Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

The dark horse in the left guard race.

Again just OTA's but Justin Boren (6'2 325 lbs) who is a complete mauler has looked impressive thus far. He would also make that interior line huge if he lined up at center. Good to see the players we don't expect much from doing well. Someone to look out for in the pre season games.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/...n_In_OTAs.aspx

Sounds awesome -- I'm excited to see him in the preseason BUT...I think I read the exact same article about Oneil Cousins during OTA's 2 years ago....

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Re: The dark horse in the left guard race.

KO is going to be the starting LG.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yes, in preparation for his move to LT in 2013... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Id be really surprised if he isnt. I like our inside depth that we lacked last year and id still like to see reid push oher for that RT spot which i think he can win.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I'm not saying he's going to start really, but he is going to offer some good depth as a center and guard, he may even compete with Gino next season for the center spot.

Blog Entries

There was a lot of hope around Boren last year. But chicagoravensfan is right...Unfortunately, you have to take anything that comes from BR.com with a grain of salt...The team is looking to create storylines, they aren't going to negatively critique one of their own players like an outside media source would, such as WNST, Aaron Wilson, etc. A year or two back, there was an article on there about Cam Cameron saying he could see Oneil Cousins being the starter at T that year. Obviously, that was all a bit of propping on their part.

That said, I hope that Boren does play that well in camp. Whether or not he starts, always good to have quality competition to push the best player up.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I think the important takeaway from this article is that Boren can play all three interior positions.
    I'd be shocked if he won a starting role. But it's certainly good to have someone that's gives you a little depth and flexibility on your line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    There was a lot of hope around Boren last year. But chicagoravensfan is right...Unfortunately, you have to take anything that comes from BR.com with a grain of salt...The team is looking to create storylines, they aren't going to negatively critique one of their own players like an outside media source would, such as WNST, Aaron Wilson, etc. A year or two back, there was an article on there about Cam Cameron saying he could see Oneil Cousins being the starter at T that year. Obviously, that was all a bit of propping on their part.

That said, I hope that Boren does play that well in camp. Whether or not he starts, always good to have quality competition to push the best player up.
    Good post. :word

Kudos to BCRaven

Okay, I am going to publicly credit BCRaven for having a better read on Boren and his chances of making the team than I had.

Back in March, before the draft, there was a thread about Ramon Harewood and in it BCRaven stated that he thought Boren was in a better position to make the team than Harewood, and may be in the mix if moving Jah Reid to guard failed to work.

I took the position that we should not write off Harewood because I saw him as more of a redshirt type player and not necessarily as a player who is too injury prone to contribute.

I argued that even if Grubbs were to leave, as he did, that the Ravens would be more likely to draft a center and guard prospect than a tackle prospect--and therefore Boren would face a lot more competition than Harewood. I will take a little credit for predicting that the team would add two more interior lineman and Harewood would still be the fourth tackle on the depth chart. However, Osemele is probably enough of a swing tackle/guard that he threatens Harewood's spot, and Gradkowski is probably enough of a center-only, that he doesn't much threaten Boren for a guard spot.

I think BCRaven probably had it right that the conversion of Jah Reid or even Michael Oher to guard won't be easy, and there is enough uncertainty that you can't rule out Boren as a legitimate option at position that he played in college at a high level.

It also helps his case to point out that there was a story in the Sun four days ago saying that Harewood was struggling a bit in camp at both tackles spots, with holding and false start penalties and he admitted that watching film while on IR doesn't do much to help learn how to make read-adjustments on the fly.

Re: Kudos to BCRaven

I don't follow what happens in OTA's very closely because I just don't think there are many hard conclusions most fans can draw from them.

In any case, the prevailing sentiment here seems to be optimism about the interior OL depth, and I tend to agree with that. Justin Boren saw quite a bit of playing time in the 2011 preseason out of necessity, but may have shown enough to make the coaches feel he can make the final 53 this year. I think it's a stretch to say he's even a dark horse candidate to start at LG, but could provide decent quality depth.

And while the point could be made that depth at tackle is more needed than interior depth at this juncture, I still think Boren's chances of making the team are greater than Harewood's. I have no idea whether the Ravens think KO could be an NFL-caliber LT or whether they see him strictly as guard material forever. But either way, I have this feeling they may soon be giving up on Harewood.

Re: Kudos to BCRaven

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Justin Boren saw quite a bit of playing time in the 2011 preseason out of necessity, but may have shown enough to make the coaches feel he can make the final 53 this year. I think it's a stretch to say he's even a dark horse candidate to start at LG, but could provide decent quality depth..
    The odd thing is that while Boren played well in the second preseason game against the Redskins, he didn't play well in the other two and was downright dreadful in the final game of the preseason, against the Falcons. He was easily outplayed by Bryan Mattison and Tim Barnes. So he must have showed enough in practices to warrant sticking on the practice squad.

It's worth noting that Mattison and Barnes both ended up signing with the Rams. Barnes as a practice squad player until he was elevated to the 53-man in the last week of the season. Mattison got four starts at right guard and performed admirably.

Both of them are in the running to be the starter at LG for the Rams, so it's kind of ironic that Boren would be in the exact same position back in Baltimore. The Rams also drafted a guy who could be in the mix, but Rok Watkins was a late rounder and much less highly thought of than Osemele.

It's quite possible that the guy the Ravens let go, Mattison, secures a starting job in St. Louis before Boren does in Baltimore.

Recall, too, that former Ravens center Jason Brown went to St. Louis but ended up getting cut and doesn't have a job right now.