Blog Entries

What you CAN get, from a non-story

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rter-in-cincy/

This is what we like to call a 'non-story', because it is only about OTAs. However, what we can take from this is the overall quality of the safety position for the Bengals. Last year, Torrey Smith burned them the first time the Ravens and Bengals played. Then, Ray Rice beat them for some long runs.

Before we determine whether or not the Bengals can return to the playoffs or make more noise in the AFC North, perhaps we should look at what stood in their way last year, and what they could now bring to the table to stop that.

I really like Dre Kirkpatrick, but I don't see how he will be able to handle Torrey Smith. Then, you have to consider the amount of cover 2 zone that they run, which means that the safeties will have to play a major role in stopping him. Personally, I just don't see the safety play there. They are going to be in a 'pick your poison' situation all over again.

As for how they can stop Pittsburgh, the question is whether or not Pittsburgh has lost enough to think that the Bengals can now handle them. The first time they played, Cincinnati hung with them for three quarters. The second time, Pittsburgh finished them quickly.

The only thing that I could see working in Cincinnati's favor is if they get some other WRs going. In that case, I don't think that Pittsburgh has the CBs to shut down Dalton and co. However, they would also have to protect Dalton better. They did a good job last year, but Pittsburgh really flustered him.

It may boil down to who will rise, A.J. Green or those who will now look to stop him.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: What you CAN get, from a non-story

I don't think Cincy has a good enough overall defense to make the play offs this year. Last year their defense looked better than what it was playing against weaker offenses. I really like Mike Zimmer, and they have a really good defensive line with plenty of depth, but their LB's are nothing to write home about, and their secondary is still a weak point even if they did draft Kirkpartick. Remember that we are playing against the pass happy NFC East and AFC West divisions in 2012.

We drafted a much more talented corner coming out of college last year in the name of Jimmy Smith, and he couldn't even beat out Cary Williams to start (a lot of that was due to an injury). So I think teams are going to really expose their secondary. I don't see them competing with the Ravens or the Steelers, because they are just going to burn them every time with Torrey Smith and Mike Wallace. I do like their offense, they have some interesting weapons and a solid offensive line, but can Andy Dalton really step into another level in 2012? He played under a very conservative game plan in 2011, he wont be able to get away with that in 2012. This is all speculation, I am not writing them off or anything, but I think people are way too optimistic for the Bengals right now, at the end of the day they only finished 9-7 with a pretty easy schedule, and didn't even beat a single winning team in 2011.

Blog Entries

The big transition I see on the Bengals is a real transition from a running team to a passing team. They decided to go for broke and did not sign a 300+ carry per year runningback. To me that means they either have to develop their passing game or they will be in serious trouble. The preseason games should at least give us a little insight on whether they are going to be able to pull this off.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The big transition I see on the Bengals is a real transition from a running team to a passing team. They decided to go for broke and did not sign a 300+ carry per year runningback. To me that means they either have to develop their passing game or they will be in serious trouble.
    I'm high on the Bengals. Their QB played extremely well as a rookie, and should get better with a normal development curve. AJ Green is a monster in the making. They added talent with high draft picks.

Bill Polian picked them to win the division! (He had the Ravens getting the wildcard, and advancing to the Super Bowl from the wildcard spot.)

They should be good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I'm high on the Bengals. Their QB played extremely well as a rookie, and should get better with a normal development curve. AJ Green is a monster in the making. They added talent with high draft picks.

Bill Polian picked them to win the division! (He had the Ravens getting the wildcard, and advancing to the Super Bowl from the wildcard spot.)

They should be good.
    I like the Dalton to Green combination a lot as well but can they carry the team? Last year they really ran everything though the running game. I don't think Green-Ellis is that kind of back. He is though an excellent runningback for a team that can pass and use him in a single back set. My guess is that's the plan but I'm still not convinced that they have enough receivers/pass catching Tight Ends to do that.

Blog Entries

I love Bill Polian and everything, but I can't see how in the hell they can win this division with what they have... I mean, I could be wrong about it. Who do the Bengals have outside of AJ Green, Geno Atkins, Andrew Whitworth, Jermaine Gresham and Andy Dalton (debatable at this point) who jump right out at you at being a pro bowl type player?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I love Bill Polian and everything, but I can't see how in the hell they can win this division with what they have... I mean, I could be wrong about it. Who do the Bengals have outside of AJ Green, Geno Atkins, Andrew Whitworth, Jermaine Gresham and Andy Dalton (debatable at this point) who jump right out at you at being a pro bowl type player?
    Maybe one of their coaches can sacrifice their spouse on the altar of inspiration again?

I'll throw this out there.
    When talking about the Bengals, there is alot of potential for their offense to be explosive.
    But they will have to depend on rookies to do that.
    At receiver, I see Green out there with both Sanu and Marvin Jones.
    Jones may work out of the slot which will make him more dangerous of a receiver.
    He has very good hands and a quick burst. Sanu has some size and with Green running all over the field, Dalton will have options to go to.
    At TE, I am not sure. I know Donald Lee is capable but getting older.
    I actually think they will throw more to Green-Ellis than Green-Ellis has ever done before.

But with that all said, I think the Bengals will go down the field and only underneath as outlet passes/check downs.
    And if they can get a defense running backwards, then they will mix in the run.
    Just my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I like the Dalton to Green combination a lot as well but can they carry the team? Last year they really ran everything though the running game. I don't think Green-Ellis is that kind of back. He is though an excellent runningback for a team that can pass and use him in a single back set. My guess is that's the plan but I'm still not convinced that they have enough receivers/pass catching Tight Ends to do that.
    Agreed.

Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson have been a prolific duo when Stafford is healthy and as great as those two are they can't carry the Lions.

It takes more than just 1 receiver/QB connection.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Agreed.

Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson have been a prolific duo when Stafford is healthy and as great as those two are they can't carry the Lions.

It takes more than just 1 receiver/QB connection.
    It's interesting that you mention the Lions, because they had a similar issue. They couldn't take down the winning teams with the Stafford/Johnson combination.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

The Bengals always ascend when up against weak competition. They won't be the Bungals of old but I really don't see them as a playoff caliber team. It's sad because I think they have a lot of talent. Marvin Lewis comes from the play not to lose philosophy of coaching and that works against bottom feeders but not the elite. Thus their record last year. They didn't win a game against a playoff team at all last year, I want to say they didn't even beat a team with a winning record but I am not sure how the Titans finished. They had a young team last year but this is what Marvin Lewis coached teams do.