Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    3

    OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal



    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ion-extension/

    I always wished the Ravens would take this approach to signing their up and coming players.




  2. #2

    Re: OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal

    the boston area isnt going to be able to handle the amount of fist pump this guy is throwing around right now.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal





  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal

    sounds like partially a financial move maybe to free cap room. In reality it's 3 years, then decide to cut/restructure
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  5. #5

    Re: OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal

    And to think, he went 1 pick ahead of Sergio Kindle... and there were rumors he was off the ravens board entirely... Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda...




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    101

    Re: OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    And to think, he went 1 pick ahead of Sergio Kindle... and there were rumors he was off the ravens board entirely... Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda...
    I'm pretty sure the patriots thought the ravens would take Gronkowski as they traded up 2 spots to get him.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    section 132
    Posts
    2,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal

    Seems kinda premature to me, esp considering the injury issues. But if he stays healthy he should continue to dominate.




  8. #8

    Re: OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by NCCRavensFan View Post
    I'm pretty sure the patriots thought the ravens would take Gronkowski as they traded up 2 spots to get him.
    In the moment, it's certainly what I thoguth happenned. After Chris Cooke went to the Vikings I think 39, I was convinced we were going to pick gronk, of which I was a HUGE fan. Then, the Pat's swooped in and we were left with no first round talent on the board. I was immediately upset with the Kindle Pick.
    In hindsight, if the ravens did, in fact, leave him off their board, shame on them.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    In the moment, it's certainly what I thoguth happenned. After Chris Cooke went to the Vikings I think 39, I was convinced we were going to pick gronk, of which I was a HUGE fan. Then, the Pat's swooped in and we were left with no first round talent on the board. I was immediately upset with the Kindle Pick.
    In hindsight, if the ravens did, in fact, leave him off their board, shame on them.
    Sergio Kindle was always first round talent, talent wasn't the problem for him.

    But again, it happened, we could have had Brady in the 6th round in 2000. Shit happens in the draft. IMO the Patriots made a mistake trading up for Hightower when they should have drafted Upshaw, but that's just my opinion, lets see where both players are 4 years from now.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    4,505

    Re: OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal

    $9 million a year for a TE. Wow. That being said, I don't see him finishing out the deal.




  11. #11

    Re: OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    $9 million a year for a TE. Wow. That being said, I don't see him finishing out the deal.
    It is only 7 million a year, it buys out the last 2 years of his rookie deal and then adds 6 years to that.

    8 years $56 million, with only $13 guaranteed. Highway robbery for the Pats.

    I mean he only put up elite number 1 WR numbers last year, and the greatest single season from the TE position the NFL has ever seen....more than 1300 yds and 17 TD's. That is a good season for a $13-15 million wide receiver and the Pats just got that or close to it for half, of course smack in the prime years of 23-31.

    I am fairly conservative with money, but I would have rolled the dice for at least 1 more year and maybe even the last 2 Gronk had left on his deal. He likely left a TON of money on the table, and signed for way too long at 6 years with the 2 he still has left. He could have signed for 4 extra and be a FA at 29 instead of 31, that is a huge 2 years.

    I hate the Pats. Damn them.




  12. #12
    iggyman555 Guest

    Re: OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal

    who cares if we drafted him, cam wouldnt have used him correctly anyways lol




  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,177
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    It is only 7 million a year, it buys out the last 2 years of his rookie deal and then adds 6 years to that.
    8 years $56 million, with only $13 guaranteed. Highway robbery for the Pats.
    I mean he only put up elite number 1 WR numbers last year, and the greatest single season from the TE position the NFL has ever seen....more than 1300 yds and 17 TD's. That is a good season for a $13-15 million wide receiver and the Pats just got that or close to it for half, of course smack in the prime years of 23-31.
    I am fairly conservative with money, but I would have rolled the dice for at least 1 more year and maybe even the last 2 Gronk had left on his deal. He likely left a TON of money on the table, and signed for way too long at 6 years with the 2 he still has left. He could have signed for 4 extra and be a FA at 29 instead of 31, that is a huge 2 years.
    I hate the Pats. Damn them.
    Actually, according to ESPN, it is 6 years for $53 million/with 16.5 mil. guaranteed : http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...lion-extension
    Either way I think he was wise to take it. You might have "rolled the dice", but this is football not baseball, and a greater possibility of injury. Gronk was scheduled to make $500,000+ for each of the next two seasons. That is a great risk for a guy in this collision sport. Now he's guaranteed $16.5 million and will never have to worry where his next meal is coming from. BTW what is "only" about 7 million a year? ... Bc




  14. #14

    Re: OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal

    I think the deal (as mentioned) does not include the 2 years left on his previous contract. So the 6 year extension plus those two remaining years makes him locked up for 8 years (assuming the Pats exercise the option after 2015). His base salaries for this year and next apparently are the same as they were in the previous contract, low, at around $550k-$650k per. He gets $8M right now for signing the extension (from what I read). As for total guaranteed money I have seen differing amounts (and there is an amount guaranteed for injury only, so maybe this is why), but it still is less than Gates got in guaranteed.

    In short, the Pats got a great deal (steal), but I think a lot of Gronk's success comes from being a Pat, and he realizes this. Even though Gronk put up stats similar to an elite WR, he is still a TE, even if a mutant prototype; not all/many teams can take full advantage of such players. He also ended last year injured enough to require surgery. The guy who is really disappointed about this deal is Welker; there is no chance he gets a significant payday now, imo.




  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: OT: Gronkowski inks 6- year 54 million deal

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    It is only 7 million a year, it buys out the last 2 years of his rookie deal and then adds 6 years to that.

    8 years $56 million, with only $13 guaranteed. Highway robbery for the Pats.

    I mean he only put up elite number 1 WR numbers last year, and the greatest single season from the TE position the NFL has ever seen....more than 1300 yds and 17 TD's. That is a good season for a $13-15 million wide receiver and the Pats just got that or close to it for half, of course smack in the prime years of 23-31.

    I am fairly conservative with money, but I would have rolled the dice for at least 1 more year and maybe even the last 2 Gronk had left on his deal. He likely left a TON of money on the table, and signed for way too long at 6 years with the 2 he still has left. He could have signed for 4 extra and be a FA at 29 instead of 31, that is a huge 2 years.

    I hate the Pats. Damn them.
    I think this was actually a true extension, his final two years weren't touched, and the new deal was added to the end of it.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland