Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Signed Guard Bobbie Williams To A Two Year Deal

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jamison's classification of this move as "desperate".
    I don't see why they are desperate, we are in better shape than a lot of offensive lines out there before we even signed Williams.

Let's see what -- if anything -- this guys has left, before restructuring the line. I remember the current insurance salesmen we signed for the O line last pre-season . . .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I dont know man...hes pretty old coming of injury...50/50 he is still there in sept, IMO.
    I agree. I like Williams but he's going to have to earn a spot on this roster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think Deonte Thompson may make the squad. Nigel Carr may as well.
    Yeah, I've been hearing great things about both those guys. Especially Thompson. Flacco has reportedly taken an interest in him.

Cool Re: Signed Guard Bobbie Williams To A Two Year Deal

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think Deonte Thompson may make the squad. Nigel Carr may as well.
    Wicked,

i've heard you and others say that these two guys are looking pretty good. Could you fill us in on info on the two of them (size, weight, speed, college record, skills, weaknesses, etc.).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    Wicked,

i've heard you and others say that these two guys are looking pretty good. Could you fill us in on info on the two of them (size, weight, speed, college record, skills, weaknesses, etc.).
    Deonte Thompson is said to be a burner at 6'0 and 200 lbs. He was a top recruit out of high school, but never really done much in the SEC for the Gators, hence why he went undrafted.

Nigel Carr is 6'2 and 232 lbs. Carr is likely a better fit as a nickel LB dropping back into coverage, and could probably step in as a 3-4 ILB. He is said to be very quick and can hit you hard. His problem was never talent however, he was going to become the next star for the Gators, but because of off field issues where he reportedly stole a car or something like that, was kicked off the programme. Carr was then recruited by Alabama state where he was solid, recorded like 72 tackles (9 for a loss) and 3 sacks in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Deonte Thompson is said to be a burner at 6'0 and 200 lbs. He was a top recruit out of high school, but never really done much in the SEC for the Gators, hence why he went undrafted.

Nigel Carr is 6'2 and 232 lbs. Carr is likely a better fit as a nickel LB dropping back into coverage, and could probably step in as a 3-4 ILB. He is said to be very quick and can hit you hard. His problem was never talent however, he was going to become the next star for the Gators, but because of off field issues where he reportedly stole a car or something like that, was kicked off the programme. Carr was then recruited by Alabama state where he was solid, recorded like 72 tackles (9 for a loss) and 3 sacks in 2011.
    Thanks,

If that's the case, I'd play the heck out of both of them during the exhibition season. If Thompson can catch I'd be overjoyed (I don't know about Skeeter but I also thought Torrey was not going to excel and boy was I wrong).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    Thanks,

If that's the case, I'd play the heck out of both of them during the exhibition season. If Thompson can catch I'd be overjoyed (I don't know about Skeeter but I also thought Torrey was not going to excel and boy was I wrong).
    Nobody seen Victor Cruz turning out like he did, I can only dream of a similar scenario here!

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Didnt we do that with grubbs yanda and oher? Cant seems a little strong of word choice. Maybe preferably would be a better choice.
    Since Harbaugh took over I believe only Jimmy Smith was a starter as a rookie, the others got to start via injury to Terry, Evans and not sure sure Yanda was a starter, I believe could be wrong Chester started. Shows you how much they think of Jimmy Smith. Dawned on me Williams makes good sense because he played in the division and knows the defensive schemes of the Steelers, Browns and of course Bengals who he practiced against for years. Very shrewd move by Ozzie, IMO. I've never been a fan of starting rookies unless they are incredibly special, too many mental errors, the speed is faster, plus you hit a wall in the season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Since Harbaugh took over I believe only Jimmy Smith was a starter as a rookie, the others got to start via injury to Terry, Evans and not sure sure Yanda was a starter, I believe could be wrong Chester started. Shows you how much they think of Jimmy Smith. Dawned on me Williams makes good sense because he played in the division and knows the defensive schemes of the Steelers, Browns and of course Bengals who he practiced against for years. Very shrewd move by Ozzie, IMO. I've never been a fan of starting rookies unless they are incredibly special, too many mental errors, the speed is faster, plus you hit a wall in the season.
    Michael Oher was drafted in 2009 after Terry left us. He was an immediate starter in his rookie year. Flacco of course started for us because of other circumstances. Yanda was drafted in 07 before Harbaugh was in charge, and started I believe. Since Harbaugh has been in charge we have only had three first round picks, and two of them where starters all through the majority of their rookie seasons, and even Jimmy Smith got time a starter.

Really surprised to see that Williams got a bonus of $800K. I'm not surprised they signed a veteran to compete at LG (or so I would have thought), but that bonus clearly makes Williams the presumed starter.

Kind of a lot, IMO, for a 36-year old, who is coming off of an injury.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Williams...when healthy...is very good. Even at his age.

Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to finish either of the last 2 years due to injuries.