Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Kudos to BCRaven

Don't forget about the other guy the Ravens signed as a UDRFA, I can't remember his name, but he's like 6'8 and 330 lbs or something stupid like that, the guys massive and could be in the mix as a reserve tackle over Harewood.

UDFA James Carmon never signed with the Ravens if that is who you are talking about. Lawrence and Madsen signed and are both about 6'4" and more RT material. They did sign one tall tackle Jack Cornell who is 6'6" but i thnk only weighs about 310lbs. Most info I could find on him indicated that he would be a better gaurd than tackle prospect.
    That leaves the depth chart at LT as Mckinnie, Oher and Harewood for now.

Blog Entries

I don't want to be debbie downer but I am just not seeing what the fuss is about with guys like Boren, Jah Reid, and Harewood. These guys cannot seem to stay healthy or get on the field when they are healthy. I don't think that Harewood is going to amount to anything at this point, and I have major doubts if Boren and Reid are going to be anything other than perennial back-ups. The Ravens have a decent, but not great OL, but these guys have not been able to get any kind of playing time despite the Ravens having a few injuries on the OL. When they have gotten in games, they have not been very impressive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I don't want to be debbie downer but I am just not seeing what the fuss is about with guys like Boren, Jah Reid, and Harewood. These guys cannot seem to stay healthy or get on the field when they are healthy. I don't think that Harewood is going to amount to anything at this point, and I have major doubts if Boren and Reid are going to be anything other than perennial back-ups. The Ravens have a decent, but not great OL, but these guys have not been able to get any kind of playing time despite the Ravens having a few injuries on the OL. When they have gotten in games, they have not been very impressive.
    Well, I think you'd have a point regarding Harewood, but Jah was a rookie last year and probably would have started at RT had the Ravens not signed McKinnie and moved Oher back over to the right side. Boren was a UDFA to begin with and a long shot to make the team.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, I think you'd have a point regarding Harewood, but Jah was a rookie last year and probably would have started at RT had the Ravens not signed McKinnie and moved Oher back over to the right side. Boren was a UDFA to begin with and a long shot to make the team.
    If Reid had been the starting RT this past season, it would have been due to default, and not a demonstration of ability. I have watched him closely when he has been in games. I am not impressed. He isn't explosive coming off of the ball, and doesn’t seem to get the kind of push you want to see from a starting OT. I hope I am wrong, but I doubt the Ravens are planning for Reid to be a starting OT or OG for them anytime soon. The same goes for Boren. I doubt he will be anything more than a back-up.

How did Gradkowski look in the OTA's? Any chance that he could contribute this season, or is he another project?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HHIRaven View Post
    UDFA James Carmon never signed with the Ravens if that is who you are talking about. Lawrence and Madsen signed and are both about 6'4" and more RT material. They did sign one tall tackle Jack Cornell who is 6'6" but i thnk only weighs about 310lbs. Most info I could find on him indicated that he would be a better gaurd than tackle prospect.
    Yeah James Carmon is who I meant, I thought we signed him.. oh well..

And Jah Reid was a 3rd round pick who we moved up to get, he's barely played any snaps for us. I highly doubt the Ravens are just going to settle with him being a back up, his size and athleticism is just too much to forget about. As for Gino, he is seen by many as the long term answer at center for when Birk retires/gets too old to be an NFL starting center.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Okay, I am going to publicly credit BCRaven for having a better read on Boren and his chances of making the team than I had.

Back in March, before the draft, there was a thread about Ramon Harewood and in it BCRaven stated that he thought Boren was in a better position to make the team than Harewood, and may be in the mix if moving Jah Reid to guard failed to work.

I took the position that we should not write off Harewood because I saw him as more of a redshirt type player and not necessarily as a player who is too injury prone to contribute.

I argued that even if Grubbs were to leave, as he did, that the Ravens would be more likely to draft a center and guard prospect than a tackle prospect--and therefore Boren would face a lot more competition than Harewood. I will take a little credit for predicting that the team would add two more interior lineman and Harewood would still be the fourth tackle on the depth chart. However, Osemele is probably enough of a swing tackle/guard that he threatens Harewood's spot, and Gradkowski is probably enough of a center-only, that he doesn't much threaten Boren for a guard spot.

I think BCRaven probably had it right that the conversion of Jah Reid or even Michael Oher to guard won't be easy, and there is enough uncertainty that you can't rule out Boren as a legitimate option at position that he played in college at a high level.

It also helps his case to point out that there was a story in the Sun four days ago saying that Harewood was struggling a bit in camp at both tackles spots, with holding and false start penalties and he admitted that watching film while on IR doesn't do much to help learn how to make read-adjustments on the fly.
    Nothing to add, except THANKS shas... Bc

Credit given where credit due. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by HHIRaven View Post
    Yikes! Let us fervently hope that the much maligned McKinnie stays healthy! I can't see us NOT getting an experienced OL body before the season starts. At LG we are looking at a rookie, a second-year RT and a UDFA. At C we have a rather old guy who is beginning to show his age and a rather unheralded rookie. And to develop these young guys at O line coach . . .