Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Signed Guard Bobbie Williams To A Two Year Deal

Baltimore Ravens‏@Ravens
    The #Ravens have agreed in principal to a 2-year deal with 12-year veteran guard Bobbie Williams.

He ended on IR last year, previously of the bengals.

Does this say anything baout Osemele or Reid? or purely adding depth?

Blog Entries

Re: Signed Guard Bobbie Williams To A Two Year Deal

Depth.

I didn't (and don't) think that Reid is a good fit at LG anyway.

I still think KO will start at LG, so Bobbie Williams will probably be the swing guard (he primarily was the RG in Cinci).

Plus, KO is dealing with an injury as is Reid.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

He was still a starter before he was injured last year, right? I could seeing going either way, 11 year veteran starter, or faster/stronger rookie. Even if he doesn't start, he can mentor Osemele.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Bobbie Williams was still very effective for the Bengals last year despite his age. Assuming he can recover 100% from his ankle injury, he's a very good run blocker and decent in pass protection. The only problem that I see is system fit; he's not a good fit for the zone-blocking scheme with his weight and build.

Having said that, I love the move because we now have a known quantity at G, even if he'll have to transition from RG to LG. If he can play at the level he has played for Cincinnati he should beat out KO and Reid at LG with ease.

That might sound shocking to some, but KO is a small-school OT who was playing against guys who are out trying to get real estate and insurance jobs right now. He has the physical tools, but he's a project, not an immediate answer. Jah Reid is a swing tackle, not a guard. I don't see a persuasive argument that Bobbie Williams at 100% can't beat both of them out in 2012 for a starting spot. 2013 is another matter entirely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Having said that, I love the move because we now have a known quantity at G, even if he'll have to transition from RG to LG. If he can play at the level he has played for Cincinnati he should beat out KO and Reid at LG with ease.
    I think that you are way off here. Osemele was a solid second round pick, and came up against some pretty good pass rushers in college and did a good job on them, for example Aldon Smith in 2010. To say he isn't ready because he played at a "small school" is a little harsh, Iowa Cyclones have a great programme. It's a good depth signing but nothing else, as Wicked said, Osemele is going to be the starter at left guard barring any injuries. You can never have too many offensive linemen on a team.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

That might sound shocking to some, but KO is a small-school OT who was playing against guys who are out trying to get real estate and insurance jobs right now.
    You do realize that Iowa State is in the Big 12, right?

Perhaps you are mistaking Osemele with the other LG/LT with a hard to pronounce name who was also drafted in the 2nd round (Silatulo from Midwestern State). I realize that Osemele might be ever so slightly on the raw side of the tracks, but let's not use hyperbole to downplay his NFL readiness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    You do realize that Iowa State is in the Big 12, right?

Perhaps you are mistaking Osemele with the other LG/LT with a hard to pronounce name who was also drafted in the 2nd round (Silatulo from Midwestern State). I realize that Osemele might be ever so slightly on the raw side of the tracks, but let's not use hyperbole to downplay his NFL readiness.
    Yeah I think he might be mixed up with the two, after all Osemele has came up against some damn good pass rushers in the big 12.

Blog Entries

He's been a solid guard but does he have anything left? getting kinda old...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Seems to me like a Gurode type move. Great depth signing of a guy who knows the division and can help mentor KO. Don't see anything wrong with this pickup.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I dont know man...hes pretty old coming of injury...50/50 he is still there in sept, IMO.
    Agreed but if he can win the roster spot, that might be a good thing,

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

At the end of the day, the best man is going to win the job which is great, we need the best possible offensive line we can put out there on Sundays, it's just a good thing we have tons of depth with a mix of youth and experience which is essential for offensive lines. I still think KO is going to be the starter, but Bobbie Williams is going to push him all the way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I dont know man...hes pretty old coming of injury...50/50 he is still there in sept, IMO.
    I agree. I like Williams but he's going to have to earn a spot on this roster.