Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 56
  1. #25

    Re: Does Chris McCalister make the HOF?



    Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    What do you think?

    Hes got at least 1 Superbowl ring(possibly 2, if someone could confirm whether or not he received a ring from the Saints), 26 Career INTs and 5 Career Def TD's.

    2 All pros, 3 pro bowls.
    Is this a mock thread? The NFL hall of fame?




  2. #26

    Re: Does Chris McCalister make the HOF?

    No, was good but had too many pesonal penalties that happened at crucial times called against him. Plaxico, Ward and him should have joined some anger management course.




  3. #27

    Re: Does Chris McCalister make the HOF?

    i don't think CMAC should even be in the RAVENS HOF.




  4. #28

    Re: Does Chris McCalister make the HOF?

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    In there respective primes, the ONLY thing that Woodson was better at than McAlister was surrendering long TD passes.

    Woodson made a few more splash plays, but that was merely because he got beat so often that teams threw his way far more than they dared throw at C-Mac.

    In their primes, which overlapped (Woodson entered the league in 98. McAlister in 99), McAlister was the better player. He made the big plays here and there, all while surrendering far fewer completions, receiving yards, and TDs than Woodson. Opposing QBs, from 2000-2006, often gave up on the notion of throwing anywhere in CMAC's direction, which is why his name wasn't called on the highlights as often as Woodson's. Woodson would get beat for 9 catches, 130 yards, and a TD, but would make one huge splash play that made all the Sports Center reels. Meanwhile, CMac would hold his opposing #1 to 4 catches for 46 yards and get no fanfare.

    Make no mistake, though, that NFL executives--while pouring over game film--- knew who was the better CB. Up until 2007, there was zero chance that the Ravens--or any NFL front office-- would have traded McAlister even up for Woodson. In fact, you can make an argument that McAlister was the superior CB to Woodson for every year from 2000-06. That's seven straight years during their primes when CMac outshone Woodson.

    Woodson's HOF value has soared based on his (undeserved) DPOY award in 2009 and the four straight Pro Bowls from 08-11. What people conveniently forget that he went from 2001-07 without getting a single Pro Bowl invitation. By the end of 2005, it looked like his career was all but over....the resurgence he has had recently definitely came out of nowhere. However, his resurrection of his career has come in a different form than McAlister's. Unlike CMAC, Woodson has never been a shutdown corner. He's been a gambler who has surrendered far more big plays than an elite CB ever should. Cmac made those big plays from time to time, without subjecting his team to the negatives associated with Woodson's style of play.

    Charles Woodson might have had the better career, but he was never as dominant a CB as CMAC was during the first half of the 2000-2010 decade.
    This was what I recall. And there was a point, 2006 i believe, that absolutely yes many pundits said he was the top CB in the game. Now you gotta be fair and say that Plaxico, Ward and Harrison had their way with him at the end of his career. Those 3 made him look bad sometimes.

    He does not qualify for the HOF. Sadly he may not qualify for the ROH because of his character, but to say he wasn't an absolutley great shutdown CB for several years, and the greatest CB the Ravens ever had, is absolutely ridiculous. You may not think so because you never heard a peep from his side of the field for game after game after game. Maybe his character flaws made you forget the tremendous monster hits he put on RB's, a rarity for CB's? This guy played a huge role on the best single season Defense in NFL history. To deny that is just plain ludicrous.

    Call him a drunk. Call him a cancer. Or you could look at it like this ...
    The guy suffers from diseases called alcoholism and depression, and he beat his demons back well enough to be a critical key to the Baltimore Ravens Superbowl Campaign and made you forget about half the frickin field for several years.

    Don't hate Ravens Fans. The guy was a dick sometimes and definitely a frickin wierdo, but he was also a tremendous world class competitor. Without him, the vaunted Ravens defense we enjoyed for so many years is absolutely not the same.

    Now i ask you to be honest. When you were watching him in his prime, how many times did you say or hear people say, "Thank God we have CMAC" ? I know I heard it it a bunch of times so don't even lie lol.

    Give credit where it's due friends.
    If you break the rules you can't make the rules.
    - Remove Coach Tomlin from the NFL Competition committee.




  5. #29

    Re: Does Chris McCalister make the HOF?

    He may be the best CB in Ravens history, but he will never get into the HOF. As far as the ROH goes, I think many forget or just don't realize that there is a set of specific criteria in order to be worthy of the ROH. I just can't see how anyone would look at that criteria and say C-Mac is worthy. Time will prove this right, but he will never be a member of the HOF or the ROH.




  6. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Tottenham Raven View Post
    He may be the best CB in Ravens history, but he will never get into the HOF. As far as the ROH goes, I think many forget or just don't realize that there is a set of specific criteria in order to be worthy of the ROH. I just can't see how anyone would look at that criteria and say C-Mac is worthy. Time will prove this right, but he will never be a member of the HOF or the ROH.
    Exactly.

    If stats were a criteria, I'd say he has a shot to make the RoH.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #31

    Re: Does Chris McCalister make the HOF?

    So why am I getting remarks for asking a legitimate question? This guy was an absolute beast of a CB who would completely shutdown a side of the field. Yet im getting comments that make it seem like im ridiculously crazy for even suggesting such a notion.




  8. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,271
    Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    So why am I getting remarks for asking a legitimate question? This guy was an absolute beast of a CB who would completely shutdown a side of the field. Yet im getting comments that make it seem like im ridiculously crazy for even suggesting such a notion.
    He was a shut down corner for three, maybe four, seasons.

    The league has been littered with guys with similar stats and don't even sniff the HoF.

    It's not personal but it's a ridiculous notion when you look at it through the lens of history.

    Again, nothing personal.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  9. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: Does Chris McCalister make the HOF?

    It is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Pretty Damn Good.




  10. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,636
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Does Chris McCalister make the HOF?

    Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    So why am I getting remarks for asking a legitimate question? This guy was an absolute beast of a CB who would completely shutdown a side of the field. Yet im getting comments that make it seem like im ridiculously crazy for even suggesting such a notion.
    Go to the Hall of Fame website. Look at the Corners who are in there and see how many interceptions they have compared with McAlister. You really need over 50 to even be considered and CMac has 26.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  11. #35

    Re: Does Chris McCalister make the HOF?

    Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    So why am I getting remarks for asking a legitimate question? This guy was an absolute beast of a CB who would completely shutdown a side of the field. Yet im getting comments that make it seem like im ridiculously crazy for even suggesting such a notion.
    You aren't crazy. I think it's a legitimate question. There are two seperate questions at hand here.

    Question 1: Should Chris McAlister get in the HOF? Yes, he certainly should. Here's why:

    a) The precedence is there for players who dominated their positions over a half-decade to get into Canton. CMAC dominated his position from 2000-2006, a span of seven years. Even though career length is certainly an important criteria, there have been numerous instances where players with shorter bursts of brilliance got in. Brilliant is the only word that could describe McAlister during his prime years. He was Revis-like. #1 WRs facing the Ravens looked damned defeated by halftime.

    b) He was the 2nd best CB in football during the decade of the 2000s. Is there any other player in the history of the NFL who was the 2nd best at their position over a certain decade who is not in Canton?

    I'm a 10-hour-per-week "Hall of Fameologist" and I'm not sure I can think of a player who fits that description off the top of my head. Maybe Isiah Robertson for the Rams in the 1970s. He was arguably the 2nd best OLB in the league in the 1970s and he's not in, although I think he will be shortly.

    You could look at Jim Tyrer, who was either the best or the 2nd best LT of the 1960s, and he's not in Canton. Of course, the fact that he killed himself and his entire family probably is the reason for that more than his demonstrated ability on the field.

    Even at positions like C,TE, and OG (which don't produce tons of HOFers) there typically are two who make it for each decade. Dawson was the first, and possibly only, C from the 1990s to make it in. That's another rare exception. Center is a far less visible position than CB. Of course, the way C-Mac played cornerback, it was a largely invisible position also.

    c) There are numerous players recently put in the HOF who were never as good as CMac (Aikman, Swann, Stallworth,) or who had shorter careers than even that of CMAC (Earl Campbell, Paul Hornung). Swann never had a season where he was even one of the top 5 WRs in the game. Stallworth, at best, had two. Aikman, at best, had two years where he was a top 5 NFL QB. McAlister had seven straight years where he was a top 5---and possibly a top 3----corner. That's instant HOF validation in my book.

    d)McAlister is, without much debate, one of the top 20 cornerbacks in NFL history. There are roughly 240 players in the HOF and most positions have well over 20 players already enshrined.

    Question 2: Will McAlister get in to Canton? The answer is an obvious no.

    Why?

    1) The media members who vote are not intelligent people. They don't understand football very well. They look at stats while lazily ignoring the more important components of the game.

    2) I'm sure most media members evaluate Charles Woodson as a better CB than McAlister. He wasn't...and it really was never even close. Woodson might have had the flashier, longer career, but he shrunk in comparison to McAlister at the thing that mattered most----keeping opposing WRs out of the end zone. If the media is looking for that 2nd cornerback to go in with Champ Bailey, it's going to be Woodson and not McAlister, which is just wrong.

    3) McAlister turned in seven straight Pro Bowl caliber seasons from 2000-06, but only got voted in three times. I think that shows the general underappreciation of his abilities held by the media. That same ambivalence to his talents will make him a very short member to the HOF ballot sadly.

    Sadly, had the NFL top 100 list existed back in the days of CMAC's prime... and he made 5 or 6 straight top 30 lists....his lasting reputation might be more HOF polished. It's not happening though.

    4) Lastly, CB is a highly undervalued position in terms of Canton eligibility. Since 1985, how many CBs are in the HOF? Sanders and Woodson and Green I believe. Just three. Mike Haynes played until '89, but he was viewed as more of a pre-1985 dominant CB.

    There is a real distinction between being a HOFer and getting voted into the HOF by the media knuckleheads. Just because you never get voted in doesn't mean you aren't a HOFer in ability and performance. Fortunately, for guys like C-Mac and Isiah Robertson, there is a player-review element in place to compensate for some of the media member's mistakes.

    Also, the voice of the fan and the sabermatician is also gaining ground due to the internet. We can thank Blyleven's long-overdue induction to the voice of the fan beginning to gain equal footing with the voice of the media. If it wasn't for the internet, Blyleven would have had to wait until his 70s for the veterans committee to put him in. Perhaps that same voice of reason will eventually get C-Mac in, but I doubt it.
    Last edited by LukeDaniel; 06-08-2012 at 12:00 PM.




  12. #36

    Re: Does Chris McCalister make the HOF?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    He was a shut down corner for three, maybe four, seasons.

    The league has been littered with guys with similar stats and don't even sniff the HoF.

    It's not personal but it's a ridiculous notion when you look at it through the lens of history.

    Again, nothing personal.
    Nothing personal, but this is one of the more ridiculous statements you've ever made.

    Through the "lens of history", McAlister is probably the 14th or 15th best cornerback in the 80 year history of the game of football. He's also one of the top 8 or 9 cornerbacks of the last 30 years. In my humble opinion, that makes you HOF worthy.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland