Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Was Suggs really playing basketball, after all?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I think the ban applies to playing basketball outside of team facilities. I think it is a stupid ban, but I have heard it referred to several times as being in the CBA.
    I don't see it, but maybe you can. Here is the entire CBA:

https://images.nflplayers.com/mediaR...es/2011CBA.pdf

There are references to "non-football related injuries" concerning compensation (page 128) and injury grievances (page 193), but I did not see the word basketball specifically mentioned at all. There is the ability of the club to place a player who has a non-football related injury on a non-football injury list, and then the player is not paid, although the years on the contract continue to accrue. So in that case basketball isn't prohibited, but a player can lose salary from an injury gotten while playing basketball (non-football related). I think that's where the Ravens are choosing (wisely) not to go.

Maybe it's in another section but I doubt it. I only skimmed it, however.

I agree that playing basketball in and of itself isn't a problematic sort of thing for a professional football player, since injuries can happen at any time while engaged in any activity (although it's inarguable that playing basketball is riskier than walking down the street or sitting on the couch.)

But the business aspect of this discussion is more complicated than that. It's not just about what Suggs was doing, it's that he was doing it while not in any way under the control and supervision of the Ravens organization. He was engaging in an activity that 1) risked damaging his ability to carry out his contractual obligations, 2) wasn't sanctioned or supervised by the team, and 3) wasn't incidental to the activities of everyday life (i.e. he wasn't walking down the street or bending over to pick up a book at the library.)

He could have torn his Achilles while engaging in a Ravens-sanctioned charity sporting event, or while playing basketball on the Ravens' basketball court in their own facility, or while doing squats in the Ravens' gym at the facility while under the supervision of their trainers, but those situations would be VERY different because in those hypothetical situations Suggs would be subject to the control and supervision of the Ravens' organization and presumably had their approval to do those things.

So I think it is a little bit hairy here and not quite as much of a non-story as people are making it. Some say Ben's motorcycle accident was clearly unacceptable while this is clearly acceptable, but where do you draw that line? The only way for players IMO to really completely clear themselves against any liability here is at a minimum to make sure they have team approval before engaging in any kind of extracurricular athletics or anything of that nature. Maybe it sounds excessive, but at least it's consistent.

The fact that Suggs continues to apparently lie about it also concerns me, to be honest. If it's not a big deal, why lie about it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The fact that Suggs continues to apparently lie about it also concerns me, to be honest. If it's not a big deal, why lie about it?
    Following his agent's & the Ravens Organization's lead?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I didn't realize Suggs has talked about how it happened since the couple of days after it happened. I guess I must have missed later denials by him.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    Who gives a shit.
    My thoughts exactly

Yeah, sports reporting has crossed in National Enquirer territory....
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I didn't realize Suggs has talked about how it happened since the couple of days after it happened. I guess I must have missed later denials by him.
    The whole "did it actually happen playing basketball" thing was brought up a few times, and Suggs directly denied that at least once. Then it died for a while, now it's cropped up again, and he's directly denied it again recently. I'm not really inclined to try to find the sources at this point but it did happen.

It's still possible that Suggs is telling the truth and Schefter's sources are lying, but that doesn't seem too credible, IMO.

Blog Entries

The whole "did it actually happen playing basketball" thing was brought up a few times, and Suggs directly denied that at least once. Then it died for a while, now it's cropped up again, and he's directly denied it again recently. I'm not really inclined to try to find the sources at this point but it did happen.

It's still possible that Suggs is telling the truth and Schefter's sources are lying, but that doesn't seem too credible, IMO.
    Yea, he said he sustained the injury practicing the condition test that everyone has to do when reporting to training camp.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

When his injury was initially reported, the first reports were that he hurt it playing BBall. Then, he - and his agent - denied it. The team, I believe, has been silent on the issue.

My guess is that he did hurt it playing BBall, but there's no reason for him or the team to disclose if it was BBall (especially, if they aren't pursuing any money anyway). In fact, what Harbaugh said today was that it wasn't relevant how it happened (rehab is the only relevant thing), which IMO isn't exactly a resounding endorsement of Suggs' version.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Injuries happen - no matter the time or the activity. We can only deal with them and move on. If the NFL were a normal industrial concern, their injury frequency/severity index would make them uninsurable.