Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jacoby Jones

Blog Entries

Re: Jacoby Jones

Jones was still dropping them in the recent OTAs. Plenty of speed but no hands.

I remember Doss having a good camp and never making the field. Gruden said on
    MNF that HARBs told him Reed would be a name he would be repeating often in the future.

My beef is signing all these stud WRs like Boldin, TJ and Evans who do well elsewhere
    then drop the big one for us in the end zone with the game on the line. Evans scored 3 TDs vs us with Buff and then drops the biggest pass of his life for us in NE. Boldin and TJ did last year in Pissburgh too.

It's the system stupid, signing all these FAs and plugging them in while as mentioned above,

Piss drafts guys who cut it in camp then they get their big moment during the season
    and usually vs us ala Brown catching the ball vs his helmet in a 1 of a million
    chances and Mike Wallace whom DeCosta never knew was a WR on the same team
    when he was watching Oher.

Ozzie got the QB monkey off his back with Joe but is still having trouble at WR
    except for Torrey but lets see if he's a repeat. Meanwhile, Doss and Reed are still
    the WR monkey on Ozzie's back.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-04-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    What is so unbelievable?

If the young guys cant practice well enough to get on the field, so be it.

If they're that bad in practice then why keep them on the team at all? They must be showing something, right?
    Every player on the roster is not meant to play with the starters. Hell, Sergio Kindle made the roster last year. Somebody mentioned that we don't want to play rookies and we don't take chances...Flacco, Rice, Oher, Dickson, Smith...even Laquan got a lot of PT in the immediate games after Evans got hurt. All those guys got significant PT as rookies.

To act like David Reed and Laquan Williams never got snaps is just wrong. Point blank. The ONLY guy you can use the 8 or less snaps statement for at WR is Doss (I think his problem was learning considering how unsophisticated his offense was in IU and we didn't have any OTA's...I expect him to really compete for that 3rd WR spot). David Reed has gotten on the field quite a bit more than most realize. Laquan was our 3rd WR for a 4-5 game stretch. They showed so much that they basically scrapped the 3rd WR spot when Williams showed he wasn't ready and had to use the 2 TE's exclusively in our 3 WR sets.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Every player on the roster is not meant to play with the starters. Hell, Sergio Kindle made the roster last year. Somebody mentioned that we don't want to play rookies and we don't take chances...Flacco, Rice, Oher, Dickson, Smith...even Laquan got a lot of PT in the immediate games after Evans got hurt. All those guys got significant PT as rookies.
    I'm not saying that Tandon Doss or anyone should be a starter without earning. What I'm saying is that I don't get the wait it out routine that happens a lot with young players on this team. Rice is actually a good example of how they should be trying to get young guys involved on the field during game-time situations. They had a handful of snaps for the kid each game and had him out there in certain packages. He got a lot of experience his rookie year and IMO was a really great foundation for him to get to where he's at now as a player.

To act like David Reed and Laquan Williams never got snaps is just wrong. Point blank. The ONLY guy you can use the 8 or less snaps statement for at WR is Doss (I think his problem was learning considering how unsophisticated his offense was in IU and we didn't have any OTA's...I expect him to really compete for that 3rd WR spot). David Reed has gotten on the field quite a bit more than most realize. Laquan was our 3rd WR for a 4-5 game stretch. They showed so much that they basically scrapped the 3rd WR spot when Williams showed he wasn't ready and had to use the 2 TE's exclusively in our 3 WR sets.
    Short of retracing every offensive snap over the past few years I don't think you or I could specifically know how many snaps David Reed actually lined up at receiver. What I can tell you is that it's not been many and there have been a lot of reports over the years about how well he performs during practice. LaQuan got some opportunities last year as the #3 receiver. He wasn't great, but he wasn't that bad either, but he did show that he wasn't ready. SO, if he was doing well at practices (which we have to infer that he was to be the #3 receiver at that point) then putting him in a game time situation showed that even though he was doing well in practices he still had a ways to go to be able to really contribute on offense. There's nothing wrong with that approach and it gave the coaching staff some solid film on the kid and how to proceed with him.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm not saying that Tandon Doss or anyone should be a starter without earning. What I'm saying is that I don't get the wait it out routine that happens a lot with young players on this team. Rice is actually a good example of how they should be trying to get young guys involved on the field during game-time situations. They had a handful of snaps for the kid each game and had him out there in certain packages. He got a lot of experience his rookie year and IMO was a really great foundation for him to get to where he's at now as a player.

Short of retracing every offensive snap over the past few years I don't think you or I could specifically know how many snaps David Reed actually lined up at receiver. What I can tell you is that it's not been many and there have been a lot of reports over the years about how well he performs during practice. LaQuan got some opportunities last year as the #3 receiver. He wasn't great, but he wasn't that bad either, but he did show that he wasn't ready. SO, if he was doing well at practices (which we have to infer that he was to be the #3 receiver at that point) then putting him in a game time situation showed that even though he was doing well in practices he still had a ways to go to be able to really contribute on offense. There's nothing wrong with that approach and it gave the coaching staff some solid film on the kid and how to proceed with him.
    I'm sure instead of the coaches just saying "hey, let's just put Ray Rice out onto the field instead of waiting it out", it went more like "hey, in practice, we are noticing that nobody can cover Rice out of the backfield and he shows a lot of elusiveness in the open field and is making a lot of our defenders looks stupid...let's put him in". If they were saying the same thing that these media practice reports were saying, they'd get their chances...Laquan got one last year and Reed has had numerous chances.

I don't have the list of plays Reed had at WR either...if someone could find a site or way to pull it up it would be great...but I know that I constantly re watch games and I notice him being in there. For instance, did you know he had at least 4 snaps at WR in the 2nd Pittsburgh game last year? Maybe I'll take time to chart it over the course of the summer as a summer project to get a more firm number. But he hasn't played as sparingly as some of you are making it out to be.

As for Laquan...I guess when your #3 WR drops as many balls as he catches and struggles to get open it's not that bad either. And he played there OVER Reed and Doss...certainly not ringning endorsements for them. And who's to say he will ever be ready...and if he eventually will be, that it would be this year? The team has to protect itself...we are trying to do big things and relying on a hope and a prayer is not smart.

Again, there is nothing that this coaching staff and front office would love more than for them to have hit on these mid round guys.

Blog Entries

Torrey Smith looked really bad last preseason. Doss actually looked better than him. So, how is it that Smith got to start once Evans got hurt and Doss didn't get into the Rams game until the fourth quarter? Doss was catching everything during the preseason. Smith seemed to be dropping a lot of passes.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Yes and don't forget that while Torrey did well early on he wore down at the end. He
    has to do it again in the sophomore jinx year.

Joe was the one who asked for Doss. DeCosta gave him some tapes before the lockout to view of 2d teir receivers we might have a chance for in the draft. DeCosta said he got nervous because Joe hadn't returned them about a week before the lockout, then it was too late.

Joe got them in just in time and said he wanted Doss because of his size and hands.
    He had huge hands like Brown who caught the ball vs his helmet as he ran out of
    bounds and won the game with 2 mins left in Pissburgh. It was the huge hand
    that kept the ball vs the helmet as he ran out of bounds.

It's the system.

Blog Entries

Yeah the system of Harbaugh completely refusing to play the younger players, EVEN if they may have been the better player to start.

Whoever is #3, Boldin should be in the slot in 3 receiver sets. Text book Air Coryell.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Facebook -> Craig.Ciurca
    Twitter -> @papa_ciurca
    Instagram -> @papa_ciurca

A few thoughts

A couple of posts have said (paraphrasing): "They [young WRs] must be pretty good; after all, they made the team." MAYBE pretty good, OR least bad.

What's clear IMHO, is that OZ/the FO can't draft a mid-round WR and/or the coaching staff can't develop a young WR. I think it's the former and that we need aa new approach to evaluating WRs or new people doing the valuation.

Our record of drafting and developing WRs is an embarassment and could really hurt this season when we might find ourselves in a game or two where the O must bail out the D.

People are forgetting that Doss in preseason was playing in mop up duty with Tyrod Taylor against 3rd string defenses. Torrey was lined up against Nnamdi and DeAngelo Hall last preseason in his first ever NFL games. Of course he's probably going to look real shaky. He also had 2 things going for him that Doss didn't: 1) he could consistently get open against NFL defenses, 2) he could learn the playbook.

Blog Entries

I think doss learning every position is being blown out of context. He was inactive because he didnt play STs not that he didnt know his position and to better his chances learned every position in hopes of more PT. Doss > williams but williams is more versatile. Doss will be hard to keep off the field but paying a guy like jones who hasnt shown much and automatically naming him the 3rd wr seems counter productive when you very may well have a better option in house. We know jones is soft and inconsistent and not a very good catcher. Doss we know is a good route runner with great hands and similar size and underrated speed but unproven on the nfl level. Thats the issue people have with the jones deal. Spending money on another vet thats just taking time away from a youngster with more potential. If it was somebody that has a history of being an under the radar wr it would be more understandable but honestly jones has been given a great situation to excel and has only been average at best and things will only be harder for him here so even similar production wont be realistic.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 06-04-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    -JAB

I agree, I would have felt better signing Jones if we got him for a good value. Adding competition to the #3 is fine, but I'm wondering if the staff will feel compelled to play him over the younger, inexperienced guys (who may have a higher ceiling than Jones.)