Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Jimmy Smith lost 15 pounds, and apparently looking really good in OTAs.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I wonder if at some point they'll consider moving him back to FS?
    I think Webb's a more likely candidate, as he's a ballhawk and played the position some in college. Plus it's not like you find very many good corners over 6' like you do with Jimmy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    Courtney upshaw looks to be in a little bit better shape as well. You can see more cuts in his arm muscles. Good to see, because he didnt look to be in the best shape coming out of college.

Jimmy Smith is going to be another chris mccalister for us. Ive said it from day 1 and I doubt we will see cary williams on the team after this year. Maybe we'll give him a contract, but doubtful.
    One step at a time. Predicting McAlister is way too high of a goal. You're talking about an All Pro player who also made 3 Pro Bowls. Smith needs to start first before we can start throwing out a name like that.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    id rather have two shutdown corners, if he develops into that. That one shutdown, one average and one average safety. He wont be an Ed Reed at Safety, he'd be at best middle of the pack. Id take my chances with the two shutdown corners and one average safety via draft/FA when the time comes that ed retires
    Dig it. With 2 shutdown CBs, everyone else can cover outside-in...which is nice vs. teams that feature effective TEs (2012 schedule: NE, PHI, DAL, SD, WAS and CINx2). With that, if we can bring the pass rush between the tackles, we can obscure those inside lines-of-sight from the QB. Bonus.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    Right, i'm not gonna lie, the player that scared me the most coming into this offseason was Smith, with his background, and potential, it would have been tragic if he got into trouble this offseason, or better yet was out of shape, and basically got comfortable, and the fact that he's actually in camp right now, when he doesn't' have to be, combine with him impressing everyone, in how much he has gotten better, is incredible news. I hope this keeps up.

If he gets the a great players work ethic, combine with his physical tools. WOW.
    Smith only had issues his freshman year and getting caught with a beer at 18 isn't that much of an issue. Honestly I haven't thought twice about his character. Our o-line coach is more likely to get in trouble than Jimmy Smith is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I think Webb's a more likely candidate, as he's a ballhawk and played the position some in college. Plus it's not like you find very many good corners over 6' like you do with Jimmy.
    I disagree with that. Webb has proven to be a pro-bowl caliber cornerback. They won't be moving him.

Jimmy has shown flashes of what he can bring to the table and it's likely that he'll probably stay at cornerback. However, considering his size and ability to maintain range and speed at that size if (and it's a big if) Asa Jackson or Chykie Brown prove that they can be adequate starters and they don't have an answer at FS I could see them potentially moving Jimmy back to FS.

It's just speculative conversation, but it would make more sense to move Jimmy to FS instead of Webb. Especially if they feel like he could do it and they have someone else who can start at corner.

There is a lot of depth in the secondary right now and it's kind of a good problem to have.

Plus, I'm not even considering Cary Williams, who could very well be signed to a long term deal this year or next off-season. He's a good corner. He's not great, but he's a solid starting corner with nice size and that's hard to come by.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Upshaw also said he's down about 6-7 pounds and plans to lose more.

Blog Entries
    I disagree with that. Webb has proven to be a pro-bowl caliber cornerback. They won't be moving him.

Jimmy has shown flashes of what he can bring to the table and it's likely that he'll probably stay at cornerback. However, considering his size and ability to maintain range and speed at that size if (and it's a big if) Asa Jackson or Chykie Brown prove that they can be adequate starters and they don't have an answer at FS I could see them potentially moving Jimmy back to FS.

It's just speculative conversation, but it would make more sense to move Jimmy to FS instead of Webb. Especially if they feel like he could do it and they have someone else who can start at corner.

There is a lot of depth in the secondary right now and it's kind of a good problem to have.

Plus, I'm not even considering Cary Williams, who could very well be signed to a long term deal this year or next off-season. He's a good corner. He's not great, but he's a solid starting corner with nice size and that's hard to come by.
    And keep in mind it's a nickel league now almost every down

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I know youre just bringing it up as a topic of discussion, but i really dont see moving any of the corners. I think Thompson projects well with his size and mobility to play FS, maybe a bit small for SS even if he his a thumper for his size. I think what happens if Asa or Chykie develop is Williams or Gorrer are let go. Webb and Smith are the future at DB and we have some good young depth at the moment that could develop into starting quality. Safeties seem to be a non premium for the most part and you can pick them up relatively low in the draft, no reason Oz cant find a gem to replace Reed and maintain our strength of depth at CB.
    -JAB

In our system the top two traits a FS needs are range and instincts. Both of those traits are largely question marks with Jimmy Smith. He was primarily a man corner at Colorado and played mostly man coverage for us--he wasn't very effective in zone coverage, evidenced by the TD he gave up vs the Browns when he blew his assignment (something he did too often last year.) I think that shows his range is unproven at this point. He has the athletic ability to do it but does he have the instincts? Does he have the ability to read a defense and know where to be pre-snap and post-snap?

I disagree with the notion that Jimmy Smith projects to be a possible FS at this point. I think he's best playing strictly CB and strictly one side or the other. I don't see him as a fit for "shadow" corner or slot corner at this point because he needs to be able to know exactly what technique he's playing and how to line up. I think he'll be best when allowed to play his man and play the ball.

Of all of our DBs, Webb to me is the best zone corner with the best instincts and range. He provides better value at CB since a shutdown corner is worth more than any safety not named Ed Reed, so I don't see them moving him to FS, but I think he would be the best in that capacity.

Blog Entries

I really like the look of this Christian Thompson tbh. He is a big physical FS, and I know it is only OTA's but he has been solid so far by all accounts and has picked Flacco off a few times. With Reed sitting out OTA's, he has been taking the majority of snaps with the first team. I don't think they move Jimmy, his size and talent is just too much to over look at corner. Although I do see where Wicked is coming from, he defiantly has the size and physicality to make a good FS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    (replying to landspeed) One step at a time. Predicting McAlister is way too high of a goal. You're talking about an All Pro player who also made 3 Pro Bowls. Smith needs to start first before we can start throwing out a name like that.
    I'd like to agree with 'landspeed' here'. I do believe Smith has that kind of upside, and showed flashes of it late in 2011. IMO this was another of Ozzies brilliant players that fell, and he scooped him up late in the 1st round (like Ray Lewis, Heap, and Ed Reed). When Ray and Ed retire, Jimmy Smith will be one of the next of Ravens defensive stars to shine... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'd like to agree with 'landspeed' here'. I do believe Smith has that kind of upside, and showed flashes of it late in 2011. IMO this was another of Ozzies brilliant players that fell, and he scooped him up late in the 1st round (like Ray Lewis, Heap, and Ed Reed). When Ray and Ed retire, Jimmy Smith will be one of the next of Ravens defensive stars to shine... Bc
    Ive known he would be a star in this league ever since his ridiculous interception in the AFCCG. Hes got playmaker written all over him