Blog Entries

Secret Superstar, Pernell McPhee

I am a big fan of "pro football focus", I know it may not be everyones cup of tea, but IMO they are one of the best NFL analyst websites out there. Kind of wish they worked on the college game too.

Interesting article they have been doing for every team is "secret superstar", where they highlight players not so well known outside of their city. For us they picked McPhee as our secret superstar for 2012, and bought up some very interesting and encouraging statistics on him.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...timore-ravens/

Blog Entries

Re: Secret Superstar, Pernell McPhee

Great stuff, thanks for posting. Like it states, need more footage to get a better analysis of what he can do but the first year showed a lot of reasons to feel great about his production; especially this year.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Great stuff, thanks for posting. Like it states, need more footage to get a better analysis of what he can do but the first year showed a lot of reasons to feel great about his production; especially this year.
    I just hope he can become our next Geno Atkins who was a 4th round pick. They measure up quite well, I think Pernell just needs to bulk up a little, maybe get to around 290 lbs.

this is a good read. pretty in depth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I just hope he can become our next Geno Atkins who was a 4th round pick. They measure up quite well, I think Pernell just needs to bulk up a little, maybe get to around 290 lbs.
    I'd be afraid he would lose some burst if he bulked up anymore.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He was pretty awesome last year. I wouldn't fool around with his weight. You don't fix something that ain't broke.

I think for him to be a 3-4 DE he would have to bulk up a little, not a lot. He wont have to get to the size of Redding or Pryce just around 290 so he can rush up the middle which is needed of a 3-4 DE.

I do believe he will be our starter at DE.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    I think for him to be a 3-4 DE he would have to bulk up a little, not a lot. He wont have to get to the size of Redding or Pryce just around 290 so he can rush up the middle which is needed of a 3-4 DE.

I do believe he will be our starter at DE.
    Brett Keisel played the 5-technique DE position in Pittsburgh's 3-4 and he's around 285lbs. Tim Jamison down in Houston did a nice job last year as a rotational 5-tech guy and he's about 275lbs. A lot of being a DE in a 3-4 is technique than size. The Packers are a good example of this. They had a lot of size on their DL last year, but those guys just weren't very good. Same with KC (Jackson is 295lbs and Dorsey is 290lbs or so).

McPhee is a great fit for the Ravens' sub-sets, which they run out of a lot.

I don't think he has to necessarily be a true "DE" in the base 3-4 set ups when you have Art Jones and now Ryan McBean.

He's around 280lbs right now.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Great link and info. Thanks, man.

I agree about not bulking him up. While he started out hot, there was no pass rush in
    the POs after Ngata was injured and Cody ran out of gas. Cody has since slimmed down.

Of course we need McPhee to pick up the slack from Suggs and with Upshaw contributing of course, and dare I say Kruger the Beast?

10. Re: Secret Superstar, Pernell McPhee

Ha, that's my article! Pretty cool to see it getting discussed on a forum I've used for the last 6+ years (I think). Thanks guys!
    UKRavenGordon's Gametrips

2009 v Cleveland W
    2010 @ New York Jets W
    2011 (January 2012) @ New England AFCCG L

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenGordon View Post
    Ha, that's my article! Pretty cool to see it getting discussed on a forum I've used for the last 6+ years (I think). Thanks guys!
    It was an awesome article too man! Thanks for providing us with this information.