Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

League Looking to Hire Replacement Refs

Just caught this tweet from Adam Shefter ....

AdamSchefter 9:05am via WhoSay

Talks between NFL and officials for new deal have broken off. NFL has advised all teams it is now working to hire replacement officials.
    Not good. I don't have many complaints about the product the NFL puts out, but the officiating is something could be improved. Vastly.

With the revenue the league generates, it's inexcusable that they do not employ full time referees. Instead, they opt for part time officials, most of whom have other jobs and only dedicate a small amount of time to their NFL craft. The quality of officiating is dreadful, IMO, and I hope the league is able to force these men to work full time.

In the short term, especially if they hire replacements, the quality of officiating will go down even further until the college level refs get up to speed (literally) on the NFL game.

Blog Entries

Re: League Looking to Hire Replacement Refs

The league isn't interested in the refs working full time. The NFL says they don't have enough to do in the offseason for it to make sense. I think at the very least the NFL should make the crew chief a full time employee. There should be 1 for every game and he should be in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The league isn't interested in the refs working full time. The NFL says they don't have enough to do in the offseason for it to make sense. I think at the very least the NFL should make the crew chief a full time employee. There should be 1 for every game and he should be in charge.
    I'm not sure if the NFL needs full time refs or not, but by this line of reasoning teachers shouldn't work full time either. The NFL needs to come up with a better reason to defend it's stance (if indeed it hasn't. I honestly haven't read much on the issue).

If they did do full time refs, they could work full time during the preseason, regular season, and possibly playoffs and figure out for themselves if they wanted to work another job in the off-season, just like many teachers do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    If they did do full time refs, they could work full time during the preseason, regular season, and possibly playoffs and figure out for themselves if they wanted to work another job in the off-season, just like many teachers do.
    That's what they do now. The league and the union representing the refs see that as part time employment.

The league now wants them to work year round -- attend clinics, receive more training, watch film, etc -- which is a departure from their usual stance of allowing them to be part-time.

HR-

Thanks for clarifying.

I certainly wouldn't mind full time refs, but I guess I've always accepted that officials in any sport will make mistakes, so the quality of officiating has never bothered me much. There's no question that the NFL can afford to have full time refs to improve their product, but there will always be bad calls.

The real question is whether or not officiating will get noticeably better with an 'off-season program' for the refs.

I'm sure nothing will go wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I'm not sure if the NFL needs full time refs or not, but by this line of reasoning teachers shouldn't work full time either. The NFL needs to come up with a better reason to defend it's stance (if indeed it hasn't. I honestly haven't read much on the issue).

School is in session for 9 months. Even with the preseason and playoffs you're talking about around 6 and they don't even need half the refs for the playoffs.

Howard Cosell used to complain about this exact issue back in the 70's. He was always calling for full time refs and in the 35 years since the NFL hasn't changed their stance.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    School is in session for 9 months. Even with the preseason and playoffs you're talking about around 6 and they don't even need half the refs for the playoffs.

Howard Cosell used to complain about this exact issue back in the 70's. He was always calling for full time refs and in the 35 years since the NFL hasn't changed their stance.
    I think NFL officiating is much better than MLB or the NBA, with their full-time officials.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I think NFL officiating is much better than MLB or the NBA, with their full-time officials.
    I don't watch enough of either of those sports to know. I do think it's better than the NHL but that isn't saying much.

Blog Entries

Well they can't be any worse than the ones they put on the field now.

Once they get a deal, I'd like to see officials or crews suspended or fined for poor calls/games.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

I remember the scab refs and they were dreadful.

Yes, be careful what you wish for.

There are some interesting numbers in this article
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ike/55404170/1

Basically salaries can go from $78,000 for Rookie officials to $200,000 for veterans by 2018.
    Sounds like a helluva good full-time salary to me, although there is no mention about a move to fulltime employment in the article.. I'd be happy to attend training and watch film of every player in the league every day of the frickin year for that money lol. I saw in another article that MLB refs make an average of 120K, and that's a boatload more games.

The NFL is messing with the officials pension plan however, and that's a major sticking point.
    Last edited by Real Fan Dan; 06-06-2012 at 12:25 AM.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!