Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Does Chris McCalister make the HOF?

What do you think?

Hes got at least 1 Superbowl ring(possibly 2, if someone could confirm whether or not he received a ring from the Saints), 26 Career INTs and 5 Career Def TD's.

2 All pros, 3 pro bowls.

Blog Entries

Re: Does Chris McCalister make the HOF?

Defensive backs get in because of interceptions. McAlister wasn't that kind of player. He was great but he doesn't have the go to number at his position to make the Hall of Fame. Just compare McAlister to someone from around the same time like Rod Woodson and you'll see a huge difference is INT numbers.

I agree GOTA. He just never had the same juice as corners like Champ Bailey or Asamugha. We appreciated him, but he was never a big focal point in national discussion. Some of that may be simply because he was overshadowed by Ray and Ed, too.

Blog Entries

McAlister was usually a top 5 or even top 3 CB on many when he played but he was never that top player at his position. The 2 guys I do see getting in from this same era are Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson. Both of those guys where just better than McAlister.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    McAlister was usually a top 5 or even top 3 CB on many when he played but he was never that top player at his position. The 2 guys I do see getting in from this same era are Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson. Both of those guys where just better than McAlister.
    Agreed.

Also, you have to consider some of the off-field stuff that happened with CMAC. He was a great player, but he wasn't so great that some of those off-field incidents won't impact consideration and status.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Not a shot in hell.

No chance. Not even debatable IMO.

Blog Entries

ROH YES, HOF NO... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No chance. Not even debatable IMO.
    In his career, in how many seasons was he the best at his position?

Right. Case closed.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

HE needed 2 to 3 more seasons like he had in 06. I always thought he was on track (despite the off the filed crap) but he obviously fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    In his career, in how many seasons was he the best at his position?

Right. Case closed.
    2003 and 2006 he was hands down the best CB in football.

In 2003, he totally took over the 2nd half of the season. He would cover the opposing team's #1 WR and totally remove them from the game. He had a stretch I believe where he had seven straight games of holding opposing teams' #1 WR below 50 receiving yards and TD-less. Later that stretch, The Ravens blew out SF 44-3 I believe. TO had an 1100 yard season that year. Against CMAC, he had 3 catches for 23 yards. The very next week, Chad Johnson, in the midst of a career season that ultimately saw him catch for 1350 yards, had 2 catches for 15 yards. That was his pattern all year. Of course, Ray won DPOY but I think the Ravens would have been worse off that year without CMAC than Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    HE needed 2 to 3 more seasons like he had in 06. I always thought he was on track (despite the off the filed crap) but he obviously fell off.
    This. McAlister had a pretty certain HOF arc through 2006. However, starting with his age 30 season (2007), he totally disappeared as productive CB. He was pretty bad in 2007 and contributed zilcho in 2008. Sadly, the last memories of McAlister in a Raven uniform were of him getting torched by Manning and Co in Week 5 of the 08 season.

His lack of productivity from age 30 on kills his HOF career, but he certainly was a HOF caliber player in terms of his value in his prime.

If you look at all the recent CBs in the HOF presently...guys like Deion, Woodson, Mel Blount, Willie Brown, Mike Haynes....they were all highly productive players into their mid-30s. That's where C-Mac falls short.

Also, if Aeneas Williams (a no-brainer Hall of Famer) is now entering his 4th ballot without getting in, it means Cmac really won't ever have a shot. CB is a drastically under-represented position in Canton.