Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

NFL Player Come Out of the Closet

You read that headline and wonder who it might be. So I follow the link and find out that it's Wade Davis. Then I have to try and remember who the hell Wade Davis is. I'm a real NFL junkie and have followed the game closely since the Vikings were losing Super Bowls but I just can't remember this guy. It's almost like the are so desperate to talk about gay players in sports that they make a big deal over anyone. Does anyone remember Wade Davis?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...150926622.html
    Last edited by GOTA; 06-07-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Re: NFL Player Comes Out of the Closet

I think he was a receiver (pun not intended).

Couldn't tell you what team he played on (pun also not intended).
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think he was a receiver (pun not intended).

Couldn't tell you what team he played on (pun also not intended).

Blog Entries

It's like DC Comics deciding to 'out' an established superhero. The say that Green Lantern is gay but it's not the Green Lantern of the movies or even any of the Green Lanterns from the Green Lantern comics. It's the Green Lantern from the 1940s whose been gathering dust for 70 years.

It wouldn't shock me if Wade Davis is some practice squad guy who never even played in the NFL. The media is so desperate to push anything gay for this election that they'll reach for anything they can get.

Apparently he was a CB that never made a 53 man roster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    Apparently he was a CB that never made a 53 man roster.
    That figures. Typical media BS.

If I recall the story correctly, Davis made a statement to the media that he felt like he had to stay closeted because a marginal player would be forced out of the league if he came out. Davis is calling for a high profile gay player to come out -- a player who is too valuable to force off a team. He believes it's necessary in order for the culture to change in the NFL.

So it's less of a story about Davis being a gay player on an NFL roster, and more of a story about professional locker room attitudes toward gays in general -- at least that's what he wants the story to be about.

In that sense, what he is asking for is a bit like Jackie Robinson integrating baseball 65 years ago. Branch Rickey was very deliberate in choosing a "bulletproof" player whose abilities and character could withstand what he was put through in blazing a trail for other black players. A lessor player and person would have failed in changing baseball culturally.

Davis is looking for a Jackie Robinson, of sorts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    If I recall the story correctly, Davis made a statement to the media that he felt like he had to stay closeted because a marginal player would be forced out of the league if he came out. Davis is calling for a high profile gay player to come out -- a player who is too valuable to force off a team. He believes it's necessary in order for the culture to change in the NFL.

So it's less of a story about Davis being a gay player on an NFL roster, and more of a story about professional locker room attitudes toward gays in general -- at least that's what he wants the story to be about.

In that sense, what he is asking for is a bit like Jackie Robinson integrating baseball 65 years ago. Branch Rickey was very deliberate in choosing a "bulletproof" player whose abilities and character could withstand what he was put through in blazing a trail for other black players. A lessor player and person would have failed in changing baseball culturally.

Maybe that high profile player is Roethlisberger.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

A poem :

If you're GAY,
    and can PLAY,
    then you'll STAY,
    that's the NFL WAY... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

I don't have a problem with it, and I thought it was an interesting article.

Not an interesting front page article, but interesting.

There are people all across the United States who are terrified their family and friends might find out they are homosexual. This guy wants to say, I was a professional in this macho sport and I decided, for myself, that I was done pretending. It was just a pin dropping, but it was a pin dropping in a deathly silent room, so it was an interesting read for me.

That's a message and a story worth sharing. Don't like, don't read it, as with most of these things.

I couldn't care less about Green Lantern.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Here's a link to the sbnation interview. *shrugs shoulders* I thought it was interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Q02N85NOE
    Last edited by Flipping Birdie; 06-07-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: adding link
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Maybe that high profile player is Roethlisberger.
    <i>Accusing</i> someone of being gay as a slander, as though being gay is an insult, is kind of considered inappropriate nowadays.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.