it. To me that means they continued the bounty program and the players, who were violating by being involved, werent given the same notice to stop without penalty as the owners and coaches of the rest of the league were, in which case they would have more reason to be upset.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 06-21-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    -JAB




  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Man, Goodell and the NFL really botched this Bounty Scandal...

    I think what these players are trying to say (I may be wrong here) is that they want to see evidence that specifically shows them doing something over and beyond what the other defensive players were doing. Why were they singled out? that's what they're asking. I suspect they know the answer but this is how I read it.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  9. #39

    Re: Man, Goodell and the NFL really botched this Bounty Scandal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Just to stir the pot:

    How would you rank from 0-10 the following situations in terms of punishments warranted, where 0 is no punishment and 10 is max:

    A) System (outside of cap) that provided money rewards for TDs

    B) System (outside of cap) that provided money rewards for hard hits

    C) System (outside of cap) that provided money rewards for non-flagged hits that resulted in opponent leaving field for 1+ plays

    D) System (outside of cap) that provided money rewards for any action that resulted in opponent leaving field for 1+ plays

    E) Pre-game team presentations that included the words: bounty, target, hunt, trophy, all corresponding to specific opponents (i.e. opponent headshots with targets on them, etc) without any monetary rewards being offered

    F) Pre-game team presentations that included lessons on how to get away with cheap shots or illegal conduct (how to eye gouge, step on hands or feet, punch under the pile or on line, etc)

    G) Pre-game speeches that include language such as "kill", "destroy", "knock out", "hurt", "pain", "punish" the opponent
    A-D. 1. (assuming that D did not involve any illegal hits)
    E. 5. (this is assuming they are targeting individuals with injuries)
    F. 10
    G. 0




  10. #40

    Re: Man, Goodell and the NFL really botched this Bounty Scandal...

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    well thats the issue, im comparing it to a court of law, because the article is. If my work wanted to suspend my pay for a year, id like to have the evidence given to me. If this article is right and they cant submit the evidence now than i dont feel its right to suspend them, even if it is unjust. If there is no evidence of funds being transferred, no "crime" was commited, even if the coaches and owners say there was one.
    I am tired of the media comparing this to a court of law. If you fired or put on administrative leave and you asked for evidence that you violated ethics or code of conduct rules and they said that 3 people confirmed your behavior would you fight it? I read quotes from the press that saw the evidence has saying it was compelling. It is basically going to be multiple sources corroborating the story. That is all you need in a situation like this. You are not going to get bank transfer or a video tape. They are not being suspended for doing something illegal they are being suspended for conduct detrimental to the league. The reason vilma is only suing for defamation is because the players have no case under the CBA to sue for anything else. Its the same reason Ben was suspended because of his behavior in GA. He was not convicted of anything. His behavior was a black eye for the league as is the bounty situation. There was no hard evidence against Ben but rather eye witness accounts of people at a bar. I would say that the evidence the league collected in bounty gate is far superior than that collected from a bunch of drunk bar patrons. I would also say the conduct of the whole organization is far more detrimental to the league which is the reason for the stiff penalties. If a Cam Newton received a career ending injury in a game this year for it to later be revealed the team had a bounty on him the NFL would be in a much bigger mess.




  11. #41

    Re: Man, Goodell and the NFL really botched this Bounty Scandal...

    Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I am tired of the media comparing this to a court of law. If you fired or put on administrative leave and you asked for evidence that you violated ethics or code of conduct rules and they said that 3 people confirmed your behavior would you fight it? I read quotes from the press that saw the evidence has saying it was compelling. It is basically going to be multiple sources corroborating the story. That is all you need in a situation like this. You are not going to get bank transfer or a video tape. They are not being suspended for doing something illegal they are being suspended for conduct detrimental to the league. The reason vilma is only suing for defamation is because the players have no case under the CBA to sue for anything else. Its the same reason Ben was suspended because of his behavior in GA. He was not convicted of anything. His behavior was a black eye for the league as is the bounty situation. There was no hard evidence against Ben but rather eye witness accounts of people at a bar. I would say that the evidence the league collected in bounty gate is far superior than that collected from a bunch of drunk bar patrons. I would also say the conduct of the whole organization is far more detrimental to the league which is the reason for the stiff penalties. If a Cam Newton received a career ending injury in a game this year for it to later be revealed the team had a bounty on him the NFL would be in a much bigger mess.
    i have a friend whos wife was fired for doing things against policy at work. There was no evidence but they said they had 3 witnesses. It never happened complete fabrication and the 3 people were not only co-workers but close friends of the boss and didnt get along well with the wife and did so to protect their own jobs. Basically where she worked needed to downsize and instead of laying off they needed to find "just cause". If those same 3 people also went public and told the local media that this and that went down and everyone took it for fact, youd think you had evidence of it even though it never happened. Thats a real life scenario of the same situation. Is that justice? for somebody to lose their job and pay because somebody else decided to protect themselves?

    so to answer your question with that example, if i dont feel i did anything wrong and they had 3 people saying i did something i didnt, I would most definitely sue. We dont know that Vilma did anything wrong here honestly. We only know what the media has told us that he "offered 10k to take out favre", which could be heresay made up by collaborators trying to get a deal to save themselves but people are using it as proof that he did without a doubt. Its obvious hes guilty in the court of public opinion, which is what Goodell, is really going by here, but that doesnt necessarily mean he actually did it. I said myself, going off what ive seen & heard, i feel he did do it, but its not been proven to me without a doubt, and bank statements or audio would certainly do that. How many murders have been convicted without a doubt just to get DNA testing and find out they werent? a little different situation and maybe in this scenario there is no "dna testing" so to speak that proves without a doubt. imo, that makes it a little harsh to penalize them as much as he has, even though i feel if it was proven it was just.
    -JAB




  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: Man, Goodell and the NFL really botched this Bounty Scandal...

    its not "without a doubt" its "beyond reasonable doubt"... well it is here anyway, and theres a huge difference between the two
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    i have a friend whos wife was fired for doing things against policy at work. There was no evidence but they said they had 3 witnesses. It never happened complete fabrication and the 3 people were not only co-workers but close friends of the boss and didnt get along well with the wife and did so to protect their own jobs. Basically where she worked needed to downsize and instead of laying off they needed to find "just cause". If those same 3 people also went public and told the local media that this and that went down and everyone took it for fact, youd think you had evidence of it even though it never happened. Thats a real life scenario of the same situation. Is that justice? for somebody to lose their job and pay because somebody else decided to protect themselves?

    so to answer your question with that example, if i dont feel i did anything wrong and they had 3 people saying i did something i didnt, I would most definitely sue. We dont know that Vilma did anything wrong here honestly. We only know what the media has told us that he "offered 10k to take out favre", which could be heresay made up by collaborators trying to get a deal to save themselves but people are using it as proof that he did without a doubt. Its obvious hes guilty in the court of public opinion, which is what Goodell, is really going by here, but that doesnt necessarily mean he actually did it. I said myself, going off what ive seen & heard, i feel he did do it, but its not been proven to me without a doubt, and bank statements or audio would certainly do that. How many murders have been convicted without a doubt just to get DNA testing and find out they werent? a little different situation and maybe in this scenario there is no "dna testing" so to speak that proves without a doubt. imo, that makes it a little harsh to penalize them as much as he has, even though i feel if it was proven it was just.




  13. #43

    Re: Man, Goodell and the NFL really botched this Bounty Scandal...

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    its not "without a doubt" its "beyond reasonable doubt"... well it is here anyway, and theres a huge difference between the two
    Youre right but in this case i think it is reasonable. The only reason we know vilma is in this is because of one collaborating witness said so. The coaches have admitted it toom place but not who was involved to my recollection. I dont trust a guy facing similar charges to be honest when lying gets him a better deal. Its the same way with rico cases. They dont just take the mobsters word for it because his character would be questioned and his credability disreguarded immediately. They use them for info on who to wire tap, where to raid, or to get audio or other hard evidence themselves. Its just my opinion that id want mor concrete evidence besides somebody saying so. People lie, thats one of the first universal truths we learn.
    -JAB




  14. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,512
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Unless they have it on video there are people who just won't, or choose not to, believe it.
    Oh how right you are.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  15. #45

    Re: Man, Goodell and the NFL really botched this Bounty Scandal...

    Thanks for the link, wickedsolo.

    I really like Florio, as I've said several times recently. The things that interest him are often the same things that interest me.

    I think this is a newsworthy development. He may make it seem a *little* more credible than it is, but he isn't predicting what will happen or saying the commissioner's office will lose. He's pointing out an issue and why it's important, that's all.

    Without wasting my time getting knee deep in some of the foolishness of this thread, (a) this is not a court of law, nor is it your brother's friend's wife's dad's job, no offense, and (b) you're not *entitled* to see all the evidence, and if you want to know why not, see (a), above. Considering investigators plundered the Saints' computer networks as part of their investigation, I am completely confident in telling you guys there is a mountain of stuff recovered by investigators that none of us has seen.

    I disagree with those posters who said, in one way or another, this was a witch hunt or there is a double standard among the fans.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland