Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Jimmy Smith lost 15 pounds, and apparently looking really good in OTAs.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'd like to agree with 'landspeed' here'. I do believe Smith has that kind of upside, and showed flashes of it late in 2011. IMO this was another of Ozzies brilliant players that fell, and he scooped him up late in the 1st round (like Ray Lewis, Heap, and Ed Reed). When Ray and Ed retire, Jimmy Smith will be one of the next of Ravens defensive stars to shine... Bc
    I hope the same thing. I was posting that the Ravens should draft Smith in January 2011 before the season was even over. However, he wasn't close to the prospect that Chris McAlister was. That doesn't mean he can't get there but it's about the same as saying that you expect Courtney Upshaw to be the same player as Terrell Suggs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I hope the same thing. I was posting that the Ravens should draft Smith in January 2011 before the season was even over. However, he wasn't close to the prospect that Chris McAlister was. That doesn't mean he can't get there but it's about the same as saying that you expect Courtney Upshaw to be the same player as Terrell Suggs.
    G-Man of course you have good points here. But let's remember that the Ravens drafted Starks and McAlister at the same draft position (#10 in 1998 / 1999). IMO it is plausible that Jimmy Smith is comparable to McAlister, and that Upshaw has the potential to approach Suggs' productivity. Not to say that they will both be equal, but I feel in my (expanding) gut that these two will be the face of the Ravens defense in 2013 and going forward... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    G-Man of course you have good points here. But let's remember that the Ravens drafted Starks and McAlister at the same draft position (#10 in 1998 / 1999). IMO it is plausible that Jimmy Smith is comparable to McAlister, and that Upshaw has the potential to approach Suggs' productivity. Not to say that they will both be equal, but I feel in my (expanding) gut that these two will be the face of the Ravens defense in 2013 and going forward... Bc
    I'd love it if it would happen but I just can't expect it. From what I've seen McPhee has as good a chance as any young defensive player of being the next star. Given the tradition of guys coming out of nowhere like Adalius Thomas, Kelly Gregg, Jarrett Johnson and Bart Scott I think that is as likely as Smith and Upshaw being great.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'd love it if it would happen but I just can't expect it. From what I've seen McPhee has as good a chance as any young defensive player of being the next star. Given the tradition of guys coming out of nowhere like Adalius Thomas, Kelly Gregg, Jarrett Johnson and Bart Scott I think that is as likely as Smith and Upshaw being great.
    Speaking of no-name guys becoming stars...

Nigel Carr and Deonte Thompson are really making a fantastic impression thus far. Both could very well make the team. Thompson is outplaying a lot of guys as a slot receiver.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I'm a little skeptical with this idea of Jimmy Smith playing a little lighter this upcoming season. We drafted him as big physically imposing CB. Now he wants to lose 15 pounds? Isn't that a bit much? Better yet has he played at that weight before? While I recognize these cases might be slightly different, we saw with Cody and Ngata that playing at a different weight, one which you're not accustomed to could present some problems.

Jimmy Smith lost and I've found it

Good to see the guy having the work ethic to find away to make himself better for the team. If him and Webb are shut down guys it will make the loss of Suggs easier to handle.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I'm a little skeptical with this idea of Jimmy Smith playing a little lighter this upcoming season. We drafted him as big physically imposing CB. Now he wants to lose 15 pounds? Isn't that a bit much? Better yet has he played at that weight before? While I recognize these cases might be slightly different, we saw with Cody and Ngata that playing at a different weight, one which you're not accustomed to could present some problems.
    In this day and age, with the athleticsm and speed of WR's, it is so important for corners to be agile and fast enough to cover them, especially down field (which is where Smith struggled a little in 2011).

I agree with GOTA, McPhee is our next Geno Atkins.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Lots of times these guys exaggerate on stuff like this, I wouldn't get caught up with the numbers too much.

Guys come in claiming best shape of their lives, lost x amount of weight all the time. Who knows what the exact numbers are.

9. Re: Jimmy Smith lost 15 pounds, and apparently looking really good in OTAs.

So we're really have a legitimate discussion about moving a freakishly talented prototype career Corner to a position he's never played before, and also moving a pro bowl caliber, proven corner to a position he hasn't played in the NFL ever......................

Please bring on training camp!
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    So we're really have a legitimate discussion about moving a freakishly talented prototype career Corner to a position he's never played before, and also moving a pro bowl caliber, proven corner to a position he hasn't played in the NFL ever......................

Please bring on training camp!
    I don't understand it either.

If you have an elite CB, you keep them there. CB's are more valuable than FS.

Now if the question is if they should move there in their 30's as their skills erode...ala Rod Woodson/Ronnie Lott...that's another story. But that's 6+ years away for both.

11. Re: Jimmy Smith lost 15 pounds, and apparently looking really good in OTAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't understand it either.

If you have an elite CB, you keep them there. CB's are more valuable than FS.

Now if the question is if they should move there in their 30's as their skills erode...ala Rod Woodson/Ronnie Lott...that's another story. But that's 6+ years away for both.
    I understand things are a little slow, but the idea is a tad too ridiculous right now, even for offseason speculation. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that the team makes moves like that.... On madden i'm sure Jimmy smith would be a legendary safety, but in real life, keep him at corner, let him develop into his potential.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Blog Entries

What part of "purely speculative" do you knuckleheads not understand?

It's a damn message board and it's the off-season fer chrisssakes.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.